New E-Flite Carbon Z Cub Assembly Log & Chat

The slots are 10mm long with a 5mm gap, by 1.5mm

Roughly drilled out with a 1mm drill, enuf to get a flat file in..

bc06 slots 1 dremeled.jpg

bc07 slots 2 rough.jpg

Thee are 15 slots, with no.4 being about CoG.. The batt box has plenty of room for fine tuning, plus it can move 3slots forward n backwards..bc08  slots complete.jpg

bc09 lug strip.jpg

Theres a 'Lug' rail for each side, with 6 lugs in all..

bc10 into slots.jpg

The Lugs are 10mm long with a 50mm gap between them

bc11 both rails.jpg

With the batt box over the outside.. There will be a box floor and corner strengthening also.bc12 batt box over rails.jpgbc12 batt box over rails.jpg

With 3350 6s..

bc13 batt test fit.jpg

More soon..

Luv Chrisie.. xx

Excellent job Chrisie, you've given me confidence to make a spare cartridge for myself. I went to the field once without it and used rubber bands to hold my packs in.

David, all my stuff is packed up apart from basic kit, couldn't find the instructions or tow release mechanism so not much help I'm afraid.

Let us know how you get and particular how you and Chrisie get on with the first few flights.

Regards

John

Just a tad of thread drift ....

As a direct result of reading this thread (thank you Mr Milne!) I am now the proud owner of little brother to the Cub featured in this thread.

sport cub.jpg

I'll start another thread about progress with the "Sport Cub"

Edited By avtur on 25/05/2014 01:51:20

Thats cool Avtur.. As mentioned above, i'd probably have got one of those instead, if I knew it existed..

I've got a PZ Stinson hanging around, which I dont get on with.. If I can get rid of that, the sweet Sport Cub would fill its space perfic.. wink

I'll watch your build with interest..

Luv Chrisie.. xx

Oh dear, please don't mention my name in your defence avtur wink, I'm going to be in enough trouble as it is with the new Cub when I'm found out, now if the Sport Cub was in the same blue as my CZC I think I might have got away with it...

Let me know when you've got a thread going.

John

Batt Cart -Part 2...

I've strengthened the box by adding a hardwood liner, thats keyed like the box (i dont know the proper name for the joints I make.. Lap joint maybe.? )

Also cut slots for the Velcro straps...

bc14 strap slots.jpg

Added a floor and glued the lugs in, which protrude thru holes in said floor, securing the lugs even more..

bc15 lugs n floor installed.jpg

On reflection, I could have built the box smaller for the 3350 6s I'm using, but have made it big enuf for any future battery..

The base has been lightened..

bc16 base lightened 1.jpg

After some trial fitting, I found the overhanging top deck was bending just enuf to make the lugs 'difficult'.. And that was before i lightened it.. To stop that, i added two strips to the rear..

bc17 base lightened 2.jpg

So, now its lightened, can you spot the deliberate mistake..?!

bc18 base complete.jpg

Like, where are the lock-tab slots gonna go, now i've cut big holes out the middle.. Doh..

So... I came up with this.. It requires a smaller location hole, which I have room for, and it's sprung shut, which is one up on the original..

bc19 latch 1.jpg

bc20 latch2.jpg

The small spring n shock are off a Losi Micro DT which I upgraded with adj alloy jobs..

I've yet to cut the location holes for it and need to make the internal box dividers, but a test fit looks good..

bc21 test fit 1.jpg

bc22 test fit 2.jpg

Popped into Hobbycraft yesterday and got some thin foam to line the box..

Coloured stuff was 80p a sheet, the black self adhesive £1.20, both about 1.5-2mm thick..

Foam padding.jpg

I did it tonite.. smile d

By the time I was ready, it was last light..

My garden is nice n mowed, but there's the house down one long side, huge trees the other..

One short side has a brick cattle shed with a 6ft wall and a farm type barrel on stilts..! The last side has gaps above the hedge, but pushing your luck if any wind.. Because of the foliage, there isnt alot of sky, so only left to right, not forward or behind... That just sets the not perfect scene..

There is a field next door, but i've yet to ask the farmer if I can mow it ( its for cows, so is long tufty grass )

and bober tyres, or not, its far too long..

Long storyshort, I took off with a massive crosswind and no flaps.. Rolled out, but had to gun it half way to clear the tree's...

One circuit to trim ( 2 clicks right ail ) then headed back into the wind for a low pass / test landing over the garden..

I deployed stg1 flaps, and it did pretty much stop in the sky, but it didn't come down..! It floated over at about 100ft..

I realized landing in the garden could end in tears, so elected to ditch her in the long grass in the field..

( This involves a, well rehersed, climb over a 5 bar gate between garden n field, but theres a properly nasty 240v electric fence to hop over, by jumping from the gate..!! Before you ask, yes, just once, whilst flying the UMX Cub on the Dx6. I let out an involentary scream, but there was absolutely no effect on the Tx or plane.!! )

I got over to the field, tried a couple of flap passes, then did a perfect 3 pointer ( a first ) into the grass, at walking speed, where she nosed over, damage free... Phew..!

