Pick a plane 2008

Advert

Ernst Blofelt?More like 'Dogface' Brezniev -  'design a Delta or die'......................... I like the latest two from Tony Mig 25 and Lightning though.Rumour has it that when the Mig 25 that defected to Japan was returned to Russia some months later it was in 22 packing crates and complete with recommendation that the main armament was not fired at full speed because it would rip the wings off....................                                 regards,    Terry

Erflog mentioned the Fairey FD2 which held the World Speed Record at one time but the aircraft that managed it was later modified as the BAC 221, I have sat in the other one of the pair which is still in original spec and it is like sitting in a mouse trap.

There isnt a lot of room for 5' 10'' and fifteen stone I can tell you and once the canpy is closed I hope your not claustrophobic cause it aint half a tght fit,  NO rear view whatsoever past 90 degrees left or right and bugger all forward with the nose in flight configuration, shouldnt imagine much more with it drooped either.

Compared with todays aircraft the FD2 is small and quite dainty looking almost fragile with the thin wing and spindly olio's but beautifully proportioned with no big air scoops or sticky out bits, you can see at first glance the influence it had on the Mirage design,

regards,          Terry

P.S I remember seeing a FD2 plan from a mag on eBay a while back but cant remember who produced it.

Thank you Chris S.  Yes it is a P. Wilson's, which I have redesgined the complete wing and necales, to accomodate  2 x T T 54 four strokes, with fowler flaps and retract u/c........Now,....  that's 4 plans I have, But  3 are electric, I will take all of their idea's.... at least I won't have to manufacture spinners,..... Barry 

Yes Terry , and  others I did give it a BIG try, "But" it's the time frame "given" and the social stigma with 'well documented" aircraft, that sit in the forefront of  most "staid" minds, Ecconomics also come into "play". How do sell a mag  "special"  in which not may people have seen or heard of the aircraft, 112 against 7500 or so, there was not a lot one can do. I can only point out, to which Tony stated in the mag that " he had / given a "cowl" to which he based  his Typhoon on last year. Many aircraft where " suggest" , Japanese, Russian and all makes of lesser known aircraft, It takes month's, even to redesign, a plan,( i know )even to build, test fly, adj, and then submit  to the "mag" before it even's go to press,  SO, it is going to be a model that the "mag" dosn't have to listen to, to many member's complaining that "that's too hard" and with the less expreienced guy's IT has to made, so the model is almost "idiotproof",  and as for the placing's of the winner's "list", I will just leave it, with"no comment". I hope it is a success, and as I said in one of my earlier "thread's Tony, I will pursue on the matter about a "Whirlwind"........... David , Thank's....  and to TEX's "it really was a great effort you put in",     Barry

Barry

I do find it hard to believe that the Hurricane won. During the period that I monitored the voting, its standing was very poor. There were so many in front of it. With regards to its commercial viability, time will tell. I have never ever seen a Mick Reeves Hurricane, yet the advertising was extensive.

To more pleasant things. I note that you have many plans of the Whirlwind. I have also noted that most scale plans are targeted at either Super scale, or stand off (often very scale in outline, but compact). I have also noted that most scale aircraft at the local field are stand off or you could say practical scale models.

It would be nice to have a practical scale Whirlwind. With your inventory it might be possible to pick out the best design/constructional features. RCM&E could well be interested in such a model if they do not already have one in their catalogue. In this era being in the land "Down Under" is probably not the issue it used to be. Of course it should be designed for brushless and Lipo (but then again, noise is probably an issue, if it is only crocs, roos and widdgery grubs that you have to worry about).

So I look forward to your 60 inch, 300w, no undercarriage practical scale model being printed by David Asby in the RCM&E.

Ohh you could do the Welkin.

