Martyn's Mini Jazz

Martyn K

Advert

Posted by Martyn K on 16/04/2014 08:33:45:

Thanks Ian.

Only one aileron working - wimp - two is just plain greedy, one is fine.

I am not sure what to do about surface throws though. At the moment it seems like a frightening amount (except rudder - you cant have too much rudder. I have a feeling it will be 50% expo and 40% rates.

Would appreciate some advice on this from those who have set one up before.

M

Throws?

Well since one of the primary objects of maiden flight is that it terminates in a controlled landing I wouldn't be over enthusiastic with the control throws. I would just set it up to complete the maiden and use that experience to judge what adjustments to make. 3D can come on the next flight.

Ha ha. My worry is that it could be 3D without even trying...

Remember - I need to keep this model alive until Greenacres. I also need to maiden it - potentially a conflicting requirement.

BTW - I am keeping the pink spinner for a while - I have a feeling it is going to get very muddy. The CG is as per plan with the prop fitted. I am really pleased with that - no ballast needed.

Edited By Martyn K on 17/04/2014 14:27:30

• 3 weeks later...

Well .... success

After a week away and last weekends UKCAA event at Sleap, I managed to maiden my Mini_Jazz this morning. Quite a blustery morning - it actually felt a lot windier than it really was.

1st flight was distinctly under elevated, the second flight was a riot. I needed about 2mm up elevator to get it flying nicely, the model was everything I would expect from a hot aerobatic model. The SC15 was definitely not over or under powered for the model, loops rolls, knife edge - all OK.

No photos - sorry, but we are now OK for GreenAcres with this one..

Very pleased with that.

BW

Martyn

Yes - far better than expected. I ended up using an 8x6 prop - it gave me a little extra ground clearance at the front.

It was nowhere near as twitchy as I thought it would be, I was quite surprised just how easy it was to fly. A cracking design.

Martyn