plane blue prints

rhys banks

hey guys im new here i have been picking up the rcm&e mag now for some time and now im ready to buy a sim and also buy a little trainer but i really do enjoy tooting around them plans the mag comes with how do they work how would you build a plane from that etc just allways been picking away at me im a builder and i still dont understand them any help would be good thank you.

Hi Rhys and welcome to the forum.

One of the things we do here is to have a thing called a "mass build".

The idea is that we pick one plan, or this year we picked five, and as people build the models, they take photos and post about the build here.

The point is, that some experienced builders join in, and those with less experience can follow along.

Why don't you have a look at the threads here ***LINK*** , see if there's a model you fancy and read some of the build blogs for that model.

Edited By Chris Bott - Moderator on 03/03/2014 21:25:02

Hi Rhys and welcome, Be careful its addictive and there is no cure!

My advice for what its worth is to start with something simple first, perhaps a flat plate wing and a square section fuselage. The build articles that come with the plans are a good help and the build blogs are great.

Wish you well with whatever you try

Cliff

Hi Masher,

None at all I'm afraid. Know Mini Jazz will be way beyond me for quite some time. Have more benign craft in the hanger UnoWat, 3ch Black Magic plus ST330 waiting to be dusted off. Will shortly make contact with local club. Hoping to arrange membership and instruction. Then see what happens. Really trying to give life a structure as recently forced to retire for medical reasons and at short (no) notice. This is very much a long term view I'm taking.

Andy.

Rhys.

1 Welcome

2 Stick with it: loads on info on here and over at RCGroups.

3 my ten penneth worth

Plans are usually a side view, of the fuselage, a top view of the fuselage and a top view of the wing, a bit like an authographic projection. the little black triangles denote the edge of a single sheet.

Many of the RCME plans are not suitible for beginners. even many of the flat sheet wing, flat sided models like the whizza are not really beginners models (although fine as a first build), Strongly advise you to get a simple "built up" kit to learn the building skills something cheap like a west wings orion glider, if you fancy a glider that is,. (its a nice simple slope / thermal soarer, 2 channel so you can put cheapo radio gear in it too) - decent instructions leave nothing to chance too.

RCME did some articles "building from plans" a while back, you really need to read these !

Feb 2010 p77-81

Mar 2010 (sorry i dont have the page numbers, as i didnt get this issue)

April 2010 page 99-103

You will also need to learn about the variety of links / clevis's, covering techniques and so on.

PM me if you are having trouble finding the info you need.

Whatever you build, you are likely to crash and smash, especially if self taught without a buddy box and someone to teach you..so you might want to consider a foam / EPP model until you have the flying skills.

Another method is to learn at a local club see http://clubmap.bmfa.org/

You also need insurance ! (usually via BMFA membership).