Erfolg

THe wife spilt "tea" on the key board, and I lost 1/2 of my letters, well some, got a new one.YES Tony said he would to get a plan in a future issue, of what size or power  plant ? I have not received the Chris Gold's one yet, but for those who are interesed, RC Groups has a lenghty forum on the Whirlwind, thre are some factors that I find, from the report's,that would need to be "addressed, wing profile, alignment of the wing, tailplane and engine's "incidence lines" to that of the datum line,in other words "setting up all for these at 0 deg's, that comes from G Whitehead, in his assestment. Me, I just "listen".....  and some great shot's of the model, (C.Gold's ), and a Weilken, would be great , but for "Info" , I have never tried.... anybody help...... Barry

Well its about time someone did a model on the Hawker Hurricane as its very hard to even find a decent scale model of one i will be looking forward to the ppics and build reviews from Tony and can you make it 60" wingspan to suit Glow & Electric (even though i dont fly Electric no more lol where as my grandad does and hes keen on a Hawker Hurricane) lol

THANKS RCM&E on another Great Plane.......

Mick

SMCF

The list of Hurricanes is quite long. Ignoring the Keil Kraft, Guillows etc as to small.

I remember the Mick Reeves kit, Tru-Flite, seem to remember Graupner and Scorpio. I have a couple of free plans which I assume are RCM&E as electrics.

As a model, even as a free flight, nevers seemed to be that popular as a model to build.

Maybe it is the stringered fus, or styling, not as pretty as the Spitfire, or as many variants, many of which are quite distinctive.

Erfolg

Erfolg, I  really think  that some of the modeler's ( the say they are) must have a very busy life and are not "looking passed the bush's, to see the tree's". "Searching for info" is what keep's the you involved.  Perhaps the year's we spent on "looking" is not a requirement anymore, as long as you get hand fed, the nesassary item's for use, Who else care's, and as for the H.  ?????????     Barry

Boy, you guys. Talk about a dummy spit. if you don't want to build the plane then don't do it, just move on. Yes, I did vote for the Hurricane and yes, I do like something for free (just the cost of the mag) but I wouldn't be crying in my pretzels just because I didn't get my choice. You can't tell me that you have built every plan that has been given in every mag you have ever bought, and if that is the case, then look at this one in the same way and just put the plan in your filing cabinet and do something else, that's what I was going to do if it was something I didn't particular want. You never know you may decide to build it at some later date. So let's be adults and accept that this is the way it is, this time, and get over it .

Cheers

Geoff

, then look at this one in the same way and just put the plan in your filing cabinet and do something else,

This is not your average plan that ends up in a binder forgotten, it is for a well designed and constructed model that we know we can trust to be an excellent piece of draughting by one of the top model aircraft designers available today.

If I said to you what would you rather have, a plan by Nick Ziroli or a plan drawn up by someone who only has the vaguest of ideas on how to gain maximum strength at lightest weight printed on paper that will look like a sheet of brown trash in a few years time?.

It isnt just what we want as model makers either, I am sure Tony doesnt want to spend his days designing yet another 'one of those' when he can reach in the cupboard and pull out the plan he did a few years ago and rework it if he so chose, at least give him something to do that will give him some enjoyment out of this project.

Having spent well over 25 years building scale static ship models for collectors and museums mainly in the U.S I can assure you it is the most boring passtime building a second identical model of anything and aircraft in particular as you have far less scope for variation in the design, it has to look just like the original for which there will be a multitude of photographs with an aircraft unlike a 300 year old design for a warship that had a comparitively short life.

An excellent aircraft for its time that justly earned its place in history and we (the British) would have been in deepest trouble without it but the Hurricane still looks like a cow with wings,

regards,             Terry

Sid Camm new his stuff but he was still working with 1920's technology  that could not have been developed any further, the next notable plane designed was the Typhoon which had a slight problem of the tail section falling off.

The monocoque Spitfire design and all others like it, He100, Me 109 etc were a quantum leap in design from the tubular airframe/canvas covered Hurricane, as I have already said it was an excellent aircraft for 1935 when it was designed but apart from a bit more power and heavier armament it went no further, and it still looked like a cow with wings,

regards,         Terry

AH yes, the Tyhpoon, But in true British style they did put bandaids, in form of gussets around the rear end to stop it falling off,or was that the Tempest, the H look's like to me , not a co.........., a Bull sea lion, and then the "tailfeathers",could have been "tailflippers". just a thought. Barry