Gas engine OIL DLE

Luca

Advert

Many thanks to you both for your feed backs.

most of the people at the field use motorcycle fully synth racing oil and regardless to the brand everyone is happy.

it is early day for me but I would like to take the cylinder head off after a few liters and see how much carbon built up has formed. Some people in the US seem to be happy using fully synth oil at 40:1 to keep the engine clean! No warranty here though

nice !!

I like the idea of clean fuselage bellies! having said that I am not sure if I you go much higher ( less oil) than  40:1 with a 20cc engine. less fuel runs thru it compare to a 50cc, consequently less oil to lubricate I guess.

Edited By Luca on 16/12/2013 19:19:00

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATE

Unfortunately after 6 successful flights, last week the engine suddenly became very difficult to start, it looked like the carb and the engine became flooded before it had the time to fire up.

The only time it started and run for a few secs was with full throttle and no choke

I spent and hour and a half at the field flipping the prop with no success ( i dont have a starter ...yet)

Finally I decided to go home, I took the tank out, check lines and filter ( non foaming clunk) all ok

ignition works

took engine out and the carb apart , check the filter, injectors and seals , all ok as far as i can tell.

today I put it back together with an ngk new plug and tried again with same result!

it starts for a few sec on full throttle only and the dies with fuel pouring out of the carb air intake.

anyone had a similar experience? any Idea on what to do next?

Many thanks

Luca

Luca,

One of my DLE 55's last year started playing up. The engine cut whilst taxing out. Trying to start it again proved futile. It would fire, even backfire, but would only run momentarily then stop.

I too checked everything to no avail. In frustration I removed the ignition unit and noticed that one of the wires seemed to be shorting where it comes out of the case. This would seem to be the answer as the spark was available when flicking ( I never use a starter) but when running the vibration shorted the wire.

I replaced the ignition with a Rexcel unit which has rubber grommets protecting the wires as they leave the unit. Connected up and first flick it ran like clockwork. So don't be fooled by thinking that because you have a spark it can't be the ignition unit.

Hope this helps.

Steve

Thanks Steve,

I just checked the wires coming out of the ignition box, they have a rubber protection where they come out and they seem to be intact. I understand that this does not guarantee that the ignition is playing up anyway. Is there a way to check it or a I better off buying a one and try it?

Luca

Sorry Luca, I don't know if there is any way of checking the unit. I just bit the bullet and bought another one, they are freely available on ebay for about £38 I think, trouble is it might not be that in your case, although it sounds familiar.

If you do go down that route and it fixes it I would be interested to hear from you.

Steve

Posted by Luca on 05/01/2014 21:50:48:

the tank is at the same level of the carb. I thought that it is not critical in petrol engines as they are pumped.

Edited By Luca on 05/01/2014 21:51:14

it doesnt matter if they are low or further away but if its higher than the carb gravity still affects it, you did say that fuel was pouring out of the carb not exhaust as steve suggests above, is that what you meant ?

Posted by Codename-John on 05/01/2014 22:05:28:
Posted by Luca on 05/01/2014 21:50:48:

the tank is at the same level of the carb. I thought that it is not critical in petrol engines as they are pumped.

Edited By Luca on 05/01/2014 21:51:14

it doesnt matter if they are low or further away but if its higher than the carb gravity still affects it, you did say that fuel was pouring out of the carb not exhaust as steve suggests above, is that what you meant ?

actually fuel pours out the exhaust as well as the carb air intake.

battery is 6.6v life , yes it seems OK on multimeter