Phoenix V 4 and v5 is double the price worth it

Nigel Finch

Hi,

i have been told this sim is very good by my new club and looking there is V4 and the new V5. As a newbie I can not see the differences.

price of the new version is double what you can purchase the old version for so any advice on if it's worth it will be appreciated. I am happy to go for v5 if it will be better in helping me to learn to fly and better spend my actual time at the club field.

thanks all !

Advert

"Legitimate trading company" or not, it is still piracy. If we all bought these knock-off copies then it would guarantee there would never by a version 6.

I emailed phoenix support about a smilar listing on ebay and their response was;

"Yes, this is an illegal counterfeit product, and will most likely not function with later versions of our software."

I'd also be wary of any ebay seller with a feedback rating less than 99%. The one in kevin's link is 97.6%. (To the uninitiated that might sound like a good score, but in ebay terms it is poor.)

Ok. Here's another one from another "legitimate" source. **LINK**

The only difference is that this advert doesn't actually tell you about the free software, but the disc is in the photo.

When I bought my spare dongle I had already approached Reflex, who informed me that the only way to get a spare, or if I broke mine, would be to buy the complete package again, but if I just wanted the software I could get it for free.

It strikes me that the Chinese (or other German) version is in actual fact superior as it is compatable with other companies software.

I'm not going to get invloved in a debate over piracy etc, as I see both sides of the argument. However I do have to live in the real world. I will ask one question. If the original manufacturers of proportional R/C controllers could have policed their "copyright" as Microsoft did with their product. Would we all be able to buy quality radio gear, from reputable manufacturers, at todays prices ? I think not.

kevinb.

Posted by kevin b on 29/03/2014 20:42:04:

I'm not going to get involved in a debate over piracy etc, as I see both sides of the argument.

Just bear in mind you might not have any choice if Phoenix were to choose to pursue this issue to the bitter end - they might just look beyond the importer to the customers who supported this illegal activity.

I certainly wouldn't boast about it on this, or any other, forum, anyway....disgust

Pete

Sorry if it came across that way Pete. That wasn't the intention. I was just pointing out that this is the world we live in. Taking the high moral ground is one thing, but most of us cannot afford to do so. Some financially and others, because of the way we have to conduct our lives in order to carry out our work and survive. Personaly I try my best not to operate double standards and so I accept what goes on around me. I may not totally agree, but that's how it is. With regards to the item in question, the simulator, we all know that software is copied, stolen, "borrowed" etc, but in this case, the companies use the electronic "adaptor" to protect their sales. They seem to be happy for anyone to copy their programs. Unfortunately these days it is just as easy for other people to reverse engineer the electronic components as well.

Goodness know what it will be like when they eventually sort out high quality 3d scanners and printers ! Anyone for a Moki 5 cylinder radial clone, half price ?

I will try and leave it at that as the thread writer has sorted out his problem and should be happy with his purchase (which is the way it should be). Me. I can use my flight sim at home and at work (I am self employed) without having to remember to keep my dongle with me all the time.

kevinb.

I agree with kevin , phoenix will be well aware of what is available on the likes of ebay , it seems to me that either they are not bothered , or it would cost too much to pursue it .

This is the world we now live in , with clones of virtually everything readily available , you are presented with a choice depending on a number of factors , finance being one of them , and moral grounds another , you don't have to purchase a "clone" , its your choice . I'm sure the regulators of ebay know only too well what is being presented for sale , but do they do anything to stop it ..... seems not .