help with radio gear purchase for Bixler

dan c 1

Advert

If you put the word 'bixler' in the forum search box, Dan, you'll get a number of threads with plenty of information you might find useful......and some you probably won't....wink 2

Just a few comments on my Bixler 2. Mine arrived with too much built-in downthrust and it dived sharply when first launched. I put a washer on the upper motor mounting bolts and that has helped considerably.

I also found that a 2200 pack, even fitted at the rearmost point of the the battery section in the nose made it very nose-heavy. Excavating the raised bit of moulding on the floor would allow the pack to fit snugly in a more rearward position but I haven't looked to see whether removing material might compromise the strength of the fus.

I tend to use a 1300 or 1600 pack - no problem as I tend to climb and glide.

Flying with a sim certainly helps with getting used to model orientation and finger co-ordination but it can never completely substitute for flying a real model in real air!teeth 2

Pete

Hi Graham/Pete/Dan, Like you I have just bought the Bixler 2 also and have never flown R/C planes only Control line and that was 40 yrs ago so I bit of a challange, I bought a second hand a Spectrum DX6i it came with charger 4.5v ? and a Orange receiver, but I have been told the Orange it not much good so have just bought a Spectrum 6210 receiver (well ( 2) slipped up on e/bay and bought 2 receivers, my friend in Anglesey (who flies) r/c models that is, sent my an e/mail off this site today saying that there are a lot of fake Spectrum receivers coming from China etc, so I am a bit confused now ?how do you tell which is genuine ? but will do the range test , the Spectrum 6210 receivers are coming with the extra satalite receiver and bind plug, but like you graham the Bixler still in box till some more bits come. Tony.

No, they'll be OK but you'll need to set them more rearward than the intended bay to get the C of G in the right place, if you see what I mean.

The 3S 2200's are well worth having as they are useful in so many other models and are, to a certain extent, the 'first choice' size for many modellers.

Pete

Bear in mind it's only my opinion, Dan. I'm sure there are many other folk who have been using 2200's and not found battery placement a problem. It's just something to be aware of.

I didn't buy the 1300 and 1600's specifically for the Bixler - I already had them for other models. Otherwise, I'd have probably settled for the 2200'ssmile

By and large, the 2200's are much more useful in the long termthumbs up

Pete

Posted by Anthony Bowers on 15/11/2013 13:35:58:

Hi Graham/Pete/Dan, Like you I have just bought the Bixler 2 also and have never flown R/C planes only Control line and that was 40 yrs ago so I bit of a challange, I bought a second hand a Spectrum DX6i it came with charger 4.5v ? and a Orange receiver, but I have been told the Orange it not much good so have just bought a Spectrum 6210 receiver (well ( 2) slipped up on e/bay and bought 2 receivers, my friend in Anglesey (who flies) r/c models that is, sent my an e/mail off this site today saying that there are a lot of fake Spectrum receivers coming from China etc, so I am a bit confused now ?how do you tell which is genuine ? but will do the range test , the Spectrum 6210 receivers are coming with the extra satalite receiver and bind plug, but like you graham the Bixler still in box till some more bits come. Tony.

Hi Anthony,

Welcome to the forum. Plenty of returnees here like yourself and a wealth of info, freely-bestowed by the good folk hereteeth 2

Perhaps it's slightly off-topic but it's an interesting first post and I'll to try to put your mind at ease over the advice you've had regarding the kit you have bought.

Which Orange Rx have you bought? In my experience, I've found the majority to be as reliable as genuine Spektrum Rx's and I use them in a number of models.

Re the Spektrum Ar6210's bought on Ebay, I would say that the best indication of whether they are genuine or counterfeit will be the price. With the best will in the world, if what you paid is 50% or less than the average retail price, then I'd be a bit suspicious. Can you link to the Ebay item? - we'll be in a better position to make a judgement.

Bear in mind that there are plenty of genuine sellers on there, too - I've had my share of bargain buys with very few problems, whatever the purchase.

As far as identifying the counterfeit product, a Google search will probably throw up a few pointers - IIRC there is a suggestion that a blue label can be indicative - I believe Paul Marsh might be able to help here....

As I said, this is a bit off-topic so to avoid spoiling Dan's thread, feel free to start a new one, perhaps in the JR/Spektrum section, with some details of what you have bought...thumbs up

Pete

Hi Dan, Pete/Anthony Have not bothered with undercarriage, as I fly from a rough field so I am also flying the stratos with the wheels removed. Like you I am now a little bit worried about my 2250 battery, have not got to sorting the balance point yet, will see how it goes. as for thrust lines etc, I hope I don't have to go there, you would have thought that hobbyking would have sorted that. I have also got an orange receiver, I know that there have been some bad reports about them but also some people swear by them. but again I may buy a genuine spectrum before I fly. As to simulators, I wondered about how close sims are to the real thing, the only thing I can say is that the Stratos on the sim flies remarkably similar to the real thing. I only fly on days with no wind.

Graham

Hi fellas, I fly with a 2200 3 cell in the Bixler 2 and have to have it tight into the nose to get a decent c of g. flies nice and stable with a hand launch at level and 3/4 to full throttle. Fitted the flaps but never bother using them IMO a waste of 2 servos + the extra weight. I do find that it can be a little slow at reacting on reduced rates and there are times I think it will never complete the roll so consequently always fly on full rates. IMO a brilliant starter plane that's very forgiving and will fly extremely slow, good luck with the builds and let us know how you get on fellas......G

I found the 2200 3 cell perfect for the Bixler 2 but needs to go right up to the nose to get the centre of gravity correct, Mind you I have moved the RX and all the servo wires to the middle of the plane by making a small hatch in the side of the fuselage,

I think this is a good mod as it keeps the front end nice n tidy for the battery and ESC .

Oooo nice paint job Mr Roberts ! Impressed

Well Bixler II ordered - Have to sit back and wait for Mr Posty now. I've gone for 2 x 2200 25c 3s packs and a accucell 6- 50w charger.

Decided to stick with my 35mhz t7cp tx & Rx because I love it and it works with my sim. Ill look at buying the 2.4ghx mod for it  down the line.

Just need to remove the Phoenix & rx from my eco 8 now and figure out how to make it work in a plane............Hmmmm

Edited By dan c 1 on 16/11/2013 14:41:10

Hi John,

Welcome to the forum! Very nice job on your Bixler - what paint did you use, given that EPO can be a difficult surface to cover?

It's interesting that you and Gliggsy have found that you need to get a 2200 pack well forward - which is why I qualified my advice. There must be a reason for the variation.....

Pete

May be the paint ! blush No really the only thing I have done different is put the RX inside the fus' just behind centre of gravity , As for flying if I put a slightly smaller battery in ie 1.8 3 cell it goes tail heavy and is a pig to fly, the difference with the batteries is 1oz/25gms !! that's how touchy it is sad

The paint is from "RANGE" Artists water based spray paint the grey is Tamiya acrylic water based model paint

Think these are sold at Hobby Craft shops as well, I have done the under side with black and yellow stripes to aid orientation. ( I'll add a picture)