Funny Button

Levanter

Does anyone else have a funny button on their computer. You never know which one you pressed but it is the one that opens a new window and when you come back to this place, all your text and pictures have gone. Arrrrrrrgghh!

Last night I was just tidying up a new section on my Mini Jazz blog. Not hugely long but ending at a convenient stage in the work in progress when I hit the funny button.

Is there a neat way round this? I know nothing about the technicalities but would it be possible to type into a preview screen that defaults to "save" if you go to another window or web page? One might want to do this on purpose for references but I manage to do it before I even know what I have done.

Advert

Save your work every two minutes. wink 2

Yeap! It happens to me too sometimes. I think it's when you get momentarily lazy and a less than precise double key strike dumps you to somewhere you didn't know existed.

Either that or the cat shuts the whole system down!!

Edited By Chuck Plains on 27/04/2014 10:53:27

Edited By Chuck Plains on 27/04/2014 10:54:45

Edited By Chuck Plains on 27/04/2014 10:56:06

Can you give us a bit more info?

Are you using a PC or a Mac, or something else?

What operating system (eg. Windows 7)?

What browser (eg. Firefox, Chrome, IE)?

When you say it "opens a new window" do you mean a new tab or new instance of the browser, or does it just take you to a new site in the same browser window?

If you click on a link whilst composing your reply then you more than likely will lose your text if you try and return to it - it's something I occasionally do when using my phone on here and I miss the "Add Posting" button, instead hitting the Terms and Conditions link. It's extremely annoying when it happens - especially as entering text on the phone is a lot slower than with a keyboard!

Hello John. I am using a PC laptop running Windows 7. The browser is IE. The problem is that I am a "semi touch" typer. In other words I use more than one finger and type quite quickly but not according to any rules. I don't use my little fingers or my thumbs for instance so when I do something wrong, it has already happened before I realise the mistake. I wonder if I am highlighting then hitting return or backspace. (certainly not delete, that is too far away) I think the link thing is also a likely cause but referring to links is something that I do frequently because I produce written report for a living. I have seen on this forum that many other people have found the same problem and I wonder if there is some kind of failsafe fix.

OK, can you answer the one question from before that you didn't answer...

When you say it "opens a new window" do you mean a new tab or new instance of the browser, or does it just take you to a new site in the same browser window?

And a new question! What is displayed in the "new window"?

I've just tried something that I thought might replicate what you're doing, but it doesn't quite do the same. I'm using Firefox, IE might behave differently. From the reply box (that I'm typing in mow) if I hit Tab twice the Terms and Conditions link is highlighted, if I then hit Return the Ts&Cs link is opened in the same browser tab. However I can simply hit the Back button and get back to my original text.

testing

Yes that works for me in Firefox too. (haven't used IE for several years) But I presume it's part of the mechanism within the T&C link that is expecting you to want to go back to exactly what you had on screen before.

But I'm using the Lubuntu operating system as of last week anyhoo, (I love cheap) so anything I do on my PC may have little relevance to Lev's issue.

Posted by Chuck Plains on 27/04/2014 22:03:37:

But I presume it's part of the mechanism within the T&C link that is expecting you to want to go back to exactly what you had on screen before.

No, I'd say that behaviour is entirely down to the browser.

F'r instance... I'm now part-way through typing my reply. If I now type bbc.co.uk in the address bar at the top (in Firefox) and hit Enter then I disappear from my reply and go to the BBC website - in the same browser window/tab. If I then click the "Back" button I return to here with my half-written reply still intact.

But if I'd done the same thing in IE then I'd get returned to an empty reply box.

Edited By John Privett on 27/04/2014 22:14:02

Except that he could use Firefox instead of IE. thumbs up

I've used Firefox for years too - at home at least. (At work I have to use IE.) At home I only use IE when I absolutely have to - typically with badly-written websites that only work properly with IE. Fortunately that is becoming less and less frequent as IE becomes more standards-compliant.

Posted by Budgie Daz on 27/04/2014 23:27:32:

My dogs have a habit of hitting the "funny" key and doing weird things to the screen size when they sit on my lap. I have spent hours trying to figure out what they've done and have never found what key or set of keystrokes they have managed to do,

Clearly, we have a lot to learn from animals.