New lipo storage

dan c 1

Advert

Yes, the prop is almost certainly out of balance, although I've seen far worse shake (on my vids!) than your video.

The noise is a function of the small prop and high revs - the Bixler is by far the noisiest model I fly....which is one reason why I climb and glideface 8

Pete

dan

On you video you can tell the prop is out of balance before you even launch it!

If you listen as it speeds up it goes through a very pronounced vibration period normally as a result of the natural frequency of the motor mounting matching the frequency of the prop vibration.

At higher rpm it appears to smooth out somewhat but if at some point the higher frequency matches the resonant frequency of your Mobius mount then you get picture 'rippling'.

If you are going to do much 'in plane' videoing get a good prop balancer!

In the absence of a pukka balancer, this would do at a pinch:

I managed with one of these for quite a while - just used the rims of a pair of whisky tumblers to balance it on.
I now have a magnetic prop balancer - similar idea to the simple one - but it's no longer listed at HK.
Pete

Ive tried to do the above balancing . I cant see that mine is out of balance. No matter what I do I can not get it to drop one side or the other. Maybe its friction but it seams to stay level.

Doesnt help that where the prop wants to sit on the rod is at one side so it just wants to lean forward if you know what I mean. These spacer things, and the hole does'nt go right through from one side to the other. <<<That does not make much sense!

Mobious is after all , bolted to the top of the fuse no more that 5 or 6 inches away from the motor. Maybe its just to close to it?

I have bought a new prop anyway to try .

Edited By dan c 1 on 22/01/2014 14:38:32

My prop adapter is slightly bent. I can see when the motor is running slowly with out prop on. I think the motor shaft is straight.

Is there anywhere in the UK you can buy such things without daft postage charges? Any good shops for recommendation?

Edited By dan c 1 on 23/01/2014 14:14:36

I'd normally suggest Giantshark as a source of prop adaptors but since the change of name they are a shadow of their former selves - the stock situation is inevitably utterly abysmal and navigating around the website is a nonsense.....sad

That 2.4mm shaft seems to be distinctly non-standard, although the adaptor is available. 2.3mm is the nearest stock item but it would seem that it won't fit the Bixler motor.

TBH, I didn't see the vibration on the video as being particularly bad. If you do want to sort it, it might be worth changing the motor for a similar spec with a 3mm shaft - it'll be sturdier all round.

With prop adaptors, you really need to get the right size - close isn't good enough. The difference between 3mm and 3.17mm means that neither will fit the other....

Pete

Yes, non standard ! That's my luck ! The vibration is more of a big ripple effect across the film. You can see it in HD for sure but not so much when its been uploaded.   You can vaguely see it at around  40 seconds in  on the web video but some of the other footage I have shows it quite bad. Doesn't look great. Ill try changing these adapters with the new prop and see if it goes first.

Looks like hobbyking it is !

Edited By dan c 1 on 23/01/2014 19:54:31

• 4 weeks later...

Hi pete.

Hope you're well.

I've had some great flights lately - Really enjoying it and the mobius. Just gets better and better does'nt it.

Kind of lost sight of it up in the clouds the other day trying to get some footage - slight panic!! But found it again luckily. These things get so high eh.

Anyway , I decided to by a new Tx battery the other week as my old pack in the Tx didnt seam to be lasting more than 2 outings. I charged it up last week and it just went straight to warning on the Tx. Mind you, lt is about 7 years old so its done well.

I purchased a 9.9v LiFe battery from hobby king. It's currently balance charging happily away but looks like the end voltage will be 10.80 volts. Is that ok for the Futaba radio? Considering the old nicad pack was 9.6v

Do you or anyone confirm it will be ok before I plug it in fully charged to the Tx?