So Slow Loading the Site.

Steve Woodward

Advert

No, I can't say I've had a problem with speed of loading. The forum software is alittle flakey in places, but speed is not the usual issue. It might be worthwhile mentioning what operating system and browser you are using, also which ISP - if others mention a speed issue it might help narrow down the cause. Speed is an issue that has been mentioned on another forum, and there most people have no problems, but some get slow speeds. I don't think they've narrowed down the issue yet. But, as I said, that's on a different forum!

For the record I have no speed issues here, running Firefox 25.0.1 under Windows 7 Pro and using PlusNet.

Posted by Mark Stevens 1 on 27/11/2013 19:23:01:

One tip is to try clearing your browser cache as this will slow things if it is full or almost full.

I doubt it Mark! There's no reason a full cache should cause sites to display any slower, and a completely empty cache is almost guaranteed to make sites load more lowly until all the various files it caches are downloaded again rather than quickly retrieved from the cache.

Clearing the cache can sometimes solve odd problems - like sites displaying old/inconsistent images etc.

The cache is there to speed up browsing. Things like images and in some cases style sheets and JacaScript files are saved to your local PC so that they are used rather than downloading the file from the websites server, hence speeding up the page loading.

In a modern browser the cache does not get "full" as such but it can get quite big and the browser manages the size. Very old versions of Internet Explorer used to have a fixed cache size that you could manually increase under internet settings. This was because hard drives were quite small and expensive.