Playboy Senior

Anyone out there flying an 80 inch span Playboy?

Bought an airframe at a local auction and am not sure of power required

the airframe is really light weight and I am a bit concerned at the suggested '45 'recommended in the plans guide. I presume this is a four stroke but even so I am not looking for any height records

I thought the aircraft would do nicely during the balmy evenings of the glorious summer we are going to have!

It will probably have to be hand launched due to the state of our flying spot

any suggestions welcomed

Thanks in advance

Ron Brooks

Advert

For cruising round quietly I would have thought that a cooking .35 would be enough, something like an O.S. 35FP.

Having said that I would go for more power and throttle. Why? Because there is nothing so awe inspiring as watching a pylon model scream upwards for ten seconds and level out to glide for ages. It makes all the people who have never seen a contest model climb stand gaping in amazement.

The throttle means that you can trim her out and climb to a safe height before hitting full power. Once trimmed you go from the ground, straight up in that vertical spiral.

I did it a few years ago with a Contest Kits Calypso Major. They still talk about that in the club!

By the way, the Calypso was 60 odd inches span and climed vertically with a R/C .15

Thanks Peter

I shall now go and ferret through my engine collection and sort out something appropriate.

As it happens I bought a n.i.b Super Tigre 34 at the same auction where I got the airframe.but I think I might lean towards a 4 stroke. Theres a an O.S 40, an Enya 41 and a Saito 45 all waiting for their first "outing". When the gear is installed I shall see which best suits balance with minimum added weight.

Thanks again

Point taken re  noise

we are fortunate in our field being well away from habitation and the aircraft do not seem to worry the deer that graze in the next field.

What price Devon, glorious Devon !

Sad about all the lawn mowers and chain saws that blight sunday afternoons !

Round here we have loads of people complaining about the airliners stacking and going in to Stanstead. They don't even register over the open country background noise.

No one complains about the helicopters that churn round day and night at low level.

I say they should remember what it was like when we had the javelins, Lightnings and later, the Phantoms at Wattisham.

And talking of noise perception, I have an interesting and amusing take on that in MIller's Tales in AMI this month.

Ron. I forgot about four strokes, a very suitable power palnt for the Playboy.