Tamiya Acrylic Paints

Barrie Dav 2

I don't know if this is the right topic section but as it's about a plastic static model......................

My daughter bought me a 1/48 scale Tamiya Grand Slam Lancaster kit for Christmas. I'm not usually a plastic kit modeller but I've bought some Tamiya acrylic paint to decorate the finished model. The paints are not of the spray variety but in 10ml pots. I understood the paint to be water soluble but there is a distinct spirit smell when the pots are open. Can I mix these paints with water?

I shall be spraying most of the parts and I'll need to clean the airbrush after use so what would be the best thing to use for this - water seems obvious but life isn't always that simple.

I also need to go over all the painted parts with a flat clear finish varnish after finishing. Any suggestions on the stuff to use?

Advert

I've always used the Tamiya acrylic thinners but I don't see why water can't be used, try it.

For the varnish use Pledge Multi Surface Wax , it used to be sold as Johnsons Klear, (I get mine from Sainsburys), one bottle will last forever.

It sounds wrong but it is a fantastic product for us modellers.

spray or paint over the paint finish, then add decals and spray or paint over the decals again, it is also a fantastic base for adding various weathering processes. I also use it to give canopies a cystal clear look.

For those of us with foam models it makes a fantastic sealing coat to protect decals and stops the foam getting grubby, it can painted on with a brush or sprayed and dries leaving a tough durable clear satin finish that weighs next to nothing and is very cheap..

Regards

John

Have probably used all the model paints available over the years (remember those 50's little flexible "bulbs" where you cut the neck and squeezed it out!)

In Tamiya's case that means pots and aerosols, gloss, satin and matt. I'm 65 and started building kits at about seven.

Have just been using Humbrol on a Sikorsky Dragonfly 450 Heli.

It concerns me more than a litle that decals do NOT work over matt, and really have to be sealed (which is where the matt/semi-matt finish comes from), yet manufacturers insist on selling warbird paints as full matt.

For the Sikorsky, the two colours needed were only available one in satin and one in matt, for goodness sake!!!

Firstly, with all paints in pots or jars, take ENORMOUS care not to introduce dust or grit while working with it. I mix the paint in the pot/jar with a home made dremel powered stirring paddle, a piece of copper tubing that is folded 90 degrees and flattened at the tip and slightly twisted to form a single "prop blade" that pushes the paint down so it won't spill.

Make sure the brushes are quality items, clean, dust free, and do not lose hairs, the £1 shop or model shop is NOT your friend on this, go to a quality art shop!! DON't store them handle down in a jar to collect dirt from the air!!

I have used Tamiya thinners occasionally, but in most cases if the pot is mixed properly before use the mix strength is right for brushing, and minimal if any thinning is required for spraying. Water works OK, but if you are getting edge marking, you are definitely over-thinning.

Finally, before painting use a car type anti-static fully evaporating pre-paint disposable cleaning cloth over the bare plastic as static will attract dust and fluff and so ruin a finish, as will using a rag!

Good Luck and Enjoy!

Well, there's a wealth of advice there and I thank you all for your interest. I'll try the various methods mentioned before applying paint to the model.

I could not access the Britmodeller site Andrew. I used Google too but the Britmodeller site would not come up so maybe they have a problem at the moment.

• 2 weeks later...

The problem i have had with Tamiya acrylics is that as soon as you start thinning them the shade lightens very noticeably. I don't really see this with enamels though. Anyone else had this problem?

Also I find that unless you clean the neck of the jar, the next time you use it dried paint invariably drops into the jar as you take the top off. I then have to filter the paint. Teaches me to clean up better though!

Very difficult to find paint filters/ strainers for model use. I have loads of the paper automotive ones but I find they don't really suit. Anyone got a cracking idea for a filter/strainer?

Well Dave, I've not yet reached the stage where I need to thin the paint for spraying. However, for the small pieces, crew, interior detail etc I've used a very little water and in some cases undiluted paint.

Initially I washed all the kit parts with water and some detergent and dried them off. A couple of days later I sprayed the parts with Tamiya grey primer and then the next day I hand paint the small details of the interior of the cockpit. I'm not too impressed with this Tamiya kit. Some of the parts do not fit well and the instructions are a bit hit-and-miss. Still, with a bit of modelling putty things will turn out ok. It's going to be a slow job........