Glue for Acrowot Foam E

IanR

I've just bought one of these and a couple of seams have not been properly glued together and the plastic catch which retains the hatch is loose from the surrounding foam. So I need to glue foam to foam and plastic to foam.

Would it be OK to use my hot glue gun? It's a Stanley with Hi and Lo settings and I have some Stanley dual heat glue sticks. Is it OK to use the Hi setting or will this melt the foam?

I also have some Zacki Elapor type ca. Would it be better to use this?

Many thanks for any info.

Ian

Advert

Try it on the inside if you are worried. I'm pretty sure that the hot glue won't melt it. [It don't melt Depron] but as Geoff says, its adherence isn't great.

Bathroom sealant works surprisingly well... just give it time to dry and don't use too much as its heavy. In fact, I think quite a few foamies are glued together in the factory with something like it.

Bog standard Cyno is fine. Be careful with kicker though as that can get the cyano hot enough to melt foam. Epoxy should also work.

Hot glue might be good for the catch as you need to fill in around between the plate on the bottom and foam and the gap above the plate too, when the glue cools it will stiffen it up well, Gorilla glue is also very good, especially for things like under carriage plates etc, just make sure its held in place well as the glue expands, so not as good where there`s moving parts

The plastic hatch keeper is not very well designed as mine and as couple more I know of became very loose, you only need a little bit of the foam holding it in place to break and its nearly useless, the good thing is with the battery being in there so tight there aint much chance of it falling out if the hatch goes awol

Hot glue applied from a Bosch long nozzle gun is ideal. Push the nozzle into the foam 3--4mm deep & move along the seam until full, clean off any excess with a finger ready to be dipped in cold water!!

I have used this gun to repair many club mates planes with great success. the secret is the long nozzle which can inject glue over 12mm deep if needed. ( Example ) A foam Wot 4's under cart was ripped off & was repaired by removing the piece of plastic bonded to the foam & then injecting a good 4" of glue stick where it sat, the nozzle keeps the glue molten until enough is applied, leave to set for at least 10 mins then pilot drill & self tap under cart back in position. This £18 gun has repaired at least 5 planes that would have been written off.

I had a problem with the u/c on my Acrowot E - after the first time I wiped it off, Cyano and/or Zacki was disappointing (u/c came off about one landing in three ) - Gorilla Glue lasted longer, but eventually let me down. The answer seems to be DeLuxe Materials Foam2Foam with additional support from a couple of criss-crossed zip ties. After the success of the F2F I have successfully treated the odd gaping seam with it - just needs a bit of patience - it needs a bit of time to dry hard.