MIA EZ Gyro 1.0 (P/O MIA's EZ Line) A Designer Point of View

I have always had a soft spot for "Micro" RC models. Beginning with the Rubber powered helis I designed back in the 80's to the Micro Helis I designed back in the 90's and smaller ones in early 2000's. But I've been known to go off on tangents with the larger stuff, only when boredom sets in .

Following in my traditional "Micro" Rc model work, this is another model that I designed in hopes to attract more people to this niche area of the RC hobby.

Feels like Deja Vu, as back in 2000 I had made similar attempts to attract people into Micro helis with all the stuff I was posting back then on the Internet and look at where the hobby is now with micro helis. So this feels very much like those times and I hope I am not wrong that one day RC Autogyros will be as popular RC Micro helis are now.

I feel RC Autogyros will be the next micro helicopter trend, but "WE" must continue to keep the ball rolling with more and various models, videos, and discussions. We have to acknowledge that making a niche area grown into perhaps a huge popular area, takes collective effort and it makes sense , at least to me, that allowing those that push the envelop to showcase what they do best only helps drive more viewers to related areas and grow the market.

With this in mind, let me talk a little more about the MIA EZ Gyro 1.0

The MIA EZ Gyro 1.0 . The 1.0 is the number I selected to designate the size base, and this started with the earlier MIA Microlights and Ultralights, RC models of similar designation. I had designed 5 sizes from 1.0, 1.25, 1.5, 1.75 and 2.0. The 2.0 nears 1:4 Scale and from there we ca have a better reference to the MIA EZ line model size logic which many of you who may have been following my You Tube videos may have wondered about. I have dropped the 1.25 and 1.75 sizes only because 1.0, 1.5 and 2.0 sizes are more simple to associate with.

I have made the MIA EZ 1.0 as best as I can make it, in a small package that is easy to transport, highly durable and highly stable. It can fly very slow and very fast with equal high degree of stability, as can be appreciated in the related videos.

The heart of this little guy is the rotor and blades, mainly, which have been optimized for high speed and lift. The blades are made via a unique blade manufacturing method, which I developed specifically for this model.

Because I have not seen similar size or category RC Autogyro models in DIY or manufactured form, with the degree of performance as the MIA EZ Gyro 1.0, I have to say this is the worlds first of its kind.

I hope that my readers and viewers will take this as the base of better things to come. I am sure this will eventually get others inspired even though some will never admit so. That's OK, the whole point is to open up RC autogyros area to more people, if we keep this in mind there should be no need to feel we need to compete against each other.

Every time I fly an RC autogyro I feel many people are missing a level of fun that you simply can not know until you try one.

• 3 weeks later...
Advert

Easter Sunday Fun Fly! 

My nephew came over Easter Sunday, he loves to go flying with me, so we went to what has become my favorite new playground, the Wild West Dessert Park, not really a park, but it is an area 3 minutes from home and great for that quick flying fix when you need one.

I took three models with me, my trusty old boy the MIA BBW with dual blades, this model has been working beautifully (See my other videos for the latest flights "con el dos palas", the MIA Ultralight Slow Stick, and the MIA EZ Gyro 1.0

For sake of simplicity I have been doing all my videos with the Mobius camera and have been slowly allowing it to go on-board my models. This time it was begging me to put it on the MIA EZ Gyro 1.0. I was a bit reluctant , at first, because I was not sure how the model would handle the extra weight of the Mobius, the 1.0 is a small but powerful model and it flew great with it as well.

In this video we can see a close-up of the terrain I take off from and land, not to mention crashes are more pronounced, not like crashing on grass. It is pretty rough, but it has given me a different point of view and perhaps an added advantage as an RC Model designer. I have no choice but have to make my designs tough! yet lightweight. Years of experience designing RC models of all sorts, has allow me to perfect a nice MIA trademark formula of robustness with lightness and of course, the look that many already recognize, so my models are able to take quite a bit of abuse, and still work and look good, where as other models would be headed over to the trash bin.

The MIA BBW is a good example, it has seen dirt and air more than I care to count, yet still ticking after all these years. The EZ gyros are no different and are built with the same MIA trademark characteristics. The 1.0 model really kicks butt! , pardon my French as I am just too excited not to describe it any other way, it would be too subtle and the MIA EZ Gyro is not your average balsa and stick model, in fact there is no model like it, period.

This is another video of the model doing what it does best. This model has not let me down form the minute it took off from the drawing board and is stable and easy to control unbelievably beyond even some RC park flyer airplanes, without the aid of any electronic stabilizing devices, not even a pre-rotator  . If you have been watching the MIA EZ 1.0 videos, these characteristics are not hard to miss.

No wonder there is silence in the room

Edited By MIA Micro-FLIGHT (Mario I. Arguello) on 22/04/2014 05:01:07

Edited By MIA Micro-FLIGHT (Mario I. Arguello) on 22/04/2014 05:05:14

Edited By MIA Micro-FLIGHT (Mario I. Arguello) on 22/04/2014 05:06:18

• 3 weeks later...

A recent flight video, rather long but necessary to illustrate the awesome flight handling of this micro gyro. This gyro has it own MIA unique rotor head, universal joint and blades. I have spent a great deal of time on making this model and the rest in its line methodical from every aspect of its design so that it kicks !!! in its performance.

With so many similar RC autogyro these days and the numbers slowly but surely increasing, it is very easy for someone not familiar with the subtle but important features from one "bensen Structure" design to another to think they are all the same. They are not!.

Edited By MIA Micro-FLIGHT (Mario I. Arguello) on 12/05/2014 01:55:24

Posted by Stephen Jones on 12/05/2014 23:43:54:

Looks Very Fast ,

Any chance of some Pictures it looks a bit James bond .

Also why do you keep walking around , did you forget where you place you're flight box ?

How much will it be , Will it be available in the UK , is it easy to fly ?

Steve ,

Hi Steve,

The model is indeed fast, but will fly slow and docile if you want it.

Yes, I have attached a photo I submitted to Model Aviation News for possible review and an RC Model Buyers guide here in the USA for convenience, since I live here in the USA, but would love to work with RCME as well.

About the James Bondish look? Maybe in the yellow and black paint scheme? I never thought about that, the yellow and black goes back to my original MIA Bumble Bee rc micro helicopter kits and I've kept that color scheme through many of my other product developments through a span of over 10 YEars. But since you mentioned it I can see a bit of James Bond aura in it, not just in the color but the way it flies, perhaps. Well, it is not Little Nellie , although the Bensen architecture is undeniable, something I started with when I did my first RC autogyro.

I move around to circulate the blood in my legs, my legs hurt if I stay in one place standing for too long.

The kit is going for $89.00 , ARF, with servos, receiver, ESC, prop $129.99.

Accessories will be extra things like Wheel Covers, and other miscellaneous goodies that I like doing so to have a variety.

Yes, the kit will be available in the UK as well, and yes it is easy to fly because it is stable design. You will need some park flyer  experience. 

mia ez 1.0 rc autogyro.jpg

Edited By MIA Micro-FLIGHT (Mario I. Arguello) on 13/05/2014 02:10:13

Here is another video of it flying fast and slow, windy day. Also it has been fitted with a MIA pilot figure for added realism. This Video is one of several takes done on May 16, 2014 thus it has been labeled "Part A' as the first.

Edited By MIA Micro-FLIGHT (Mario I. Arguello) on 17/05/2014 11:50:48

Edited By MIA Micro-FLIGHT (Mario I. Arguello) on 17/05/2014 11:52:39