Tried a successful takeoff in the field, but at stg1 flap and over half throttle, so she didn't go dont a rut..

Fine again.. A pussy cat, but had to repeat the landing in long grass...

Very very happy...

Certainly had a huge presence in the air, compared to my other planes...

Other than hearing flap positions, i missed all telemetry and timer call outs cuz i was thinking about landing, but did have a flight of 4:40...

There is a video too, but my www is 3g and pants, so it'll take a while to upload...

Batt box is done to.. Final chapter soon..

Luv Chrisie.. xx

So.. Adrenelin levels are back to normal now, back to the battery cartridge..

With both width and length to spare, I need to pad the sides out. I cut 6mm depron to size and glued in, before covering in the black self adhesive foam mentioned previously..

Foam padding batt box 1

The rear divider...

Rear divider.jpg

By using either slot and turning the divider round, wood side, or depron coated side, allows fine adjustment, inside the limits of the main slots, which moves the whole box in 15mm increments..

Even with this cartridge system, its not easy lifting the battery and box directly up, to disengage the lugs, once unlocked..

So, I used the unused middle strap slots to attach two separate velcro straps, mounted opposite sides out, so they can be stuck together, above the battery, to create a handle...

Velcro handle.jpg

Now, once the box is slid back to unlatch the lugs, you can lift the batt box straight up, then out...

The cartridge works perfectly, altho it has taken 4 days to build, mostly filing slots ..

The sprung catch looks nice, but there is a metal rod protruding from the front of the box, so care must be taken, not to snag / stab the foam

Also the lugs are quite delicate with the weight of the battery, so I may add another layer of ply to double the thickness from 1.5mm to 3mm

I hope that help anyone wanting to have a go.. I'm no woodworking god, so if I can...

Luv Chrisie.. xx

A few pre-maiden pics... Just incase.!

czc pre-maiden 1.jpg

Note the freshly mown lawn ( Thanks Babes ) but also the many tree's...

czc pre-maiden 2.jpg

czc pre-maiden 3.jpg

A very happy, if quite blinded by the sun ( I work permanent nights. The sun melts me ) CZC owner, soon to be flyer..

czc pre-maiden 4 me and cub.jpg

Throttling up, moments before 1st take off..

czc pre-maiden 5 about to throttle up.jpg

So, until the next flight, and many more pics...

Luv Chrisie.. xx

Now that field certainly does focus the mind, the model does have presence and it took me a few flights to tune into it's flying style.

Nice video, you beat me to it so I'll have to try and one of mine onto here.

Well done on the first flight...

John

My very nice farmer let me mow the field next door today, so I now have a strip big enuf for the CZC..

Had to wait for the cows to do one, but managed a second flight just before it got too dark..

Tried vertical on full chat, which makes a nice noise heart (Cant remove the misplaced smiley)

Knife edge, and inverted, which were non-events.. It doesn't appear to have any vices..!

Landing at stg1 (take off) flaps bought her in at a fast jog, with a 25ft roll out..

Not as intimidating the second time round, now i've explored her envelope a bit and know she can pull herself out of trouble..

Cant wait for daylight tomorrow...

Luv Chrisie.. xx

• 4 weeks later...

Finally got my Carbon Z yesterday evening so shot straight home with it and put it together. A very good build quality, everything going together well apart from the motor onto the bulk head. I found the screws very, very difficult to dive home, in fact I had to give them quite a bit of persuasion!!

All done in around the suggested three hour mark, and the first flight was earlier this evening, and what a first flight! I have never had one where no trim is needed!

The only thing of note was a slight 'flutter' of the tail plane and elevators at full chat. Back off the throttle to three quarters and no problems!

After that first flight I can understand why E-Flite put it under their 'Trainer' section!

Regards

Mikeyessmile d

Hi Michael,

Same here, no trim, as you say. Glad it went well.

I wonder if the flutter is just the AS3X (assuming you have the AR635 version?) gains over-compensating. It's not a problem I've had with the Cub but it is obvious at full chat with some other AR635 equipped models such as the Yak 54X and Splendor.

John - good to see you and your Cub at the fly-in thumbs up

Hi David, I have flown the Carbon Z a good few times now and noted the pitch oscillation on each flight when above 3/4 throttle.

Further reading of the rx (9AR635) user guide suggests that I may be in the wrong flight mode. In preparation to change flight modes I decided to restore the AS3X gains back to 'factory configuration'

Upon following the instructions in the user guide to archive this, I find that that my red, green, and blue LED's continue to flash constantly, and at no time become solid as suggested.

Have you experienced this?

King regards

Mike

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Hi guys, been away from the forum for a while, found this thread because I am thinking, going to get this great looking plane. Should I start a new thread ? For the 2015 flying season ?. Wanted to know which version is recommended etc. I am sure more will be getting into this large foamy as the weather improves for us fair weather fliers ! ATB Jez😁