New E-Flite Carbon Z Cub Assembly Log & Chat

Advert

Because the original battery tray sits low in the deep fuselage it can be fiddly for sausage fingers like me to secure the battery resulting in the edges of the foam getting a bit of "rash".

p1040968.jpg

A solution is provided by a very helpful guy in America called Gary who produces this.

p1040973.jpg

p1040971.jpg

This simply replaces the standard plastic tray and has a cartridge system that allows quick and easy changes as well as a great way of playing with the COG and using different weight battery packs, just slot your cartridge into the required number position.

It's known as the "Large Wooden Contraption" or LWC

I got mine here

Here is the stock item

p1040975.jpg

The cartridge has 6 L shaped feet that slot into the base and is secured by the lever at the front. Very neat.

p1040974.jpg

When fitted it looks like this.

p1040977.jpg

p1040978.jpg

The last picture is shown minus the velcro straps.

p1040972.jpg

Cartridge on it's own waiting for velcro straps that go in the slots at the bottom.

Regards

John

Thanks for your feedback guys,

The kit can be put together in 3 hours or so but I'm taking a bit longer to tweek a few things. To finish off the glazing I'm going to mask and spray a black frame around the edges.

Just put the lump of a motor in.

A few thoughts so far, make sure you have both metric and imperial Allen keys as both are used.

A nice little touch is that Horizon seem to have put a spare collet or screw in most packs.

p1040985.jpg

Regards

John

Hi Giuseppe,

Fantastic project, tell us more about it.

I also love the Cub Crafter conversion and the "Got Rocks" special.

The Carbon Cub has been lusted after for a while but I'm also drawing up a plan for a 60" electric Bobber type version like yours.

Is yours scratch built or a kit conversion?

Regards

John

savage bobber the real plane.jpgmy bobber (68).jpgmy bobber (52).jpgmy bobber (42).jpgmy bobber (23).jpgOh Thanks John

Mine is my own design(you can see the fuselage outline still on the building board in the picture) and is based on a cub 25 is 52" span 2 piece wing build from a Aeronca c3 wings that I hade laser cut ages ago and the tails are also the Aeronca c3 the wings have 4 servos that's why I was asking about your as a never flown with flaps or crow!

Is now finished and awaiting a break in the whether to test fly it, power is a 280 watts motor 3 cell lipo 2200 if all ok I will do a proper one with carbon tubes glued with aero epoxy or better still you can get steel tubing from RS with a 0.6mm wall there are very light and strong if I can learn how to weld in the style of Paolo Severin Models

Can you imagine an all chrome plated fuselage and uc I thing that it will be great and if you doing you 60 size I would love to follow you build.

You see my other passion is building Custom Bikes I just like simplicity with a wow factor

Here some picture of my boober

Regards Giuseppemy bobber (13).jpg

Giuseppe.

I love it, it's very similar to what I'm planning but will have the fuselage sides finishing at the trailing edge area with the open structure behind that.

I have also been looking at alternative materials for the rear end and have been playing with alloy tube joiners bonded to carbon fibre rods. I'm still looking at about 60 inches but if I can keep the weight down maybe make it around the 52" size like yours so 3S 2200 packs can be used.

Definitely go with flaps, I have them on my Multiplex Funcub as simple one position flaps that drop to about 60 degrees. I don't mix them with ailerons or use crow but maybe will try one day. Couldn't imagine flying it without them

The Carbon Cub will have three positions on a switch but not mixed with ailerons. Can't wait to try them on the CZC.

Regards

John

Look and Feel

I'm planning on using the wheels from the CZC for the new project.

John mine weight 1.3kg ready to fly

the steel tubes from RS come in 6mm 8mm and 10mm with 0.6 mm thick to weld them I tried silver solder to some success but I thing practice makes perfect but I thing is the way to go because they come in 2 meter length for £8 is much cheaper than carbon If is good enough for Paolo Severin scale model is good enough for me.

with flaps when you say 60 degree down how much is that in mm approx. and do they really slow down you model cub?

And for big fat wheels I was thinking of using hard foam ball you get in toy shop cut it down and laser cut the rims the fatter the are the better

Regards Giuseppe

Giuseppe,

I'll post some details on the flaps tonight when I'm home.

With the Fun Cub it will allow real "Got Rocks" take offs, near vertical landing approaches without power and a very brave flair at the end, it will also fly very slowly. I'm hoping the CZC will emulate this and more.

I've also got Floats for the CZC.

The wheels sound a great little project, I'll post the wheel pics later as I've upgraded them but plan to use the original wheels on this next project but with some weight removed.

Regards

John

Hi Giuseppe,

Picture of the Fun Cub Flaps, they have a drop of 50mm but that's achieved because the hinge point is about 10mm below the lower surface of the wing,

I would advise getting as much as you from a mechanical perspective and then experimenting when the model has been flown.

p1040986.jpg

Kind Regards

John

Just removing, checking and refitting all linkages for good movement and found the the servo arm screws are a bit odd.

The smaller flap servos have a 1/16" Allen headed arm retaining screw..

The larger aileron servos have a 1.5mm Allen headed arm retaining screw.

Not a problem if you have both but be aware.

Good news is both linkages on both wings were super smooth and slop free.

Regards

John

p1040989.jpg

The shorter one is the metric one..

I've applied the Vortex generators.

Just simple plastic mouldings set into rebates in the wing top surface secured with very strong double sided tape. I wouldn't like to get them out if I put them back to front.

p1040992.jpg

The raised edge doesn't really exist it just my bad photography..

Regards

John

My Bobber 101Hi John thanks for the flap info I dint realise is as much as that I got mine about 15mm but I will try on max I think I can get about 30mm I wonder if the set up on the carbon cub is as much as that love to hear when you got it in the air

The vortex generators is new to me is the first time I have see it this close up I know that there are also on in Savage Bobber but I dint know the shape of it are evenly spaces and how far from the leading edge are they, I thinking to replicate them my self they looks easy enough and I wonder if they do make a difference!

I also took a picture of my bobber last evening you can see the simplicity of it and the control lay out of the elevator and rudder, are you going to mix aileron rudder and elevator flaps on you Carbon cub Regards GiuseppeMy Bobber104

Hi Giuseppe,

No problem, I guess it might be confusing mixing our two build threads, I'd love to see your thread and progress through to flight, if you put your pics in the same category as this one it'll be easy to find.

Here's some pics of the wheel situation.

p1040987.jpg

Standard wheels are solid foam, light for the size and perfectly useable.

p1040988.jpg

As an upgrade I've fitted some grooved Kavan treaded ultralights that I can inflate.

The standard wheels are 170 gms each and the Kavans 100 gms each, the weight issue is irrelevant on a model of this size and weight but I liked the look of them, they may take a little bounce out of landings and I've earmarked the originals for some mods on my Bobber project.

Regards

John

Put the undercarriage together to see how she sits.

Plan tonight is to set up the radio and start to understand AS3X.

Having spent some time with the models and it's component parts so far I can't fail to appreciate the design intelligence and production engineering that's gone into it.

p1040994.jpg

Given the weather forecast for the weekend I don't think she'll take to the air for a few more days yet.

Regards

John

Just about to fit the Cowl but here's a pic of the wiring, it looks quite a lot but it loops around the motor quite neatly, I've subsequently added a dab of Silicone between the wires and foam sides to make sure it can't rub on the outrunner casing.

p1040996.jpg

Regards

John