Hanger 9 P47 Thunderbolt 60

Rich too

from what I recall I had to put in 5 percent down elevator in the mix with full flaps. With throttle management it should really make landings much more manageable. As always test it out WAY up in the air. the nice thing about cutting an already formed wing is that the ribs and sheeting is already done. The most you'll have to do is cut the wing back a few mm to acomodate the new false trailing edge then cut the flap at a 45 degree angle and get a LE on that then some fuzy hinges. cut and build a servo pocket and you're almost there.

Using a good 3 view will be extremely helpful.

p47thunderbolt.jpg

Edited By Shane Sunday on 06/04/2016 10:58:42

• 1 year later...

Wow, it's a year down the road and the P47 remains untouched. I plan to have a look at it when I return from holiday and make a decision as it is wasted sitting in the loft, and I could use some funds for another project.

I may have to reluctantly let it go as it is a great flying model and should be used...

Edited By Rich2 on 10/04/2017 20:10:32

Yes Jon, it has a great tendency to nose over, which isn't helped by the rough field. I thought I could try a few things, take the LG forward, lower the tail wheel, try flaps, and try landing better! The model is balanced pretty well, but I may be able to remove some lead.

do you have the wire legs fitted? I find they are pretty naff as they bend even on th best landings. while less forgiving, I find oleo legs much better at preventing noseovers but they will reward a bad landing by removing the retract from the wing

Not sure, the originals broke, and I fitted e-flite retracts. They are just wires I guess, but I remember buying spring loaded struts as well - eleos? I'm pretty sure I tried them, and was unable to retract the wheels with them. I'll check when I get home. 

Edited By Rich2 on 11/04/2017 02:13:08

• 11 months later...

Here we go again! Practically a year to the day and I am still undecided. Realistically the field I fly from is too rough for this model, but it is a cracking plane to fly - it is a real shame that it sits in the loft unflown for two years. I won’t advertise it but if anyone does fancy it I may let it go for the right money to fund my Pulse rebuild. Please pm.

Otherwise, I’ll probably update this thread same time next year! laugh

I've had this version of H9's P47 for a few years now and it's a fabulous model once you sort out a few things.
Firstly, dump the mechanical retracts and fit electric units with oleos. Decent Dubro low bounce wheels are also worthwhile and absorb a lot of shock. Modify the retract mounts to bring the wheels as far forward as you can, the wheel well might need enlarging to prevent the tyres from binding. CG can safely come back by half an inch from the recommended position, but reduce elevator throw to no more than half an inch each way - on no account use expo on the elevator.
The wing is very safe without flaps and providing the model is flown down to the round out, it won't do anything nasty.
I have an ASP 120FS in mine and at about nine and a bit pounds AUW, the performance is fine.

Without flying it myself its hard to comment on the balance but in general most models have the recommendation set quite conservatively to cover off customers making a hash of it.

Most of my warbirds are balanced 'tail heavy' as I find they fly very well like this as long as I don't fly like a halfwit and use huge elevator deflections.

I set up a H9 spitfire for a friend and went through exactly this. Took some weight out of the nose, took the rates down from 65% to about 20% and took out all of his 60% expo. It went from impossible to a pussycat.

Cuban is right about the wheels, fit the biggest you can and make sure they are cranked forward a bit. Oleos are also much better as they don't flop aft when load is applied. However, if you make a pigs ear of it they are not as forgiving and something will be broken.

Regarding landing speed, you say it lands fast but does it actually land fast or do you land it fast? what I mean is if you took it up and stalled it in level flight with a small amount of power on how slow will it go? If the answer is slower than you would normally land it but you have you haul on the elevator with all your might then I would suggest its quote nose heavy. If it flips on its back at the slightest provocation then fair enough, it needs to land fast!

My P47 is the bubble canopy H9 model. A Laser 80 powers it adequately and although more power might be nice I can’t be bothered to change it - it does sound good. Standard retracts have been OK with landing nose-overs usually preventable with more pilot care. Landings are surprisingly floaty.

• 4 weeks later...

I finally got the knife out and made a start on the u/c. My plan is to get the wheels level with the LE of the wing. Its not easy to relocate the u/c and as a result it is not pretty! I had to wedge it in two axis. If it works I will try and tidy it up. I also bought a 3 blade prop to give more ground clearance.

img_2863.jpg

img_2858.jpg

img_2861.jpg

img_2860.jpg

Edited By Rich too on 02/05/2018 18:46:34

Edited By Rich too on 02/05/2018 18:48:57

No danger of a nose over with that rake! what you could do assuming it is not glued yet is set them in the scale position and then shim them forward in small steps until you find the best position.

Leave out the plastic wheel wells. They are a total pain and i never fit them. Without them you can fit larger wheels and any slight tweak in the leg wont result in the wheel fouling the well. I just spray the inside of the wing silver and then spray fuel proofer in there. Job done!

The 3 blade prop might help with ground clearance but you might not get the best performance in the air. By all means try it but it may not work that well.

I have been having nose over issues with my small hurricane and have decided to rake the u/c forward with another 1/16 shim under the units. This kicked the wheel forward by a good 5 or 6 mm and should be enough when combined with my work to remove the play from my 'high quality' chinese oleos.

Thanks Jon. It is all glued! I tried washers previously and it wasn't enough, hence the drastic action. I am not too worried about the 3 blade as it has a DLE20 - I could do with it slowing down on landing! I take your point though and will see how it goes.

The wheel wells are pre-fitted but I am removing them.

Edited By Rich too on 03/05/2018 10:21:38