Sukhoi su-26

Jamie sawyer

Advert

• 2 weeks later...

wp_20131130_001[1].jpg

I chose to go for the closed loop system for the rudder in the end. This picture shows the system installed and epoxied in place. I've epoxied some plastic tube in the holes where the wires run to make sure there is no binding.

wp_20131130_002[1].jpg

I then chose to fill in the aft upper part of the air frame with polystyrene. This was a first for me and the hot wiring technique that I used was some what primitive but it did work sort of blush..... but the finished profile was a bit rugged to say the least lol but I did achive the curve I wanted....laugh

wp_20131130_003[1].jpg

Here is the tail fin finished ready to sand. I had a few problems getting it perfectly vertical and square but I got there in the end.

wp_20131130_004[1].jpg

And now I am well on the way through the sheeting process. This is the part that I am enjoying the most. This fuselage is really starting to take shape with the sheeting on.

wp_20131130_005[1].jpg

More sheeting....

wp_20131202_004[1].jpg

wp_20131203_004[1].jpg

This shows the wing seating rib in place. This part was a real head scratching point in the build and I hope I have got it right or it will be the death of the whole build. I have both sides done now and set at 0 deg running perfectly parallel with the fuselage. The wings and tail plane run at 0 deg incidence.

wp_20131203_005[1].jpg

And here I am tonight, more sheeting under way...smile p

There are a couple of bits on the sheeting that have a mm gap here and there but a good bit of sanding and tlc will get it looking nice and smooth.

I have just weighed the airframe and for those that are interested it is weighing it is exactly 5 Lbs and that is 2.75 Kgs so it is looking good on the weight front. Hope you like the build

Jamie

Thanks Cymaz, its nice to get some feed back from someone. I ordered the closed loop system from the link you gave me. 100cc size. Very quick delivery from them. I'll be getting the push rods from them to I think.

I've already ordered the solar film for it's color scheme which I'm going to keep a secret just now lol..... Its a demanding color scheme and maybe out of my skill level but I'm going to give it a go. Hope it works out because if it does it'll be stunning.

Up till now the out lay on wood for the fuselage and tail is standing at £150 with delivery costs included. Not to bad really for the size of this plane.

Jamie

wp_20131205_001[1].jpg

Ok so a wee update on my progress on this 1/3rd scale beast. This is a picture of the belly access hatch underneath. The ply platform inside is where some of the electrics are going to be situated. At the top of the picture I have added an extra hatch that I can get a hand in in case I need to. I'd hate to have to cut a hole at a later date.

wp_20131206_001[1].jpg

I finished sheeting the belly and then fitted the tail plane. You can see the servo position below the tail plane and there is another on the other side also. Nice short direct controls on the elevator teeth 2 I like

wp_20131208_002[1].jpg

I started setting out the elevators and built 2 identical ones. Not many pictures to tell the story but they are finished and sanded. 1 is covered and the other I will cover tomorrow night.

I've used a sq meter of blue solar film by the time I cover the second elevator. 2 Elevators and a ridder = 1 sq meter thinking....I'm going to need a lot of this covering material lol

wp_20131209_005[1].jpg

a picture from above with the controls in place. The hinges aren't glued yet but It's nice to have a look any way lol

Now a wee touch on the electrics.........wp_20131209_007[1].jpg

4600 mah of batterys

3 heavy duty 18 kg servos......1 of which I can't find right now lol

2 battery monitors which I might mount in the cockpit area for easy checking.

I've found somewhere to get a nice composite under carriage but the canopy is an issue right now. A bit of research will hopefully get me there or I'll need to build a plug and get one made by someone.

Up till now the hours I've spent on this are scary.....really building up now ....I'd say I'm around the 100 hours but I'm not counting. £200 spent also. Hopefully have a nice plane at the end that will turn heads laugh

Posted by Rich2 on 10/12/2013 06:26:58:

excellent thumbs up

on the battery monitors, I mount mine in the cockpit for the same reason.

Rich

ps where's the motor? wink

Edited By Rich2 on 10/12/2013 06:29:19

LoL the motor is still in the shop Rich crying.......

Once Christmas is out of the way I will try and make an effort to buy it lol.

100cc Flat twin is £550 in Als hobbies...

In hobby king there $400

Im in a bit of a dilema for what to do on it to be honest...

I'd love the flat twin 100cc but think an 80cc will be ok to.....

I'll weigh it all once I've done the full build and ponder a wee bit more maybe...

I showed my dad it for the first time the other day and he stated " DON'T fly that thing unless I'm there with the video camera" lol so you may be lucky to get a video of the maiden after all of this to dont know

I forgot to mention the battery source is 6v to.

Thanks for looking Jamie

I'm sure I remember reading on here DLE motors are very reliable. That flat twin will look the part in the nose and at that price its almost unbearable not to go and buy it smile p....

Smoke system's are around £100 but it will be an add on after the maiden. I don't want to go to crazy untill I've satisfied she will fly and be a predictable every weekend flyer. The weight is a deciding factor to and a 1/2 liter of diesel on board and additional battery might be the straw that breaks the camels back lol. Time will tell.

Jamie

• 2 weeks later...

Ok I have just about reached the wing build and will upload some pictures soon.

I hope everyone has a brilliant Christmas and new year. Only 2 days to go now.

My question is which Phenolic Tube dia should I go for ??

Here is where I am buying from

**LINK**

I have now decided to do away with the M6 threaded bolts into Rib 1 and now install threaded rod which is going to extend right into R3 and have some access hatches in the wings to put some nuts on.

Ill upload some more pics later on. The fuselage is just about covered now smiley

Jamie

Edited By Jamie sawyer on 23/12/2013 09:31:00

Posted by cymaz on 19/11/2013 06:42:31:

If you want really good stuff try HERE. It would be a shame to lose a model through a cheap linkage-after all your efforts.

As my dad used to say "why spoil the ship for a half-penny worth of tar".

Thanks for that.. Will be useful for my project as well.

This looks like an excellent build blog - following with interest.

Martyn