What's the main radio brand you fly?

Yes Brian it had a valve,

It was very well made as all OS stuff was and still is. Grey upper case with the valve sticking out and the tuning screws adjacent black plastic bottom, you had to make up the hooks to hang the suspension bands on. I remember we didn't have 'foamy' sponge as we know it, there was 'Dunlopillo' latex derived and hard black foam which was aircraft parts packing and 'horsehair' and latex shock absorbent material which was difficult to use.

I remember the furious rewinding of the escapement rubber after the engine starts had vibrated the actuator and run it down. In the mid 60s I did get the better of single channel esc's using solid state receivers and a Gem controller and various actuators such as the Bonner compound and Emic escapement. I even had a Min X RX, and doing slope soaring with converted power models. Great unreliable fun.

Hi Roy,You must be ticking on like me to remember things like that,do you remember the Hill 2 valve Rx which was home built and used batteries like they were going out date ,that would have been about 1956,there was Thing called a quench coil which was very difficult to wind so an enterprising firm wound them for you for a small fee,I seem to remember it worked very well at the time.

Brian, I remember years ago buying a brand new in the box Hard valve Rx for 10/- bob at one of the shows as I still had escapments lying around. I didn't use and sold it on eBay a couple of years ago. 'Brimar' valve I think - I remember looking at a Blue Steel in Cosford years ago and it had Brimar valves in it ! I know the son of the originator of the Elmic brand of actuators and he says he still has a fair quantity left at his home. His name is Mike Elmes hence the name ELMIC. As Michael Caine said, 'Not many people know that'.