22" Avro 504 FF model. (with Wilbur the pilot!)

Willowlea

Thanks to the lovely Colin and Steve I now have in my possession two lovely Avro 504's- thank you sooo much guys smiley

One is completed pretty much, lovely build Steve, so just needs a few bits doing and covering and the other is a kit and am really excited at getting stuck into building a model with my first set of ailerons....... so here goes!

Now sadly, the poor spider that Colin sent with the box did not survive the trip, it was a tad dead. I was thinking of using it as a pilot smile p but after breaking the sad news to Colin he informed me that said spider was called Wilbur who he had trained to say hello to me. So in honour of poor Wilbur, who gallantly speed his way across the counties to me I am renaming the Avro Wilbur in his name hehe.

Interesting fact here, the box shows a picture of the full size Avro at Shuttleworth and flying it is none other than my good friend Andy smiley So that was a nice suprise.

1.jpg

Plans all laid out and ready ooooooooooo

2.jpg

Advert

First thing was to do- the wings.
This kit comes with an incredibly detailed plan and 8 pages of instructions so nothing is left out smiley

3.jpg

After cutting out the 1,600 ribs teeth 2 the first job was to get them all exactly the same sanded down. This was done by placing a spare spar into the back of the ribs and sanding them all together as one block. A few had an accident, as you can see on the pic- so I just cut a ton more smile o

The ribs are a mixture of 1/16" and 1/32"

5.jpg

soooo second job was to line up the rear spar. Now this is a new one on me, cos the ribs are put on upside down hehe. But after lining it and pinning the piece of 1/16th for the spar, the instructions call for another 1/16" by 1/8" to be glued on top of the rear spar behind where the ailerons will be

6.jpg

7.jpg

Do ya see my nice new jazzy blocks huh wink? They work briliantly, cut using my swanky new mitre block (thank you mr cantwell smiley ) so are nice and straight and ideal for lining up to keep things nice and straight angled.

8.jpg

Now this is the first time I have done ailerons, so was really excited at doing them. The model can be flown without ailerons especially if wanting to save wieght however adding them means they can be adjusted for flight trimming and I thought it would be fun to have a go. First job was to take a piece of 3/16" x1/16"x1/8" for the aileron leading edge and to adding two pieces for the inside edge on either side.

9.jpg

Whilst these were drying I cut the trailing edge from the prestamped wood and sanded the notches in place for the ribs. These were added to the plan along with the front spar

10.jpg

Aileron leading edge sanded down to be a bit more aerodynamic and added to the plans too

11.jpg

And the outer aileron piece added along with gussets

12.jpg

Ribs then added. Now there is an option to add extra ribs for scaled rib spacing......do i do this or not? hmmmmm have left it for now thinking the less weight the better. The leading edge needs to be packed up first with spare bits of 1/32" presumebly so the ribs are all snuggly fit in place?

13.jpg

all ribs attached and the gussets added looks a bit wonky on the pic, and it is a tad but nothing that cant be rectified with a spray of water and pinning down over night.

14.jpg

using spare bit of 1/16" these inserts were added not sure why lol

15.jpg

Dear Willowlea,

While I was sorry to hear about poor Wilbur, I have to hold out a small gleam of hope. Were you aware that spiders do change their skins. Like crabs and lobsters they need to break out of their old skins in order to grow new bigger skins.

Could it be that the dead Wilbur that you found is not indeed Wilbur, but only his (how do you tell the gender of a spider) discarded skin. Wilbur may even now be scurrying around your workshop, bigger and hungrier, devouring power plants for models. ( See **LINK** )

Bye - and in hope,

Plummet

Ah, you're raising my hopes Plummet, but that would mean he was ignoring me and I couldn't bear that. No, In my heart I know that he has gone to the great cobweb in the sky. To be fair, he was getting on a bit. He spent four years with dad in Stalag IVA near Laubusch and came home in his trouser pocket. He was by birth a German spider and really his name was Vilbur, but it's too late to tell Sarah that now.

From what I remember, I cut out the wings, tail and fuselage from the plan. I then cut some 9mm plasterboard to be just a bit bigger than the sections I cut out, and then glued the individual plans to them. That way I could revolve around building each section, without bending over the while plan.

As you found out, the "coke can " hinges work really well!!

I think I also use 1/6" spruce for the spars too.

Edited By Stevo on 18/02/2014 17:23:00

Hahaha well I might just do that Steve.........after I have cut the other 20billion for the lower wings teeth 2 Don't have any spruce at the moment but am defo going to give that plasterboard idea a go, thank you.

Have also been discussing the possibility of converting one to rudder/elevator/engine control which is a bit daunting but looking foward to having a go!

Am afraid I have to dash your dreams guys of the possibility of Wilbur,and his alterego Vilbur, still living- minus a skin crying It is with a sadness in my heart and a deep regret that I have to inform you that shortly after removing his sorry little body from the box and leaving him on the table whilst I went to look for my spider resus pack, I came back to find poor WiburVilbur was sadly missing.....................and 3 guilty looking ruffians licking their lips! The jury is out on which it was but I reckon the cat did it, in the lounge, with the candlestick! teeth 2

2014-02-14 22.30.19.jpg

Anyhooooooooo finally got some time to do some more to the build yesterday. Started on the fus....cos I can teeth 2

I built these one side on top of the other in the hopes of keeping them identical, new way of doing this for me but using a layer of baking paper between the two sides so they didn't stick together. After cutting out the front part the longerons were all 1/16th balsa wood, with a scarf joint on the top one. The vertical spacers are also all 1/16th bar the front foremost two that are 1/16"x1/8" were all glued into place and gussets added near the tail plane seat.

And I will remember to put the other longerons on the RIGHT sides hehehe

16.jpg

Will get cracking on some more of this  after tomorrows fly in at the Veledrome

And yeah I know one of the spacers is wonky but i forgot to reglue it before taking the picture teeth 2

Edited By Willowlea on 21/02/2014 23:56:55

Edited By Willowlea on 21/02/2014 23:59:39

Edited By Willowlea on 22/02/2014 00:03:54

Indeed Plummet. Perhaps his true lot in life would have been that of a rigger? I guess if he was stuck for resources he could look on the Web. Unless, of course he was spinning us a yarn.

Obviously we would not have wanted to upset him as he would have gone up the wall.

In terms of a possible replacement could I recommend Boris (Who....? ).. he has a job at the moment as a web designer and could turn his talent in this direction.

Steve

You chaps are so perceptive, it had never ocurred to me before that W(V)ilbur's true place was in the wire bracing of a Gloster Gauntlet. That explains why, when parked in his web in the corner of my shed he never showed much interest in catching flies, he just spent most of his time knitting gossamer scarves, two pearl and one plain.

I think that Boris was a distant cousin. W(V)ilbur said that there was a connection on his mother's side with a network of bolshevik arachnids in St. Petersburg, so it could be more than a co-incidence. To think that he lead such a long and interesting life to finish up being mistaken for a pork scratching is a bit sad really, but never mind. When your number's up, it's up. He reckoned that having lost one leg in the Dunkirk rear-guard action leaving him with seven was the reason he had been so lucky, but nothing lasts for ever.

LOL teeth 2 you lot don't half make me laugh hehe, nice one chaps.

Will start back in earnest on this now that the Velodrome and flying the other models is over so should have more progress reports soon. Needs to be ready for the NATS FF in May. Complete with spiders as pilots in tribute teeth 2

• 4 weeks later...