Airsail Chipmunk Kit limited re run.

ZK BAP

Advert

ZK - I don't think that the use of flaps will lengthen the take-off run, probably the opposite! I disliked the way the model would be off the ground in a couple of fuselage lengths, so started taking off on a very reduced throttle.

I have to admit to not trying a flapless take-off for many years - over 10 years, probably - I just found that it looked and felt better on half flap which is what I've always seen used by full size Chipmunks.

Nick, if the engine is in reasonable condition, it should give decent scale performance with a bit to spare. Mine, which isn't lightweight by any means, flies very adequately on a 52 and I was told by the designer that the prototype performed well with a "tired" OS 40 FS. I suspect this would only have given "very scale" performance though. Mine loops comfortably from level flight.

Sorry Martin, what i was trying to say is I will take off on 1/3-1/4 power with half flaps like you do. I agree flat tack with flaps would be a couple meters lol. Plus if the full size has that take off configuration, I should try it for scale competitions ( if I ever enter 1 ).

Nick, I tend to agree with Martin. As he says, the designer flew it on a very tired 40fs. However, I always over power my models a bit just to make sure, hence mine has a 61fs. I believe it will fly scale like on the 40, and experimenting with prop sizes can be beneficial too.

Regards

ZK BAP

Thx Martin. I cant remember now what I put on the 61. I'll pull the spinner off and check. I was thinking of maybe doing a bit of prop experimenting, and seeing what will happen to performance. We are lucky at our club with minimal noise problems.

Thanks martin, i have a 12x5 master airscrew prpp which i will use on the 48.

i have started adding extra balsa pieces to the wings for the flaps, not really sure why the kits arent included with material for the flaps in the first place, the instructions have dimensions in metric, where as the model shops balsa wood is all in imperial. had to take a tape measure to make sure i bought the right size balsa.

Hi danny. Yes as I posted earlier we have found an importer in the UK and production to commence. We dont know the exact time frame yet, thats all. Things are still being finalized, but the nod has been given and some Airsail Chipmunks will find their way to the UK.

Cheers

ZK BAP

Posted by ZK BAP on 07/05/2014 08:04:11:

Sorry Martin, what i was trying to say is I will take off on 1/3-1/4 power with half flaps like you do. I agree flat tack with flaps would be a couple meters lol. Plus if the full size has that take off configuration, I should try it for scale competitions ( if I ever enter 1 ).

Nick, I tend to agree with Martin. As he says, the designer flew it on a very tired 40fs. However, I always over power my models a bit just to make sure, hence mine has a 61fs. I believe it will fly scale like on the 40, and experimenting with prop sizes can be beneficial too.

Regards

ZK BAP

Just found this documentary which has a lot of onboard footage - standard checks after take-off and established in the climb include a check that the flaps have been retracted. I've only flicked through it so far but it looks extremely interesting and I intend watching it properly this evening.

Actually, flaps are optional for take-off - 15 degrees will give the shortest run though. Most of my Chipmunk experience was from a few yards behind, attached to a towrope and take-off flap was always used.

Pulled the spinner off mine the other day, and my 61 has a 12x6 on it. I think i might go a bit bigger. Anyways kit production has started. My mate has also started his kit. Interesting on what Martin came up with. Fantastic!. I still have to try a flap take off....I will keep in touch about the kits. There will only be limited numbers. Shipping date TBA.

Cheers

Zk BAP

Posted by ZK BAP on 15/05/2014 10:45:00:

Pulled the spinner off mine the other day, and my 61 has a 12x6 on it. I think i might go a bit bigger. Anyways kit production has started. My mate has also started his kit. Interesting on what Martin came up with. Fantastic!. I still have to try a flap take off....I will keep in touch about the kits. There will only be limited numbers. Shipping date TBA.

Cheers

Zk BAP

If it's any help, a scale prop would be exactly 13.5 inches. I'm not sure if they're still available but Bolly used to do a range of props in half inch sizes.

When I said limited kits, turns out it is very limited special run. Only 40 Chipmunk kits will make the crossing, with a few Beavers and small Aop9s tagging a ride. This is a one off production run at this stage and 40 lucky people will have a beautiful plane. Will keep you posted.

Regards

ZK BAP

Cheers Martin, I will go prop shopping angel

Yes, I do know who is importing the kits Martin, as it was me who threw the idea out there. There is no list as yet. TBA. The importer has said the following.

"Too many people are quick to make promises they can't keep. The Airsail kits will not be offered for sale until I have the date that they will arrive in this country. As I am a modeller, not a retailer, the kits will be sold at as reasonable price as possible and one of the magazines has shown an interest on doing a feature on them."

We will let you all know as things progress.

Keep watching this space for updates.

Regards

ZK BAP

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a sneak preview of my mates chippy he is building. ( On my bench lol ) This one was the last kit Brian Borland made on the LAST run of the chippy. He has now got to the stage of almost joining the wings. Very important note is to build some ' washout into it ' 6.5mm at the tip and 2.5 at the root.

Cheers

ZK BAP

PS... Kits are being made as we type smiley

0604142028-01.jpg

0604142028-00.jpg

0604142027-01.jpg

0604142027-00.jpg