Bird of Time Kit build

Bill Worsley

I am contemplating building a Bird Of Time from the kit that Sussex Model Centre supply. Could anyone tell me what the kit contains, and what else is needed to complete the build in the way of L/E, T/E etc. I have quite a bit of balsa in hand but is there much needed in the way of hardwood and ply. I want to get all I need ready for the build after Christmas.

Any help would be gratefully received. Thanks

Bill W..

Bill, I know of a couple of people who have bought the kit and have complained about the quality of the wood, die-cutting etc. If you are ok building from plans, there are plans available on EBay for about £10. I followed this route and whilst it took more time It cost less overall and I was sure that I'd got the best materials. SLEC cut all the main wing inner panel ribs for me at around £26 for 2 sets. The outer panel were simple to cut by hand - just 2 off each section is required.

If you require more advice PM me.

Hi Bill,

for what it's worth I'd go along with Barrie's suggestion as the wood in the kit isn't always the best.

Unless you're keen to build her strictly as originally designed, the BoT does benefit from having the fuselage stretched a little which is easily incorporated into a plan built version, or you can go the whole hog (as I did) and replace the fuselage with a Bubble Dancer style pod and boom - very light and leaves the option of a longer nose and a bolt-on wing if required.

Happy pondering, Pete

phone pics 1204.jpg

Hi All,

Thanks for the replies. After reading a lot of negative comments in relation to the quality of the balsa in the kits, I have decided to go via the scratch build route.

I am getting the plans from RCM in the US. Also from the US I am getting laser cut wing ribs. No-one seems to do laser cut in the UK only die-cut. The last die-cut I got in a kit looked like they were done on a Friday with blunt dies!!

I was going to replace the wing spars entirely with either C/F rectangular tube or the solid rectangular C/F. Once again the only place I can get it is from CST is, You've guessed it, the USA. The postage for the 1/8" x 3/8" is prohibitive for the lengths needed. I have tried all the C/F manufacturers and suppliers in the UK, and they all produce or stock a very, very limited range of C/F. What is available on the CST site is amazing. I will be motorising this Bird, with R/C rudder and stabiliser/elevator.

Pete, would there be room in the Bubble dancer Fuse for control of the tail feathers by R/C?? If not does anyone know if it is possible to buy the Bird ARF fuse as a separate item, I haven't been able to find one anywhere.

Tim, If mine turns out as good as Netty's I will be a very happy bunny.

Hopefully the build will start in the new year. As the Bird has been done before, does anyone remember how many sheets of balsa/ply/spruce etc that is required? A long shot I know, but some people might have kept a note??

Thanks

Bill.

Hi Bill,

there's plenty of room in the fuselage for servos etc. Mine is 'Leccy powered with room for the motor, gearbox, esc and a 2200 3 cell LiPo with room to spare, although the servos are in the fin on mine for super-short control runs.

My fuselage pod is really just a sawn-off standard BoT fuselage, but if I was to build another (watch this space) I'd use one of these from Kristoffair. There's a bit more inspiration here

Ray Hayes of Skybench offers some sage advice for adding carbon spars and the pros and cons of doing so, along with a whole host of useful stuff.

As for laser cutting in the UK, there are lots of folks about doing this now; SLEC, Belair designs, GAD and Float-fly to name just four. Any of them would be only too happy to quote for a set of ribs and the dxf files are available for the BoT from Yahoo groups here. Having said that, if you got your rib set from Mountain Models then I think these are the same.

One point to ponder over, if you look at the newer Drela sections used on many modern gliders and compare them with the TLAR section used by Dave Thornburg on the BoT, you'll notice a remarkable similarity! Might go some way to explaining why the BoT still works so well for a 35 yr old design wink

Do keep us all posted

With ref the moving Tailplane/Stabilator. As someone new to Gliding I can see the point to it with an un-powered glider, as a de-thermaliser to end the flight after a given time. With R/C gliders seeming to be more and more prevalent, I personally can't see any advantage in them over the traditional elevator. In my mind I want to build the BOT with "Traditional" elevators. Could anyone with the knowledge let me know what the advantages/disadvantages of both the "Stabilator" and the elevator system of control. Thanks Bill W.

Thanks Peter for your information about Laser cutting in the UK. I had a look on the Belair website and found that they do a 60" wingspan kit of the Bird of Time. As I am relatively new to Gliding I thing rather than go for the full-size version I will opt for the Belair Kit. Has anyone built this kit? I would want to electrify it and would appreciate comments relating to the motors fitted. Thanks Bill

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all, I have just received the Belair laser cut wing ribs and a plan. Does anyone know of any build instructions for this Kit. There are plenty for the Isthmus Models 2 meter version that uses different size wood. I can work from the plans, but why re-invent the wheel. If nothing else it will make the build a bit quicker. Cheers Bill.

Hi Bill - if you Google "Bird of Time Build a Threads" you will be spoilt for choice. I confirm that a look at Ray Hayes "Skybench Aerotech" site is well worthwhile. He does several variations on the Bird of Time theme. His kits are very reasonable and you may not have to pay Import/handling charges. I may have been lucky though. I like the way some "old" kits have been scaled up in size but they take a lot of building. You could also check Billkits who advertised in the latest BMFA newsletter for laser cutting and foam wings.

I have received my wing ribs etc, laser-cut by Belair. The ribs are well done and cut using the measurements from the ribs outlined next to the Tailplane. The trouble I have is that the actual plan supplied is not very good, and it is impossible to build on the plan. It looks like it is a plan that has been knocked up by an amateur draughtsman. The measurements of both wings are different, both in width and length. Consequently, the positioning of the ribs are different on each wing half. Does anyone know if anyone else does a 60" version of the BOT, and produces a decent plan??

Thanks

Bill W.