Seagull E-Pioneer trainer motor

Steve T

I struck up my E-Pioneer trainer for a test run after build. 50 amp esc, 3s battery, E-flyte 480 1250kv motor as sold by my local model shop, "ideal for that set up" they said.

After 20 seconds at almost full power I smelt it and shut down immediately, and actually burnt my finger on the motor. It no longer functions!

So 3s batt and 50 amp esc are undamaged, recommend a motor please ?

Advert

Steve - I would be having words with the shop I think!

According to the specs the E-Pioneer weighs 4-4.8lbs so you will need around 400W.

Now I cannot find any reference to an E-flyte 480 1250Kv but there is an E-Flite 480 1020Kv and if this is the motor you have been supplied with then this is only rated at 275W and 22A - hence your problems.

4-Max recommend this for an E-Pioneer so go for this or one with similar specs

My Pioneer weights 5lbs and it needs a 4S lipo; I use 3300mAh 4S lipos which give about 11 minutes flying.

I now use a EMax BL2820-07 (£18 from BRC) which is powerful enough to make fast recoveries when stalling near the ground or to pull away after bouncing badly on landing - very useful to have lots of power. It also allows you to fly nice large loops.

With a 12x6" APC prop it gives 700W (46A) when the lipo is fully charged reducing to 500W when it is nearly exhausted. The thrust with a fully charged battery is about 5lbs.