John's Dawn Flyer Slimline Build

Devcon1

Advert

Been away for a few days but back on it now,

Wing fixings complete.

p1040935.jpg

Front dowel PVA'd into place, I'll tidy this up and shorten it so it doesn't protrude through past the former.

p1040936.jpg

Combination of a simple jig and measures to transfer bolt position into wing.

p1040937.jpg

Thread tapped directly into hardwood bearer, I've subsequently washed in some diluted PVA to seal off the threads.

p1040938.jpg

Bolts will be trimmed flush later as the space is required to run control rods to back end, hoipe to have these installed this weekend.

p1040939.jpg

Underneath the Depron is hard balsa so no need for washers, I'll make some access tubes let into the fairing to allow removal of the bolts.

Regards

John

Edited By John Milne on 21/02/2014 18:53:14

Radio tray made out of Depron

p1040940.jpg

When the servos are glued in and the tray glued to fuz sides it will be very stiff, If I ever need to change a servio I'll simply make a new tray.

p1040941.jpg

Top view

p1040942.jpg

Trial fit

p1040943.jpg

I'll fit simple short Z bends made from piano wire glued to and then shrouded with heat shrink to carbon fibre pushrods supported in small sections of snake outers.

p1040944.jpg

I've positioned them this way to keep the cockpit clear.

Regards

John

Leading edge wing fairings done.

Now I shouldn't need these but I've made a further error in not allowing for the the additional depth of the Depron wing skins, I should have reduced the ribs in size slightly to keep the original profile, on a positive note I've just inadvertently decreased the wing loading.

p1040945.jpg

Oversize block glued to LE,

p1040946.jpg

Lazy method for transferring the profile onto the block

p1040947.jpg

Finished job. I'm got a Depron laminated, with PVA, leading edge ready to butt up to these root blocks.

p1040948.jpg

They will all get a final fine sanding before covering.

Regards

John

Whilst waiting for the leading edge laminated strips to dry I thought about arming the Dawn Flyer.

It will have twin guns based on these.

Guns

Picture 3 is what I'm trying to copy.

p1040949.jpg

I made a Depron rod with 1/16 X1/16 balsa strips tacked around it with Depron end plates.

p1040950.jpg

A coat of acyrlic primer and they look a bit rough, I'll either try in a different material or rub them down to get rid of the feather edges.

Regards

John

One wing tip complete and laminated leading edge almost ready for shaping.

I've used PVA on the balsa to Depron joint and a thin sliver of Epoxy on the main Depron to Depron joint.

p1040952.jpg

Hopefully the balsa will act as a guide so I don't oversand the LE.

p1040953.jpg

Another error on my part, I started to make the Aileron but made it fit within the 5 rib bays after forgetting to take off the end off the last rib and also I've run out of 3mm Depron so have decided to to go for inset Ailerons, upside is I've always thought this setup gives a more aerodynamically efficient wing tip.

Regards

John

Cockpit sheeting

p1040959.jpg

First strip fixed with Epoxy.

p1040960.jpg

The rest built up with PVA. like others I tried larger sheets but struggled a bit so opted for the planking method.

p1040961.jpg

I'll do it in two stages but it will be in one peice, I'll then cover the wings and simply glue it in place afterwards.

Regards

John

Back on the Dawn flyer after a little distraction.

Started laying up the rear cockpit surround, I know it should be done in sheet but I get too stressed trying to get it to fit well so have opted to cheat..

So planking it is again. I actually find it very therapeutic doing every little plank bit by bit, I know it takes longer and will be heavier.

p1050010.jpg

Regards

John

Cockpit surround finished and almost ready for final sanding.

p1050012.jpg

I've used some thicker strip for the last two outside sections to give a little spare material for the final shaping.

p1050013.jpg

Fiddling around with the guns with bits from the scrap box.

Regards

John

A first fitting of the cockpit for size.

p1050020.jpg

A bit nervous about cutting the hole,,

p1050025.jpg

p1050021.jpg

But with careful cutting and some shaped sanding sticks,

p1050022.jpg

Open cockpit space to have a play with.

p1050023.jpg

Pilot from here ...maybe a little big but rather that than too small.

I'm going to use the cutout to make the seat back

p1050024.jpg

Regards

John

Thanks for your comments guys,

VA, I'm aiming at sub 2 Pounds but understand this won't be an all weather model, but maybe Greenacres are due a favour from the the weather gods. I may have to get another Pilot and move his goggles to flying position.

thunderstreak, thanks for your comments, make sure you log your Westland build as the feedback, comments and looking at what other people are doing has been a great inspiration to me.

Kind Regards

John

Well, I'd kind of expected I'd have this problem but, naively, tried to ignore it.

I'd fully expected to make two holes in the cockpit surround to accommodate the wing bolts but this would make a god almighty mess of it so opted to fix the wing from below.

An alternative bearer and another hole in the wing resulted in this.

p1050028.jpg

The bearer was let into the Depron skin and sits on the TE.

p1050029.jpg

I'll cover it in with a little shaped sheet.

p1050030.jpg

A small bit of 1/32 ply to spread the load a tad.

p1050031.jpg

The setup minus the wing for clarity.

Regards

John

I've come to a dilemma, wings and tail feathers are ready for covering...

Plan A: I have some very nice cream/buff Oracover which has a good antique colour, trouble is it has a shiny gloss finish and is not very opaque and I'm not sure it will look too good. I could try and roughen the surface up with a plumbing abrasive pad to weather it a bit.

Plan B: Get some Solartex as others have done, but I fear it may be a little aggressive whilst shrinking onto my Depron wings and be a little on the heavy side.

Plan C: Try using some lightweight silk (which I have in stock) and find a non solvent way of applying it.

Plan D The same as C but use tissue.

Plan E Any other ideas much appreciated.

Kind Regards

John