What I Have In Common With Douglas Bader

I took my Telemaster 40, Super Sixty and Foamy WOT 4 to the flying field today.

I was flying the T40 quite gently, mostly horizontal eights but also a few loops and Immelmanns. I got the model straight and level and transferred the transmitter to my right hand in order to glance at my wristwatch. Having looked up, I saw that the model was in a curving dive but when I reached for the right hand stick, I fly Mode 2, I noticed that it wasn't there anymore! I worked out pretty quickly, that if I got the wing tips level using the rudder and and pushed the throttle stick forward the model would climb, and models don't tend to crash when they are going upwards! So using the left hand stick I righted it and then got the model to climb. I was then able to pick up the right-hand stick which had fallen at my feet, fit it into place and regain full control. I have subsequently cyanoed it in.

It rather reminded me of a story, which is supposed to be true, concerning Douglas Bader, the well-known WW2 Wing Commander, while he was learning to fly in the 1920's. Apparently there was a rather brusque flying instructor who, when he thought that the pupil was ready for his first unassisted landing was in the habit of removing his joystick, tapping the pilot on the shoulder with it and throwing it over the side! Pupils sat in the front seat of the Avro and of course, as the instructor had thrown away his joystick, the pupil had to land the aircraft. Bader had heard about this and was famous for his sense of mischief so he took a spare joystick with him when he felt that he was about ready for his first unassisted landing. True to form the instructor tapped Bader on the shoulder with his joystick. Bader turned round to face his instructor who waved the control column in Bader's face and then threw it over the side. Bader faced the front as if concentrating on flying the aircraft, then after a minute or two he turned round in his seat, rapped the spare joystick on the cockpit coaming, waved it in the instructor's face, then threw that over the side!

The expression on the instructor's face must have been priceless!