Airsail Chipmunk Kit limited re run.

ZK BAP

The wing is a complete write off. The snake the prop hit pulled it through both wings ribs. Due to impact speed the wing mount and fuse mounts got shattered. Body is repairable yes, but wing is wrecked 2 servos also went.

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 18/08/2014 12:31:16

Advert

Loss of signal or a power failure while taxing but the motor throttled up not down so I guess there was no fail safe set. Ah yes the kits. great news is they are being packed now and should be leaving NZ any day. Will let you guys know as soon as I confirm with Brian from Airsail. Sounds like they are on schedule to be there on time.

I hope he made one extra for me lol lol.

Cheers

ZK BAP

First off. If I may ask the mods, can we please change the 'possible' out of the thread title and state 'limited' numbers.laugh

Kits are due to leave good old NZ end of month.

An email address is being set up for takers. {will keep you posted}

Those not already contacted will need to re register interest on the above email once confirmed.

will keep you posted.

regards

zkbap

This is said from the importer.

The Airsail kits order is being processed and they are due in this country before the beginning of November. The final pricing cannot be fixed until the import duty is paid and we still do not have this cost.>>

This is being done on a "modeller to modeller" basis to keep costs down for all concerned. Unfortunately the exchange rate these days with New Zealand is not as favourable as it was !>>

It is intended to advertise these only through the forum and RCM&E magazine. This is due to the small quantity. Should demand be sufficient then more could be imported

Since there are no more chippies in NZ for sale ( because you guys get the last run of kits lol ) and after reading Colin's comment I think a rebuild will be ok. I dove deeper into my damaged one and I am going to have a crack at rebuilding it. So far I have replaced RH wing seat and sheeting up to cockpit area along with 4 former's and new servo rails etc. After opening and removing the covering I found a lot more damage throughout, especially the wing. Basically from the wing root joint to tip needs a bit of kiwi engineering, but really only the front section forward of the spar plus add another spar top and bottom to replace all the splintered bits. I am lucky my mate has kept the cut outs of his wing ribs so from number 5 to 11 I was able to trace the shapes. With a bit of fiddling and modifying I am hoping to be able to put new ribs in and maintain the tapers. If I am unable to re-install the snakes I will have to opt for individual servos in the wings for both ailerons. This will only require a small insertion in the good wing to lay the servo wire. The flap connection seems to be untouched so I will leave it as is. The only snag is I do not think I will ever trust that wing again with big g forces, so will just putt around until I can twist Brian's arm at Airsail to make me another kit. Will try get some pics up on the structure and the repair as it is completed.

Cheers

ZK BAP

Happy to pay for what the market is. Here is 250 when produced.

We have one of the last run being built now with my mates chippie. There was major changes between my run and his one. All the elevator etc ribs are lined out. I had to build mine. Now the flap arrangement comes mapped out. Fantastic. Less build time. Brilliant design. Flies superbly when constructed right.

I miss mine already crying

A re-build is still on the cards. Will let you know if I am happy with the wing. If not I will be looking for a new one and start again.

Cheers mate

Regards

ZK BAP

• 3 weeks later...

Looks great Nick. Excellent.

I managed to rebuild / repair my Chippie and flew her again for the first time a couple of Friday's ago at the lake forsyth fly in. A few trim requirements but flew fine. Last Sunday flew fantastic, maybe even better than the original lol. A full two weeks every night in the shed is what it took. I will build another one some day, but at the moment more than happy with mine. The repair is visible but did not alter any flying characteristics as i was careful to build the washout in. The wing seat on the repair side and the center underside is now balsa not abs. Here is a few pics of the repair.

0822142156-00.jpg

0823141736-00.jpg

0823141955-00.jpg

0824141153-00.jpg

0824141837-00.jpg

Sitting with the sister.

0828142134-00.jpg

thats awesome!!! bap, you managed to restore your chipmunk its goes to say that its a very strong aircraft if it can be repaired so quickly. i noticed the wood quailty in the airsail models is better than some other models i have put together. well done!!!!! is the engine still ok??

Yes the wood is of good quality. The air frame is strong, but also very light which is why she flies so well. A great low wing trainer with some attitude lol. My motor was ok as she was hit while parked by a run away. It was the 13 inch turning prop that hit first that did the damage. We have just made the RH set of flaps and ailerons on my mates chippie. we are not far from fully sheeting as all wires etc are also in.

Some kits are in the middle of the ocean trying to find a place called UK. I am sure they will be like homing birds and arrive to nest.

Nick, have you decided on a finishing covering etc? We are thinking of tex and paint, bit heavy, but with a 90 should add more strength. I hate the plastic ones rippling in the sun. Try and keep all your gear as far forward as possible. I have 2 NiMH 4.8v right up behind the tank where the ply box finishes. No real ballast was required.

All the best

Will keep you Brit's posted about your chippies as i get info.

Cheers

ZK BAP

Well mmmnnn Stevo, i wonder. i guess OS because of name and quality, but i have ASP and OS engines and all go well. Cost would be an issue. This is where ASP fill the gap. My 61fs has been a great little 10cc for over 3 years now. There is a lot of choice and many copy cat brands. Lets put that one out there and see what response we get stevo.

Ok as Stevo said in above post, what are your opinions guys?

Im happy with ASP. Just a bigger one next time lol

ZK BAP

yes BAP i bought some solarfilm which ive used before on other models, its easy to clean off the fuel/oil after flight , just as long as you dont put another layer of covering of a different colour over it or cheap stickers it will work ok and will use it for this chipmunk, its the rcaf version with bubble conopy so its going to be yellow and canadian stickers just like the photo on the cover of the box, the next chipmunk build will be the raf type, probabaly be silver like your one, will decide further down the track.

If it's any help Nick, mine, with 2 not very lightweight pilots and onboard glow fitted comes out at around 8.5 lbs with 8 ounces of fuel in the tank.

It flies very nicely at this weight with no vices and I have to restrict throttle to less than half in order to get anything like a reasonable scale take off run with an OS 52 FS.

Finish was tissue/dope on the fuselage and Solartex on the wings and open structures painted with Humbrol enamels and fuel proofed.

Edited By Martin Harris on 10/09/2014 14:10:56

Hi. Nick I have not weighed mine lately, but i think with 2 rx packs and the 61fs and all bits and bobs was about 2.5kg. Next time my mate brings his digital scale over ill check since the repair may have added.

I am running a 13x6 and sounds great with heaps of power. Like most do i just pull the beast back for scale flying, but there is no substitute for horsepower. If ever needed at the crucial moment, i would always have some extra power. The differences in engine weight from the 54 to the 61 is minimal, and still hides in the cowl nicely. It will be interesting after i finish this other chippie for my mate when i put a 91fs in her.

Nick, i must admit that the solar film that was 3 years old had hung on pretty good. How ever from now on all my planes will be sprayed like the big Auster Aop9 i built. ( there is a post on this )

Cheers for now

ZK BAP

the solarfilm is a little pricey but as you say its long lasting. i guess like anything you get what you pay for, i havnt painted a balsa plane yet, so not really sure what paints or where to start, but im keen to know what paints people are using on the plastic moulded pieces on the chipmunk like the wing tips etc?

by the way thanks for the replys on the weight and engine info, i have tried to keep the weight of the plane down by using minimal amount of glue/epoxy etc , as the plane starts to take shape, you doubt weither the plane is too heavy or has enough power so was just asking around, thanks will have another update soon.