New E-Flite Carbon Z Cub Assembly Log & Chat

Advert

It is actually a buddy of mine (Gaz) flying it. Gaz is well known in the area as one of the best wink

It is one HUGE foamy and we got it to do Airtow with the Parkzone ka8 which we did. Something different for the flying field than the normal.

I think he runs 6S 5000 in it.

Something I think could be improved is the receiver aerial installation,

Tthe receiver is already fixed in place bu the the aerials are just left loose and unsupported, the short out of the side was not too bad but the long one, about 6 inches, is left to flap about in the cavity in the fuselage.

A simple fix though, I have supported them both in old snakes, one pushed through the side of the fuz and the other position longitudinally secured by a dab of silicone at the receiver end and pushed through the foam at the top of the battery compartment.

p1040999.jpg

Not a great picture. i'll try another one tomorrow.

Regards

John

Hi,

The spinner was an extra, it's an E-Flite 2 1/2 inch polished alloy one, ironically when I spun it up it wasn't running true whichever way I tried, I've put the stock one and it's perfect so I'll return it for a replacement.

I'll do some pics tomorrow outside to show size against my Mpx Fun Cub.

There is lot of space inside so no limit on pack size with the LWC system

Regards

John.

Well, funny you should ask Bandit.

Forecast for tomorrow is good so in the car it will go.

Just giving the charger a workout on some packs. I'll leave some other little tweeks on it until next week.

First flight, or crash, report tomorrow night.

Regards

John

First flight today, first impression…

I am very happy so far, only two flights as very blustery.

Not a good start as when all powered up I had nothing, a bit of checking found that after I rebound, reset the AS3X and changed the flap setup yesterday, guess what, I’d left the bind plug in, doohhh.

Take off was a non event, very smooth despite the conditions, I needed about 5 clicks of down trim, the model felt locked in and only reacted to the conditions at low speed near the ground. It seemed a bit sluggish on elevator. Ailerons and rudder were good.

Plenty of power and the setup makes a lovely sound whilst pulling vertically. With the breeze today it was off its wheels in about 15 feet.

Second flight I moved the battery back by one position on the battery tray and elevator much better so I’ll keep moving back until it gets twitchy and then move forward one.

Overall impression, I like it very much and am very happy. Not fully explored the flight envelope, played with flaps or tweaked the AS3X. but what I did try I liked, knife edge was solid, loops good and slow passes very enjoyable, after 6 minutes flights I had 3.7V in each cell on my 3 packs.

Can’t wait for next time.

Regards

John

Thanks guys,

Well today, Jolliffee, was quite different, I was all alone at the field but the conditions were glorious, clear skies and about 5 MPH.

Chance to explore and tweak.

Cog moved back another notch on the battery tray, I''ll reassemble at home and post the exact measurement/position later but this is still very much down to personal preference.

Flap settings as follows on a DX8. These work for me but they do make the model climb under power. All other servo settings as exactly as per the manual

Flap Elev

Norm 100% 0%

Mid 5% 20%

Land -30% 30%

Speed 1.0s Sw. F Mode

I had to make some minor clevis adjustments to ailerons and flaps to trim out a little left aileron. this allowed me have all trims at neutral.

She's a pussycat to handle but will also do the usual aerobatic stuff with aplomb. Stalls are funny, she flops around the sky like she's walking down the stairs.

Landings beware ,she does like to grease in and is not in the mood for bouncy arrivals. So either a flap assisted three pointer or rolling landings keeping the tail high until you want to lose speed and watch her sit down.

Yes she does prop hang but that's not what she's all about.

Can't wait to see here on her new floats.

Regards

John

Edited By John Milne on 13/03/2014 14:43:17

Hi

Yes, the STOL performance is there if you want, with mid flaps and less than half throttle she's off the ground in a couple of wingspans almost but will also do lovely lazy long scale take offs.

Landing with full flap deflection is a steep dive, no throttle and then neutral elevator with a flare and three pointer at the end.

Good fun, although to be honest I'd too scared to give it the same treatment as my FunCub close to the ground.

Regards

John

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Chrisie,

Apologies, not been on for a while so only just saw your last post,

Still very happy with the Cub and love flying it. My advice would be to get or make a battery cartridge system like the one I mentioned earlier, it makes battery changes a pleasure and stops mashing up the foam around the opening.

In fact this would be my only critical point as the foam is a bit soft.

Ironically the Kavan wheels I put on are slightly smaller, but lighter, than the OE ones but I think are more forgiving on some surfaces and want to use the OE ones on, after lightening, on my Fun Cub for a laugh.

I've since put some chequerboard graphics on the rudder and it looks great.

I'd be interested to hear how you get on with yours. (Floats are now and ready for it's first water flight)

John