E-Glider new design called RedEagle

Ton van Munsteren

Good point Mike, I will just push them into the wood. Most of the pics explain a stage,ok. I agree that some times they leave me somewhat puzzled as to what is being shown, but atterbury looking at the parts plan I have got there upto now. I'm a bit worried that I will glue something to early and be unable to do something later on. So,taking it steady. I guess there's no harm in that though.

Perhaps you would explain the D box to me.

Regards, Glyn.

Slowly catchy monkey, yes that;s the way to go, a D box is when you have made the wing, you cover from the leading edge back to the main spar with 1/16 balsa, this applies to the bottom as well as the top, this makes the wing rigid and less likely to break with a bit of a hard landing, the cap strips on the formers should meet up to the 1/16 balsa on the main spar, the best way to apply the 1/16 is to wet it a bit so as it will bend to the shape from the L /E to the main spar, also you may find it easier to do the D box to each wing half before you join them together, also don't forget the wash out at the tips.

here's hoping this helps. Mike.

Ok Mike, got the idea. Show me a pic of your wings if possible. I'll check on washout but am assuming it's taken care of in the plan, yes?

Sun 4th Jan

Progress so far, not much today as it was freezing in workroom, and I went to watch the Tigers pm.

3.jpg

1.jpg

Hello, welcome,

Are you a novice like me, or is this your second build, making you a real expert in my eyes!

I'll let u know any pitfalls I find on this blog, keep tuned. A small criticism of the kit, none of the components are notated on the wooden parts, so it takes some sorting out if you a newbie builder, and therefore not to expert at reading the plan. As Mike says above, very steady is the way forward.

Have fun and keep us posted.

Kind regards, Glyn.

Hi Glyn

Well.... I have started builds for the last two years mass builds ( RAF Tucano, and DB Tinker biplane ) but they were both basically scratch builds from plans and both are sitting on my desk waiting to be finished

I have since been flying ARTF foamy gliders, mainly an AXN from HobbyKing so I am hoping that this proper kit will be the first build that I actually get finished!

Oh I know that scenario too well. My kit came inside 5 days, but I made myself finish off all my various projects before I could even open the box. It spurred me on to great things! Finished a new build, a wots wot, 2 ic to electric conversions ( kwik fly 3 and a spacewalker) and a repair to pc9 roulette, yep I crashed it.

Then I started the Eagle, see it can be done, though not seen the wife for 11 days!

Get to it.

Glyn.

Quick word of warning, if you buy the kit that comes with a full size plan, all the notations are in Dutch!

So you may need to buy a plan from RCM&E as well. I think the plan alone is £12, so why not buy a back copy of the magazine, it's cheaper and comes with a plan. Just a thought.

Glyn

These are the balsa strips that double the thickness, ate the surfaces at the top and bottom of the fusalage sides. I think their purpose is to give a wider depth of surface to give a larger area for glueing on the sheeting top and bottom of the fusalage body.

I have emailed Rob Bulk at the Dutch woodpack supply company, this is his reply:

" sorry to hear that, we have sold many Red Eagle packs, and you are the first to mention this. this item is NOT included in the pack. You have to cut cut from some spare balsa. It is not my design, I only sell what I am told. "

So there we have it. You probably will have to make it yourselves, as I could not find any 3mm x 4mm strip anywhere.

I had a wood pack , not for a model, so I did just that. Would be nice if it could be added though, I think.

Am I right in thinking that all parts ie vertical, horizontal tail sections wing panels and dihedrals etc. are covered before being mated together and fixed onto adjoining bits.

Anyway things going ok I think, I'm learning a lot, Going to remove all the glue from my fingers now!!!

Keep it up, Glyn.

Hi Glyn,

Yes sorry about the strips which I should have mentioned in the article, that they should be cut from the 3mm sheet.

Yes your correct covering the vertical and horizontal tail sections first before placing on the fuse.

But don't forget to remove a small piece of covering before you glue the parts on the fuse.

It would also be easier to alighn the sections on the fuse with the wing screwed in place as an reference.

The Wings inner and outer panel should go together before covering.

Cheers

Ton

Posted by Ton van Munsteren on 05/01/2015 21:35:02:

Wolstonflyer,

Looking forward to your build of the RedEagle.

Trebor,

Great to have you here are you planning on building the RedEagle.

Cheers

Ton

Edited By Ton van Munsteren on 05/01/2015 21:40:48

I would love to have a go, there is a few things to sort out first though it's been a long time since I built my last one. A powered glider would be more use to me later on in the year. What wind speeds is it suited to ?