Ever wanted to get into or improve your aerobatics?

Peter Jenkins

Advert

• 4 weeks later...

Following the second abort of the New Pilot Open Day (NPOD) at Raydon due to unhelpful weather (!), I've set a new date of Sunday 9th August. This has meant that some entrants have had to withdraw due to holiday and other commitments.

So, I have four vacancies if anyone would like to give precision aerobatics a go with a mentor by their side for the day. PM me your email and I'll send you the details.

I will give preference to pilots from the East Anglia Area as the Area committee is funding much of this event.

Peter

Yesterday, I was asked to test fly a Great Planes Revolver - this is the 59 fitted with an OS 46. Despite the engine idle mixture not being right - there wasn't an ole in the cowl to make the adjustment and we couldn't get the cowl off easily.....never mind ...... I opted to fly it with a higher idle than I wanted.

The aircraft had been set up as per the instructions. Take off was brisk and a straight line was easy to hold. Once I'd sorted out a slight nose down and roll to the right, I tested out the CG, which gave a gently nose drop when inverted, the thrust line , both side thrust and up/down thrust were spot on, and on right knife edge there was no coupling while with left KE there was a pull to the canopy but not much of one. I didn't manage to get her to stall/spin as the owner had not put in more than one rate which was ideal for aerobatics but not enough to stall the aircraft in a normal manner. Vertical performance on the 46 was a lot better than I was expecting and large loops were possible.

I was suitably impressed with the aircraft so thought I'd share this with you. This is not only a scale looking aircraft but is also capable of flying the Clubman and Intermediate schedules easily. It's a bit on the expensive side at £190 but you do get a lot for your money.

And, according to the adverts, this can be run on ELECTRIC: -

Electric Motor Requirements:

800kV brushless outrunner motor (GPMG4725),

80A brushless ESC,

2 x 3200mAh 11.1V 20C LiPo packs,

11 x 5.5E prop,

large aluminium motor mount

which makes it attractive to the quiet, clean brigade!

EG

Hi Peter I have had a couple of the 90 size ones, and i think it is one of the best planes i have flown, the first i put an ASP91 fs in it and it was brill, i lost it when i was distracted when getting it ready for flying one day, i forgot the wing bolt in one of the wings, i electrified the rebuilt version and the one that followed it, lost both of those with loss of radio contact

Will buy another when funds allow super model

Tony

Good to hear Tony that your experiences mirror my immediate impression.

Yes, Geoff, you are correct, it can be flown with IC or electric power and has a large canopy hatch to assist in battery changes. A well sorted conversion in other words. It's also quite light, so don't think you can get away with too many heavy landings!

Found this site earlier today (from a Facebook page)

It's a very nice sequence of videos on flying the 'Australian' Sportsman Schedule. Just a word of warning that (if you are in the Northern Hemisphere) when it says straight and level it means inverted and when it says inverted, it means straight and level.

Apart from that it is very useful and recommended Viewing - you will need about an hour to take it all in.

TalkingAerobatics

Enjoy

Martyn

Edited By Martyn K on 01/07/2015 11:16:58

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think F3A wings are that thin Martyn, but I'm away from home for some time so cannot measure the wing thickness of my Toxiris. The chord tends to be much larger than for the vintage machines so perhaps that's what makes it look thin. I'm sure Chris will chip in with the figures for the Axiome bipe. My Amethyst bipe wings weren't that thin - I would guess 12-15% would be nearer the mark for that airframe.

Mind you, I don't like the look of the Axiome Bipe. A bipe with a forward canopy just doesn't look right!

Simon - did you ever get an answer to your question about CG and control throws? If not, then a good starting place would be CG at 30% of MAC and set low rates at 10 deg deflection up and down for aileron and elevator and 25 deg for rudder and see how that feels. Adjust from there.

The HK Ionos midi sized F3A is included in the current HK Sale. However, you will get the best deal if you buy the Ionos from the Euro Warehouse (International is Cheapest (£89) but carriage is extortionate). The Euro price is about £115 including postage

BW

Martyn

Thoroughly recommend this airframe. I have one (it used to be called the Monolog 70). With a 5S pack you can fly the Clubman schedule with ease and with a 6S pack it will fly the FAI P schedule. A very competent airframe. The Monolog could also take a 50 2 stroke or 70 4 stroke. The Ionos is identical in construction to the Monolog so you should be able to use ic as well despite it not being mentioned in the HK blurb. If using a 50 2 stroke I'd recommend fitting a throttle pipe - you can never have too much power in an aerobatic machine! Remember, power controls your rate of climb and descent and elevator controls speed. Remember, you need to use the throttle and elevator smoothly all the time you are flying so that you achieve a near constant speed for the entire manoeuvre being flown - unless, of course, you are flying a stall turn or spin!

I bought an Ionos during the last HK sale and am building it IC. It is nearly identical to a Monolog but there are subtle differences. It appears that little bits of CAD have changed just to make the two appear different.

On the IC front, I have carefully un-stuck the supplied electric front end structure by prising the ply bits apart (This sort of shows how rubbish the glue is but it's more a case of rubbery than non-existent). Fortunately one of the forumites gave me the IC ply bits from a Monolog kit which saved me having to think too much.

Trouble is, I am enjoying my electric Monolog so much that I'm in no hurry to complete the IC Ionos - to be honest I thought the Monolog would be in broken bits by now!

For anyone considering pattern ship, the Ionos is a steal at the sale price (IMO)

Well - and probably against my better judgement, this arrived today..

dscn1956.jpg

Inside was another box

dscn1957.jpg

And inside was a very carefully packed ARTF

dscn1958.jpg

Its not going to get touched for a couple of months, but it's a start. 3 working day turnaround from order to delivery from the Hobby King EU warehouse has to be admired..

Need to get at least 2 proper builds out of the way before I start this. A build (or rather assembly frown) blog may follow if there is enough interest

Martyn

Martyn - congrats! You won't regret it once you've flown it. Are you going to use electric or ic power? If using electric, then get in touch with Chris Bond about the motors he recommends for a 5S set up. I think he recommends a fairly high kv motor but can't remember the name or designation. I used an AXi with a relatively low kv of 450. That needs a 6S for unlimited performance. It will fly OK on a 5S provided I up the prop size to get the current draw up to max wattage but a 6S is better.

Shouldn't take you more than a couple of evenings to get it assembled. The tricky bit is fitting the rudder and elevator servos for which you will need some long servo arms.

A build blog would be great but more important will be your views on its flying qualities.

Peter