Airsail Chipmunk Kit limited re run.

ZK BAP

Hi Nick, first you have to create an album then when posting you shoud be able to hit the little camera icon in the message box and navigate to your pictures that you have uploaded. Thats how i do mine, there maybe a quicker way?

Regards

ZK

First wing panel being joined to the center section. The plywood brace gives the wing angles etc. One panel at a time is joined. The sheeting will be added after. We added extra triangle stock on these joints as my mate plans to be a racer ( Being a motor bike racer ) and wants to put a 90 4 stroke in it. MMMMNNN

image075.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Well after more than 3 years of faithful service, my cowling finally gave way and I have had to build a new one. I must admit, it had been some what abused with the odd nose over, but none the less it is time for a replacement. I ordered a new one from Brian at Airsail some time ago so had a spare in the cupboard. The cowling is in 3 pieces. Two sides and the nose cone. All go together nicely with a bit of care.

0620142147-03.jpg

0620142147-00.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Well update now is that moldings have been produced, and stick wood sorted for the kits, so they are not far from complete.

Will keep you posted on progress.

im going to start another thread on ' tomsies chippy' which is the one we are building now. . We plan on a 90 and maybe adding retracts!. Sneak preview.

image077.jpg

image083.jpg

Looking good mate. Have you decided on a motor and tank size. I filled the ply wood box with tank/fuel and get approx 23mins + couple go arounds with my FS61.

Good news is the kits are not far from completion so hopefully more 'chippies' will be over there soon.. The one my mate is building in my shed is going to have a 90 and possibly retracts too. He races motorbikes and speed is his goal. I believe the 'Chipmunk' is a very good air plane design, and after flying one for 3 years I must say it is a very robust aircraft and is forgiving in flight.

Cheers

ZK BAP

HI ZK BAP, yip i have 2 engine options i can chose from , a os 48 FS or a os 61 FS, i think i will put the 48 in this plane , and save the 61 for the next one, i have a circle tank which just squeezes in the engine box , am stilling searching on trademe for a square one that will have a bit more cc. what is the brand of tank you used?

i like the sound of the 91 is it a four stroke or two stroke unit?.and also the retracts will be good, will probably reduce the drag of the undercarrage considerably

nick

Hello, I've just test flown my Airsail Chipmunk yesterday after taking more then 7 years to build it. Not that I spent all that much hours actually building the kit, there seem to be other project that got in the way. Well that's my story!

It flew very well but I did not have much time in the air as a thunderstorm loomed then the heavens opened.

It is powered by a OS 52 Four stroke and has working flaps.finished in RAF colours.

Even after the very short initial flight I was impressed with how stable it flew.

James

Hi James, welcome to the thread. Good to hear the test flight went all ok.

Nick I put a Dubro tank in, cant remember what size but the biggest that filled the whole ply front box section. I get approx 20 mins+ on the 61FS 13x6. I took the box section down to my LHS and tried all tanks until i found one that squashed in ok.

• 3 weeks later...