Quiet EDF ?

GrumpyGnome

Morning all

A few years ago, I got a E-Do Draken EDF. Flew nicely but very very noisy - so much so that I don't really have anywhere to fly it, and it's consigned to the loft. I also have a Graupner (?) TogerShark that's never flown as it's just as noisy when I run it up.

I need to scratch this 'EDF desire itch' !

Anyone recommend a quiet (in EDF terms) EDF ? Looking at 64mm or smaller - maybe even UMX Habu............... I suspect my desire for quiet, and economical to get in the air, will end up being at odds ! Still, worth asking the question I think.

GG

Advert

I would love to fly EDF but have to comply with severe sound level restrictions at our club site. This means no IC or EDF so we are restricted to gliders and quiet electric. I am happy to comply and keep flying but.......

Sound levels are never mentioned in kit reviews. Is this something worth considering? Or perhaps worthy of an investigation and article on how EDF models might be made quieter especially at peak revs?

If you want quiet EDF models I would thoroughly recommend trying the new 70mm Wemotec MiniFan Evo fitted with a HET 2W-20 running on a 4s battery. It has a 9 blade fan and is extremely quiet, even at full throttle, unlike the usual 4 or 5 blade units! Mine is quieter than any ic engine or pusher prop I've heard to date. In fact it's infinitely less offensive than the screaming Eflite micro Habu or Mig 15 who's sound seems to travel all over the flying field.

If you want a relatively cheap 90mm fan try the Taft Hobby EDF on 6s or 8s, all that's heard is a subdued whoosh which is very inoffensive to the ear. If money is no object then Stumax fans are the way forward and these sound like a turbine in some instances.

There are plenty of videos on YouTube featuring the fans I've mentioned and they're well worth a look/listen.

Sound is of course quite subjective, but my Art-Tech Alpha Jet ticks ALL the boxes, it's cheap, fast, fun to fly and in the air sounds more breathy real world civil jet than EDF screamer. It's a LOT quieter up there than on the ground, and its not loud compared to others in the club there either. EVERYONE who has seen mine fly has said "Blimey that's fast AND quiet

This video gives a good impression of the pitch and lack of annoying field losing "scream". It really does sound like a real plane in the air!

**LINK**

I had an art tech alpha jet and loved it.

Yes it was quiet, but boy could it fly too. I added a working rudder which helped with slow rolls.

Stupidly, one day I was harrassed at the field and fitted the Lipo slightly forward from the correct position and flewit like that with a forward cg.

All went ok until trying topull out from a loop...

I would have replaced it straight away but I think it was discontinued a few years ago...

The key to quiet edf operation is to balance the fan! The difference this males is staggering, both in noise and efficiency.
I haven't got a link to hand, but if you Google edf dynamic balance, there's a host of information out there.
Trust me on this one...it works and goes a long way to attaining the "magic whoosh" so becoming of a jet!

Good spot! Am tempted but have got two other 64mm EDFs now.

A starmax phantom f-4 and an AMX but can't remember who makes it.

Both were less than 1/3 the price of the alpha so obviously are built down to a price.

The alpha seemed very sorted and efficient both with its fan unit and ducting because it is nippy and quiet and posted good flight times.

I agree about the Vampire, but it's essential to balance the fan on all the cheaper EDF units as they're usually well out and it makes such a difference to the sound when they run true. I had the Durafly Vampire (HobbyKing) and eventually ran it with a Change Sun 10 blade fan unit, Eflite BL 15 motor and a 3s battery. The soundtrack was extremely quiet and almost prototypical, as was the speed.

I've heard good reports about the Durafly Sea Vixen too, but with that wide, chunky fuselage it might be difficult to hand launch you don't like using undercarriage.