Camera mounting

Hi all
I am planning to mount a Mobius mini hd camera in a Precedent T240. I have made a ply platform inside the cabin area looking down at 45degs. I am planning to locate the camera on a subframe and secure it with neodinium magnets. Do i need to isolate the camera from the airframe on a foam block or similar.

Recommendations please..

Thanks
Martyn

Edited By Martyn K on 12/03/2014 18:42:59

Advert

Hi Martyn,

How is the 420 powered? Reason I ask is on a few electric models I've simply used Velcro, but when I used that on a IC Wot 4 and at certain revs the pictures were terrible.

Some of the multi copter boys have done a little research and Moongel seems to give the best vibration resistance, I've got a pack but have yet to try it.

r.

Edited By Robin Kearney on 12/03/2014 21:11:56

Edited By Robin Kearney on 12/03/2014 21:12:06

Hi Martyn

I have found that rigid mounting gives more consistent results than mounting on A/V mountings. The reason being resonance where at certain RPM the camera will be shaken quite violently, whereas if mounted firmly on a rubber pad (To prevent scuffing of the camera) the vibration effects are greatly reduced. The reduction is directly linked to motor/ propeller balance so some attention to detail there will provide better quality imagery. **LINK**

The camera used is a bullet cam hard mounted on the wingtip of a wankel engined Banshee target drone. The seaskim hit and Rapier firing have in flight video.

Best regards

Adrian

Thanks for the advice.

What I have done is:

mount1.jpg

A lite ply base glued to a foam pad. (The foam pad is about 6mm thick - its from a camping/sleeping mat).

2 x 10mm wide tinplate strips epoxied to the plate. The neodymium magnets will be glued to the camera mounting cradle. The hole in the centre locates the camera mount

mount2.jpg

Here it is mounted

mount3.jpg

And here it is in the model pointing down at 45deg. The mat has been glued to the plate fixed in the fus.

I agree, I think vibration will be a problem, but we will see. Nothing tried, nothing gained..

I'll post my results - no matter how bad nerd

BW

Martyn

• 1 month later...

Results

I have had 2 flights with the T240 with the on board Mobius camera. This is the 2nd one. Conditions - very dull - rain in the air and very strong cross wind. Basically perfect trainer weather. (Not)

Some high pitched vibration obvious in the air which causes the 'swimming' effect - so it needs some more work.

The engine died after 1 minute - so you get a good comparison of engine on/off as well

Interesting landing as well.

The quality isn't brilliant either. The original HD is much better..

(I must be mad posting videos like this)blush

Best wishes

Martyn

Edited By Martyn K on 14/04/2014 16:54:44

Ha ha

It was blowing a hoolie and I couldn't get the model to turn fast enough. It was actually blown sideways into that tree. Funnily enough, it was only about 12 feet off the ground (the fus). The model was undamaged in the tree - which was more than can be said for the tree.. I broke a strut and the wing joiner and a bit of superficial TE damage in the extraction process. It is true what they say about Nylon - though - no tears and no punctures. Incredibly tough

I really shouldn't post videos like this, it doesn't do my reputation any good at all.

Martyn

I'm saying nothing..... apart from I think you're very brave.... smile

However, I think there are a couple of issues about the mounting. The 'swimming' effect is often caused by an out-of-balance prop - it doesn't have to be much. This is more noticeable on a leccy model as you don't have the IC vibration.

The IC vibrations are causing most of your problems though - look at what happened when the engine cut - the u/c wire came into sharp focus and so did the picture overall. I would say you'd be better off attaching some self-adhesive Velcro to the cam and base - that will provide more isolation than you have at present.

My Mobius is out in the fresh air and I've not lost a cam with Velcro yet. Before you make any big alterations to your mount, it might be worth trying a bit of Velcro on one of the wings...

I agree, the loss of definition when uploading your edited vid is really annoying and, to a certain extent, negates the advantages of the Mobius's picture quality. On a 2Mb connection, it takes me about an hour or so to upload a 120Mb edit, which is about as small as you can get to retain some definition in a 4 min video.

Wondering whether this video isn't better placed in 'Incident Reports'.....wink 2teeth 2

Pete

Hi Pete

Thanks for the advice. I'll recheck the wooden prop balance. I must admit I didn't spend a lot of time balancing it in the first place.

I'll try the Velcro as well - I really would like to get this right, but don't want to lose the camera..

The full video is over 1GB - as a MOV file - but the full screen quality is excellent..

Best wishes

Martyn