18x6 Electric Prop

Rory Gillies

Hi All,

I'm looking for an 18x6 electric prop in nylon or carbon for my 1/4 scale J-3 Cub on floats. On wheels she flies with a 17x8 wooden prop but wood is not the best choice for flying off water, and I'd like to go a step up in size and a step down in pitch for flying with the floats.

The problem is I'm pretty much googled out searching for an 18x6E in the UK. There's plenty choice for glow or gas, and Esprit Models in the US has a good choice for electrics but otherwise I'm stumped! I did find an 18x6E from one UK supplier but it was wood - there's always the option of coating it in resin but I'd prefer a plastic/nylon/composite job for water flying.

Any ideas where I might be able to source one in the UK or Europe?

My 1/4 scale J-3 Cub recently converted to floats

My 1/4 scale J-3 Cub recently converted to floats

Cheers,

Rory

Edited By Rory Gillies on 13/02/2014 13:04:50

Edited By Rory Gillies on 13/02/2014 13:06:00

Thanks Roy, both the 17x10 and the 18x8 pull to many watts at max throttle for my 2100W motor - 2297W and 2290W respectively. My current 17x8 APC-E pulls just under 2000W and an 18x6 would give me just over 1900W. Even the 17x8 pulls over 2200W on a fresh set of batteries so I can't go WOT on takeoff (although the motor would likely survive a very short burst if needed to get out of trouble).

The larger prop with the smaller pitch would be better for float flying, but I may just stick with the 17x8 for now and order one up from the US.

Cheers,

Rory

Edited By Rory Gillies on 13/02/2014 15:03:26

Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 13/02/2014 15:03:34:

Why not use an IC prop? At this size the motor will hardly notice the extra weight? I regularly use Xoar IC props on larger electric models and haven't noticed any detrimental effects.

BEB

I did think of that, and there's some really nice IC props out there that would look great on the Cub. Maybe worth exploring....

Cheers,

Rory

Hi

I agree that an IC prop can be used to great effect with an electric motor. Currently have a 10x8 WWII Zoar on a Parkzone P-47D, works well. Only down side is I now have to do a near perfect landing each time!

Just don't go the other way! Electric props won't take the vibrational strain from a IC motor!

James

Thanks for all the suggestions folks. In the end I've decided to stick with the wooden prop as it looks far better on the Cub. I've added aluminium tape to the tips which will provide additional protection from water, and the JXF prop is very well sealed with two coats of primer and two coats of lacquer.

Cub Prop

The Cub sporting her JXF prop with aluminium tip protection

I'll hopefully be able to do some taxi tests this weekend so I'll let you know how I get on.

Cheers,

Rory

• 2 months later...

Rory I think you've gone the right way there those JXF props are very well sealed and don't forget you get more thrust per Watt from good beechwood props over an APC nylon/plastic E prop so to go that route you would need to pull more watts to get the same power. proved this point with my BS63 a 13x6 beech at 430w pulls her of the ground in feet at 5.5lbs where as a 13x7 APCe at 450w has her tracking 30 plus feet before anything like looking like a rotation occurs