New E-Flite Carbon Z Cub Assembly Log & Chat

Hi John..

Funny you say that... Just come back from the cartridge site after downloading loads of pics, so i can make my own...

I 've just been reading about fitting scale landing gear... The Robart 1/5 scale setup with DuBro 6"ers is popular, but i've yet to find a UK supplier...

Did you get your Kavans here in the UK..?

I got bored waiting for paint to dry last week and fitted 'Mini' Bobber's to my UMX Carbon Cub.. wink

Radio Active iirc... Way heavier than the original small foamies, but she looks ace.. And as she's taken a keyfob camera up, can take it.. LOL

I collected my Dx9 last weekend, but i'm still waiting on the Cub... crying

Luv Chrisie.. xx

Advert

Hi Chrisie,

From memory the DuBros are heavy. I got my Kavans from Sussex Model Centre.

I've got a cheap larger rear tailwheel which I'll put on using a spring system as I don't like tailwheels directly connected to the rudder as I think it can put too much load on the servo and hinge.

I think this is as far as I'll go with upgrades although I do like the idea of putting proper articulated cub landing gear on but the cost puts me off.

Regards

John

Interesting. Thanks John.. I found some Dubro's last nite and just phoned to order them, but the shop is closed Wednesdays... Fortunately as it turns out.. wink

I'll check SMC asap...

Re: Undercarriage.. I just lost my head and bought the Robart 1/5 setup.. Dont ask how much..!!

As I dont even have the plane yet, or even a definate date, its a bit daft, but I have got a half made 2m W/S Depron Cub in the wings, so to speak, so it wont go to waste....

Luv Chrisie.. xx

Posted by Cyclicscooby on 07/05/2014 14:44:08:

Hi John..

I presume from your pics, that the original tyres are 6" / 150mm, hence the 150mm Kavans.. ?

I prefer the balloon tyres over treaded, but they only go upto 125mm / 4".. I dont want to make it less able than standard by downsizing...

Luv Chrisie.. xx

Have you checked out the Du-Bro 600RV 6" Diameter Big Wheel - these may work for you

Hi Jolliffee... Yeah, thats the Dubro's i was talking about above, which i very nearly ordered, but John pointed out they were heavy, compared to the Kavans, which come in lighter than the original all foam wheels n tyres according to the above.. !!

Mind you, the Kavans are £30 EACH, nearly twice the price of the Dubro's.. !!!

Cheers for the heads-up tho wink

Luv Chrisie.. xx

• 2 weeks later...

WOW... Got one..

About twice the size of my next biggest plane.. I knew the dimensions,but in the flesh.. !

It was the wheels that were the biggest 'OMG' moment.. They're MASSIVE. laugh

Had work the next day, so was just gonna unbox it, but first thing in the instructions was to put those big big wheels on.. Best to get the foam off the bench, so did that, then the tail,etc. Ended up finishing the fuse build, but had to stop before fitting the vortex gens, on the wings. So they're the next step, tomorrow.

FYI.. Altho im gonna leave the standard gear for now, I offered up the Robart 'leg' over the completed setup, and it looks good.. same size, etc... Thats the 1/5 scale setup.. They do 1/5, 1/4, & 1/3 so make sure its 1/5 for this Cub.

Still grinning, and i haven't even flown it yet..

Luv Chrisie.. xx

Cheers John..

I've read the Rx manual... !! It'll be nice when the setup can be done via the Tx screen, and not by stirring sticks and watching LEDs flash.. !?

I just started building the batt cradle on Sunday nite, and have set it upon my Tx, but STILL haven't actually bound it..!!

I presume the factory AS3X settings are adequate.? or does it REQUIRE setting up ( Other than checking the reflex directions, etc )

I've got a UMX C-Cub with the 'unfiddle-able' AS3X ( as far as im aware? ), so know what to expect...

I also got some ultra-cote iirc, for painting onto foam to toughen it up (One of the Deluxe Materials ones) so will also report back on the use of that, cuz the foam is REALLY soft and I can see it looking rough quickly..

Might even glass the L.E and the Horz-stab L.E too, going off previous foamie experience ( All my own builds )..

But, i'm getting ahead of myself... (sat in my truck on an ind-est, dreaming of my model room and the Cub..)

Luv Chrisie.. xx

Edited By Cyclicscooby on 20/05/2014 19:00:11

Chrisie, David

The standard values of 80% gain are fine, some tweak them up or down a bit based on personal preference but I just leave them as they are. You can turn AS3X off but I've not worked out how.

I'd be interested in the results of the Deluxe protection. I gave mine, as all my foam stuff, a couple of coats of Pledge floor wax to keep the dirt off.

