Transmitter Purchase and Wind Flying

Chris Anthony

As I said chaps - wait for the next installment in RCM&E, while it's impossible to cover much in the way of different permutations, hopefully there is something useful in there.

I have a couple of the D8R Rx's because I wanted 100A current sensors. (not available in S.Port just yet).
But I'm trying to standardise on X*R receivers because it seems the sensible (for the future) way to go.

Chris, thanks for the info (and the plug!).

Bob, yes as you mentioned, I get RX battery voltage readings from the TX as standard with the D8R.

Yes some of that info did get confusing towards the end, but I'll pick it up in time when it starts to become more relevant. On the whole I'm not too worried about telemetry at the moment but it's nice to know what my options are.. I'm not yet even sure what the data would be useful for, other than it being used as "black box" clues in crash scenarios (?).

Well I'm getting well into the programming, it's good fun! But very time consuming. So far I'm doing Stick and Mix programming for my 3 models, and other general model set-ups. Something I plan for my Phoenix 742 glider is introducing some element of "flap" function on the flick of a switch, as there are independent servos for each aileron. Not sure exactly how I'll do it yet but it will be one of my first little projects with this TX.

I'm not sure how long to prolong this thread before it ends up being fully technical, and no longer "beginner" subject material but here is my first observation whilst doing all this programming:

I plan to use a common (my only) TX and RX for 3 models. Setting Stick and Mix parameters is all well and good, but this method is fully reliant on me plugging in the same servos into the same slots on the RX every time I swap the RX between models. Is this correct? I haven't yet come across a function that can determine which servo is which, no matter where it is plugged in on the RX. I suppose there is nothing to uniquely identify servos on a model, so this is always likely to be a problem, would you all agree? This wasn't such a problem with my old park fly RX, as the channels were labelled R-A-T-E, not numerically. As far as I can tell, the only way around this now is to record a key for channel numbers govern which control surface and keep this common when setting up all 3 models.