The 71" span ME-110 build

After what seemed an eternity I finaly had my plan and could at last start the build of my Brian Taylor BF 110.

Its now the start of day 7 and I have already built up the internal structure of the fuselage and plank covered the nose section as well as getting most of the fins and rudders completed. Tonight should see me get the tail section finished covered and fitted. (with any luck)

However I ordered some engine cowls and a canopy off Bob Holman in the states about 7 weeks ago, he assured me he could get the parts but as yet nothing has turned up.

Does anyone out there hava a canopy and/or engine cowls for this plane? Pleas let me know if you have before I make them.

Sorry I have no photos yet but they will appear round about the 20th April when I get my camera back.

I'll keep posting to let you know my progress.    Al

Advert

• 2 months later...

I've had this plan for around15years, and still not got around to building it! It was one of Brian's very early designs and hence has fixed gear and I don't recall flaps being shown on the plan either?

Do you intend to add retracts and flaps to your model, and what power source are you going for? I'll be interested in following your build progress

Cheers,

Walts. 

Dear Walts,

Do you mean with fixed gear the undercarriage?

Landing Flaps are don´t shown on the plan.

I´m not sure to add retractable undercarriage and flaps to the model. because its my first model in Balsawood construction. Its also a question of the money.

I try to run the model with fuel: 4-6 ccm³ 2 Stroke. 

I try to take same pictures of the bulding process!

br

Hi Stefan,

If it is your first balsa build then it would probably be better for you to build as per the plan. Adding retracts and flaps will require a bit of redesign work which is maybe best left for the next one once you have got used to working with balsa constructions, but let us know how it goes which ever way you choose to build it

Cheers,

Walts. 

Hi Stefan,

A bit more information about the part you are discribing would be helpful to give a correct reply. But if you are refering to vertical grain webbing between top & bottom wing spars this is normal balsa wood, normally quite thin around 1/16th thick (the plan should state the thickness) It is applied with the grain running vertically between the spars in small sections to fit snug between each wing rib. It gives great strength to the structure for It's relative light weight. The idea is that under flying load the wings top spar will be trying to compress whilst it's bottom spar will be trying to stretch. With enough loading this can cause a wing to fail & snap through both spars. The sheet webbing.............also known as shear webbing will lock the whole structure together adding tons of strength for very little weight gain, but it is important that the grain of these pieces is vertical not horizontal

If I have got the complete wrong idea of what you are trying to discribe please let us know so we can try and answer correctly.

HTH's

Walts. 

Hy Walts,

Your discribtion is exactly this what i need. I study the plan again and a saw the discribtion for the sheet web.  There was to read that the grain has to run vertically between the spars.

So i can use "normal" Balsa wood.

I hope you can read my english.

Thanks walts!

Yep, normal balsa is what you should use The whole idea of shear webbing is that it is made from light weight materials but provides excellent strength due to the way the components are built together.

Your English is fine Stefan...............No worries there mate

Walts.

• 1 month later...

Hello Stefan, hello Walts. Sorry I have been away for such a long time but I had some trouble at home and stopped my build. However I have now started to build again and will put some photos on the thread ASAP.

I am having great trouble sourcing a canopy and will probably end up making one to suit, but if you know where I can get one then please let me know.

I have had to change the plan slightly because the engines I am using sit further back in order to place the spinners in the same place as the drawing, this resulted in moving the bulkheads. I also intend fitting flaps and retracts and will show you photos as I progress. More soon   Al

Al

You can get the canopies and all the other accesories for Brian Taylor plans from Traplet Publications (the opposition!) following Brian's decision to sell his business.

If you type in "Traplet" to Google and look for online shop you will be able to browse their catalogue. The section you need is "Construction Plans" - "Aircraft Plans" - "Brian Taylor Scale plans" and the Bf110 canopy is part CA3326CY , cost  £9.00. Job's a good 'un....

Yes, welcome back Al, i look forward to your updates on this build

Alan,

Thats interesting, I knew Brian was winding down and his parts were getting very hard to get hold of, but I didn't realise he had sold the lot on to Traplet. I done a search on there for Mosquito parts and it returned parts for a 71" and 81" versions......................I presume these are BT parts, but the website doesn't give any info re the designer of these models??? If they are then thats great as I will still be able to build the BT plans that I already have.............................and get the parts for them Although they seem quite expensive at £60 odd for a pair of fiber glass cowls for the 81" Mossie

Walts.

Hey Al2 thanks for your absolutely fantastic information. I've just this minute ordered 2. Well knowing me I'll break it if I only order 1.

I was going to put some photos on but as I turned the camera on the batteries were flat. I've put them on charge and the pics should be on tomorrow or probably Friday.

Thanks again. Its good to be back!

It took a bit to get my head back into model building but now I'm getting back into it.

I've got 2x brand new SC52FS  to fit into it. I've just ordered a twin remote glow, the one on my bf 109 is fantastic!

I have had to re arrange a few bits on the drawing but hey don't we all? All I need to do now is get the spring air retracts ordered and cram em in!

More photos to follow.         Al

looks fantastic Al ! Like the tail end a lot with the scale hinges and even trim tabs, very swish are you building with CNC parts? only there seems to be some burnt edges to some of the ribs, a tell tail sign normally of laser cutting. If so where from? begining to wonder why I never built this plan now seeing how you are getting on with it.............keep it coming mate

Walts.

well spotted Walts, its a Brian Taylor plan and the kit was cut by belair. When I asked about the kit the man at belair informed me that he couldn't supply canopy or cowls and should try and source them elsewhere. The partial kit was £170 including postage and when I got it I think that I should have just made the parts myself. It stated that there were over 170 parts (which there were) but some of the parts were doubled up and the wing tips were not included even though it said they were! Also a few of the parts were cut wrong. Add that to the fact that laser cut parts have 90 degree edges and they need sanding to suit, well I would definately do it all myself next time.

I rang Bob Holman in America who assured me on more than one occasion that he could get the canopy and cowls but it may take him a few weeks, possibly up to 6 or 7weeks. Well that was 7 months ago and he doesn't even answer my emails now! luckily Alan on the last page told me where to find the canopy and I have ordered 2. Cheers Alan

I have started to hack the wing to bits today and have now produced one of the flaps. I think thats enough for today. Al