John's Dawn Flyer Slimline Build

Devcon1

Hi All,

Building now under way, my objective is to use as much material as I can from stock, now seeing as I had some sheets of Depron I've decided to try and build light, perfect for those flat calm evenings we're going to get.

I plan to try and incorporate a full depth open cockpit. by fiddling around with the wing structure by moving the lower rear spar forward a bit.

Wing ribs will be Depron and the wings then skinned with the same.

Motor is a Overlander T2836 1120 Kv

Servos New Power 11gm Metal gear

p1040798.jpg

Basic kit of parts

p1040803.jpg

I've opted for an alloy torque tube elevator joiner

p1040804.jpg

A bit of deviation, I've set the undercarriage bearer lengthways to suit some bearers I had in stock.

p1040806.jpg

Closer look at the formers in Depron and F2 with some material removed.

p1040808.jpg

Experimenting with a Depron rib.

p1040809.jpg

Motor mount

p1040811.jpg

Stab frame minus a bit of balsa.

p1040810.jpg

Now because I had no 6mm sheet I laminated the sides from 3mm and 1mm, this has allowed me to raise outer skin up the wing bottom so I'll let the wing seat into the small rebate that's been formed.

I know this won't be a standard plan build but I'm following Lindsay's notes with the article "but making it your own is half the fun of a model like this" couldn't agree more, it's such a versatile design..

Thanks for looking

John

Advert

My little motor does look a little lost in there but I'm sure it will be adequate.

p1040817.jpg

p1040818.jpg

I'll put a fillet between the bearers and fuselage sides, the undercarriage legs will sit in a groove with the lower sheeting being fitted to make them sit flush with the sheeting..

Regards

John

Top longerons set out and keel plate fitted.

p1040820.jpg

There does seem to be a slight difference between the actual width versus plan width, I seem to recall somebody mentioning this previously but no issues.

p1040821.jpg

I plan to use some balsa dowel for the lower longeron.

p1040822.jpg

Regards

John

Rear end done and turtle decking drying overnight.

Because I used thinner fuz sides I overlapped the decking by chamfering the sides a little. I suspect this is where I lost a little width against the plan, had I had my thinking head on I would have resized the formers.. dooohhh...

Thought about doing the turtle deck in Depron but chickened out but I have found some nylon to give the tub a "vintage" look hopefully.

p1040825.jpg

There is a fillet in there to give a decent joint.

p1040826.jpg

Look forward to a bit of triming tomorrow because I won't be going flying..

p1040827.jpg

Same for the rear.

Regards

John

I love this. A great thing about the mass build is the way it provides a powerful demonstration of the fact that the plan can be just a "starting point"! Great adaptions here John.

With a bit of luck we'll end up with loads of great DF's - no two exactly the same - but all built from the same plan!

BEB

Well the undercarriage may well be a "one hit wonder" but I've tried to think of the loads/wheel size/weight and flying style so I'll give it a go in keeping with my weight reduction ethic.

p1040842.jpg

I had to bend the wire around the blocks.

p1040846.jpg

p1040851.jpg

Before sheeting.

p1040847.jpg

p1040850.jpg

some sample sheeting pinned in place, I may go thicker.

Regards

John

Kevin, Stevo, Tony, BEB thanks for your comments any thoughts and comments appreciated.

Forgot to add these pics of the wheels.

p1040854.jpg

These are the standard Flair (83mm I think) but I shall put them on the scales and see what I can loose from the hubs.

p1040855.jpg

I've started on the tyres, I've flipped them inside out and have started thinning them out with a sharp scalpel.

This may take some time so I might keep a lookout for some lightweight oprions.

Regards

John

Hi Stevo,

Tthanks for your offer I may take you up on it but you have given me an idea, I'm going to try and mount the two parts of the wheel in a drill and and see if I can scrape some of the material of the inside, I then want to try and turn them into spoked wheels with a little dremel work.

Hi Vecchio,

You're right so I'll go easy and see what the result is, If they go a bit wobbly I could fill the inside with some light foam.

I've set myself a target of a 50% weight reduction for the set.

Regards

John

BEB, Just measured up and it's 9 inches unweighted but should sit at about 10 inches when finished.

Tried these on but I'm afraid I can't use them as they are spoken for already by next project.

p1040856.jpg

Some 6 inch Kavan Superlights.

p1040857.jpg

Reminds me of my fFuncub

p1040858.jpg

The legs will flatten out a little to get rid of the excessive castor or camber, not sure which.

p1040859.jpg

Just weighed both paird the Flair ones, 3 1/4 inches 116 gms a pair, the Kavan 6 inch inflatables 180 gms a pair.

Regards

John

David,

Negative camber, thanks for that, I'll straighten it out later. Have you found some other light spoked wheels ?

Re building the back end

I built the Tub then glued the lower keel plate and top longerons into place on the tub. When it was dry I inverted it and pinned it to the plan I then built the top frame and lower keel strip to match the tub, the width did vary slightly from the plan but I think that's because I used thinner fuselage sides.

John

Like the wheels, must try to make some. I've seen a mountain bike version as well.

Back to tonights progress.

U/C all soldered up and straightened to give the right geometry, I think, it end up at 9 //2 inches on the wheel centreline.

Photos of tonights progress...

p1040860.jpg

simple jig to align the legs before binding and soldering.

p1040861.jpg

Bottom sheeting added, I'll add some air to these later.

p1040863.jpg

I enlarged the opening in this former to allow the following.

p1040864.jpg

I've folowed BEB's idea for this one.

p1040865.jpg

I then cut a final front former smaller than the one in the previous picture but drew the outline of it on this one, you can just see it under the mesh.

p1040867.jpg

The grille was pinned down..

p1040868.jpg

A driibble of epoxy was carefully cocktailed sticked into the gap between the two.

p1040869.jpg

The excess was trimmed off.

p1040870.jpg

To end up with this

p1040871.jpg

and this,

I'll then simply stain this part and fix with some small screws from the front so I can take it off when I need to replace a broken motor shaft.

Regards

John