Parkzone P-51D Mustang

Will Ruffles

The PZ T28 is very easy to fly.  I got my son a RR ready one whilst on a stateside holiday.  It'll even cope with a breeze.

There's a company called www.squadronleader.co.uk who have all the spares for the PZ range.  Thier delivery is quick and they seem decent fellows on the phone.

Andy

PS the reason I know about the spares is that the T28 was a victim on my ongoing 2.4 radio saga ... 

• 2 weeks later...
Advert

I was told that out of the PZ war birds the Mustang flew the worst, followed by the FW 190 with the Spit coming out on top. Anyone vouch for that? Me I have the PZ Trojan, what a plane! Flies like a dream. Cut the power a long way out and time the glide with a calendar!! This was my second plane and have yet (touch wood) to crash it. Cant wait for the PZ Corsair, wha-hooo!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all, mine flew rather nice but had really bad throws. The push rods up the wing were always fouling, and yes the fuselage was very poor quality.

I used a lot of hot glue to tuffen the front up and still ended its life with the moter about 3" back from where it was supposed to be. Does not help flying inverted and dumb thumbing it into the ground at full speed about 4metres off the ground

• 2 months later...

Have just picked up a PZp51 at knockdown price with standard motor and no radio gear etc. Planned on putting my existing gear into it , but buying a esc and battery pack just for this model.  Not sure what to buy now having read all of the above.

Not planning to use it till get some time on my easy cub and twin star though.

Paul Hartley wrote (see)

Have just picked up a PZp51 at knockdown price with standard motor and no radio gear etc. Planned on putting my existing gear into it , but buying a esc and battery pack just for this model.  Not sure what to buy now having read all of the above.

Paul, you have cross posted this same question EXACTLY now within within minutes of each other. I have already answered your question in the other thread you started ! Please do NOT cross post.

heres your answer

Paul Hartley wrote (see)

Gemma Fairchild wrote (see)

I might go for something more like this now Paul clicky if someone with more knowledge about such things can confirm it would do the job in the PZ Mustang, it seems about right. Hope Will doesn't tell me off again for being random.

Gemma... it happens to be the same one as I suggested to Paul in his other thread ( see above )
Should be OK for your mustang, although I would have maybe gone slightly higher Kv and smaller prop for mustang like RPM and airspeed

Thanks Timbo, with all this cold weather and a bout of winter flu I've been in the shed a lot, so thoughts have turned to digging out my old Mustang project and breathing life back into it, just an E-Flite Sea Fury and pnp PZ Corsair to complete first, 2009 should be a good year

• 1 year later...
My Parkzone P-51 has just had it's very first "Tree Landing"!

Turning in on finals with a low sun in my eyes and complete lack of depth perception resulted in an earlier than expected landing in the top of a tree.

Lucky for the Mustang that it's owner has more damage and scratches than the plane, it came off absolutely unmarked, I came out of the thorn covered tree in tatters!

The Mustang flew 2 minutes after I got it down, a testiment to the Parkzone foamy planes, they really are tough!

I'd forgotten how easy the P-51 Gunfighter is to fly, I've been using my Alfa Tempest most days when I get a chance to fly and the Tempest is much more of a handful compared to the Stang, it's just what you get used to I guess?

Edited By James40 on 12/12/2010 14:06:00

Does a battery swap make a big difference David? 

The PZ P-51and BF109seems to amble along compared to the Tempest, another flying characteristic I've noted is the way the PZ models bleed energy during a turn, you have to add power to keep them going or they will really start to drop the nose, the Alfa models just zip through turns.

I think the P-51 could do with a little more power or a better prop to make it a great little flyer.

Agree, that's why I dug it out of the workshop, the last two days have been clear skies and almost calm winds, perfect for the foamies, not so for the larger models, I always find landing on a calm day needs a 50% larger runway or a perfect approach every time.....neither of which I can provide!