Some pics of the battery cartridge you're making would be good as I might make one myself as a spare.

I've found for landings it likes to be flown onto the ground as opposed to dropped as she does like bouncing if you get it wrong but she's great at doing tail up landings especially with full flap short ones just like the full size STOL comps.

I've got floats for it and have found somewhere to fly on water down here so will try and post some pics and vid. I tried the location out with my float equipped Fun Cub which was terrific until I the last head on landing which dipped a float resulting in me swimming out to retrieve....

Just ordered it's baby brother which I think comes with the new AS3X rx which you can programme remotely. But I can only blame myself for this one.

John

Edited By John Milne on 21/05/2014 11:20:00

Just checked your link John...

Dare I say, if I knew that existed three weeks ago, I would probably have that on my bench instead.!!!

Not that i dont love my big one, but its twice the size of my other models, twice the lipo cell count, and by far the most exspensive plane purchased...

This statement, of course, has been written by the very small 'practical' part of my brain.. The other 99.9% wants the big one, that barely fits in my model room.! wink

Maybe if I can swapmeet the PZ Stinson I dont like, that PZ Cub can fill its space..

Luv Chrisie.. xx

I've started taking pics of the batt cart.. I've got the base and batt box done, but still need to cut the slots... That required maths, which my brain ranout of, after fustratingly cutting three sides of the batt box perfectly, then cutting the slots on the last corner, the wrong way, ruining 2 sides of the box... Grrr

Here's my aerial mod, same as yours...

aerial tubes 1 long.jpg

And from the rear..

aerial tubes 4.jpg

Also replaced the tail wheel with a slightly larger one.. Had to replace the standard 'big screw" collet, for one with a grub screw..

bigger tail wheel 1.jpg

bigger tail wheel 2.jpg

And, just for fun, the UMX sitting on the CZ... Which as you can see, fills my model room..

Note the strip of wood, hanging over the bench, to hold the one wheel, complete with a squadron of dead Yuasa's as ballast...

carbonz and umx 2.jpg

Luv Chrisie.. xx

Love it smiley , I've just got to get the UMX version now and maybe get the CZC to carry it around in the fuz like a Kangaroo...... Also had a call from the model shop to say the Sport cub has arrived, as I'm moving house next week it will be easier to sneak it in under cover of lots of boxes.

Like the workshop. Shame about the battery box error but I've done worse...

John

It seems to be the mount itself Chrisie, one side has a central hole but the other side has a lower hole. It made me wonder if some sort of clamp plate would have been included but I can see anything, I guess I could just work on some sort of plate for one side.

I'm hoping then that John has sat down and worked through the 800 pages of chat on the RCG thread and might know wink 2

Posted by John Milne on 21/05/2014 11:07:13:

Just ordered it's baby brother which I think comes with the new AS3X rx which you can programme remotely. But I can only blame myself for this one.

John

Thanks for the link, I had no idea this was in the pipeline, for me this is a must have ... tomorrow with any luck.

Mrs Avtur is away for the weekend so I won't even have to sneak it in !!

I've not thought about the tow release at all so can't help but I will have a look later tonight. I will have a go at towing sometime when I've convinced some fellow clubbers to try it. Let us know how you get on with fitting it and making it work.

David, I ordered my CZC back in October so between then and delivery in about March I did have a bit of spare time to gather some very useful hints and tips amongst those 800 or so pages, as well as relieving myself of a bit more cash, but I don't recall any references to the two release.

John

Hi Guys..

Heres the first part of my Battery cartridge build..

What we have to work with, after the original tray is removed..

bc01 original.jpg

The original tray and my base template

bc02 template.jpg

I used what I had at hand for the standoffs. 10x5mm as it happens. I was concerned that the sheer forces involved in a crash might sheer the balsa, so will also add the keyed-in ply plates too.

bc03 standoffs.jpg

At this point, i'd forgotten to check the pics of the 'real' cartridge, and realised my top plate was too short..

Dave, do you know where your batt sits, in reference to the 6 screws.?

I dropped my 3350 pack in, which is quite light, and it balances with the front of the batt about 1cm behind the middle pair of screws.! If i'd used the original tray, my batt would be half hanging off the back..

After realising this, I measured the rear clearance, behind the tray, into the plane.

Using my base, which is 13mm high, I measured 110mm back from the rearmost screw before the 'ramping' foam contacted.. .

So I rebuilt the to deck 110mm longer. The beauty is, it wont need more stands, cuz it meets the foam at the back edge..

So heres the base, complete with ply stands, keyed in over plain balsa.

bc05  baseplate.jpg

Luv Chrisie.. xx