E-Glider new design called RedEagle

Ton van Munsteren

Hi Glyn,

Sorry not clear what you mean but I think its the rib W05 at the point where the inner and outer wing panels come together. Both ribs from the inner and outer panel should have a capstrip on the bottom and top to make them stronger and easier for the covering to hold. The ribs there are less high and should have a support of 1,5mm under the rib that wil, hold the rib at the correct hight. The capstrip will follow lateron.

Rib W05 with 1.5mm balsa for support

Rib Wo5 with the capstrip on top and bottom

Hoping its more clear.

Great build by the way and love to see that everyone is helping to get there.

Cheers

Ton

The plan shows capstrips on just WO5 and WO6 presumably to have something for the covering to adhere to at the dihedral change. So capstrips seem essential here.

If only 1 wing panel has been built with the ribs too low itwould be a good idea to use the remaining unbuilt WO5 & 6 as a pattern to make a replacement rib for the built wing. Then carefully cut away the badly fitted rib and replace. Better than having trouble fixing covering.

So it's not just the end ribs that are low?

The printed RCME plan caption says the TE is 6mm while the drawing of the ribs shows a TE of about 5mm. So about 1mm discrepancy and if you used 1/4 inch TE then that's 1.5 mm discrepancy. Looks even more in your photo.

Were the ribs homemade or as supplied CNC cut?

If all the ribs are consistently low then a possible solution is as follows......

Take a full width sheet of 1/16 balsa and plane and sand the edge down to nothing over about 3/4 inch width then slice off this tapered 3/4 inch strip to glue on top of the ribs with the thick edge abutting the exiting TE. Then if necesssary plane original TE down to meet the new strip. This would increase the TE strength a lot at the expense of a little extra weight.

( it's so much easier to use a full width sheet when planing as it gives something to hold onto! Otherwise use a couple of 1/2 inch square bits of double sided tape to hold balsa down to bench whilst sanding. Anything more than a few small bits of tape will prevent removal)

Edited By kc on 19/01/2015 13:45:14

Photos have to be in JPEG format on your computer ( I think it may be essential to close the file so it's not already being used on your computer), then you go to Albums - Create an Album - select Browse and select the file from wherever it is on your computer - click Add - then wait a little while.

Hi Mike

Click 'Albums' at the top of the page (in the dark red band that has lots of little icons in it) that will take you to:

**LINK**

Then click the link to make a new photo album. Create a Photo Album

Give the album a name and a description if you want and leave the tick in the 'make public' box.

As soon as you click the 'Create Album' button it will take you to a screen where you can upload some images, you can upload 5 files at the same time if your internet connection is quick enough.

Edited:

Also see tutorials at: http://www.modelflying.co.uk/forums/postings.asp?th=66178

and  http://www.modelflying.co.uk/forums/postings.asp?th=66132

Edited By WolstonFlyer on 19/01/2015 16:20:21

Yes, i have the CNC pack from Holland. Almost all ribs have a depth, at the trailing edge of of 4 mm. This correct when compared to the plan. If it is then as the TE has thickness off 6mm I now must assume that 2mm must be removed from the top surface of the edge itself.

This may not be a problem, I have been told by a local modeller that it is most unusual in a purpose cut kit. I think that this is my best and easiest option.

This should leave the wing with a 4mm thick TE tapering to something less, about 2mm I think from memory.

I did not work on it yesterday, as it was nice I actually went flying, first time this year!

Many thanks to you all, sorry to be a pain with my silly questions. You are helping me get there. I have plenty to do, all of which you have covered, so Ill get on. Next unknown is how to cover it, especially the compound curves on the nose. Ill be back, no doubt...

Thanks once again, appreciated a lot.

Regards, Glyn

Yes, i have the CNC pack from Holland. Almost all ribs have a depth, at the trailing edge of of 4 mm. This correct when compared to the plan. If it is then as the TE has thickness off 6mm I now must assume that 2mm must be removed from the top surface of the edge itself.

This may not be a problem, I have been told by a local modeller that it is most unusual in a purpose cut kit. I think that this is my best and easiest option.

This should leave the wing with a 4mm thick TE tapering to something less, about 2mm I think from memory.

I did not work on it yesterday, as it was nice I actually went flying, first time this year!

Many thanks to you all, sorry to be a pain with my silly questions. You are helping me get there. I have plenty to do, all of which you have covered, so Ill get on. Next unknown is how to cover it, especially the compound curves on the nose. Ill be back, no doubt...

Thanks once again, appreciated a lot.

Regards, Glyn

Because the ribs are inset ( notched) into the TE by 3mm so the trailing edge needs to be almost 5 mm to fit the 4mm ribs. So trailing edge should have been 5mm stock.

Actually 3/16 inch seems the real TE thickness. It is possible to buy 3/16 by 3/4 inch TE if you want.

So I think we should  advise people to amend their plan to show 5mm ( 3/16 inch ) TE instead of 6mm whether building from CNC kit or scratch.

Edited By kc on 19/01/2015 17:22:24

Hi Paul,

Don't cover it until they are flush. That's the advice I have been getting. Apparently it would look pretty poor.

When I get to it, I'm gonna plane/shave my TE down to the ribs. Let you know if it's a winner.

It just seem odd, well to me, that the two items, rib and edge are not both 4mm, or both 6mm. But what do I know.

Fun learning though, eh.

Glyn.

I have looked carefully at the images supplied Ton. On careful inspection he too has difference in the two heights, rib and trailing edge, before any shaping is done. I reckon this proves that the excess thickness on the TE is removed during the planing operation.

Ton2.jpg

Ton1.jpg

It looks as though he used plain balsa not triangular for these tip panels. Therefore planing or sanding would be needed. I think you will find it difficult to plane the edge without the whole structure racking and loosening the glue joints. Fixing down with double sided tape might help.