Converting the West Wings Spitfire to R/C

Dave Blakemore

Advert

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

Not an area I was planning to venture into, but I have a Guillows cessna I should be building. Now if I could control it with 2 or more channels and electric power,I'd be very interested. Is there any way of guaging the start-up price of electrification of such a model - motor, servos, TX, RX/ESC, LiPo, charger(s) etc?

I've been meaning to resurrect a Nicad cub for my daughter - 2S ~800mAh should do it. Now some of the costs could surely be shared...

Please can you help me anyone?

Regards, Rob

Well the micron site should give you an idea of radio cost - of course it all depends where you shop and what brand you want. For starters the last microsized servos I bought cost me around £2 each from H/C.

Very small ESCs are available these days for around a fiver or even less! You need to post details of model weight to assess motor costs....but again for small brushless outrunner motors budget around a fiver.

I have a really tiny little 1300Kv outrunner here which I purchased along with some other stuff a while back ( just to make up a shipping order really and I was curious to see it ! ) I will never use it, so if you are interested PM me.

Here it is next to a standard AA receiver battery.

/sites/3/images/member_albums/25339/SL270991.jpg

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I converted the West Wings Sea Fury OK and everything worked fine but never got around to actually fly it cause when we were packing to go on holiday it was sitting on the spare bed and a suitcase got dropped on it.

The fuse is fine so will build a new mainplane for it complete with ailerons like the last one, do have the W.W Spit F22 stored away for future consideration,  I think my Sea Fury may have been a tad overpowered with a 2812 and 6.5'' four bladed prop but it didnt half look nice!

regards           Terry

• 1 month later...

Hmm I've got exactly that model sat in a packing case bought with exactly this in mind couldn't find the electronics light enough at the time and so its sat in that case for 3 years and two house moves. now's time to drag it out I guess. well done to the lad two weeks to aerobatics is fast by anyone's standards and positively mercurial by mine.  and with a spit too

By the way when did we have a two week strech of good weather must have been asleep

Soon after my last post in June I actually got to build a new wing for the bird and to lighten the wing loading a little built a centre section 80mm wider than the plans and it actually looks better for it, just finished airbrushing it as a RAF Fury and all I need to do now is find that damned canopy I put away so safe I cant find it..........

regards,                Terry

• 3 weeks later...

Fantastic job,

I'd be interested in what the spec is for the gear you used. I did try to convert a CC Lee Piper Cub, the little free flight foam thing costs about £10. This was two years ago and I used a brushed motor similar in size to the one originaly fitted but with a higher voltage rating, a 2S 350 lipo, GWS ESC, two 4.5 gram Cirus servo's and a mini RX that I got at Old Warden for about £8. The problem was lack of power from the brushed motor, and one servo going US on me.

http://forums.modelflying.co.uk/sites/3/images/member_albums/26994/oddments_011_(Medium).jpg

http://forums.modelflying.co.uk/sites/3/images/member_albums/26994/oddments_015_(Medium).jpg

http://forums.modelflying.co.uk/sites/3/images/member_albums/26994/oddments_013_(Medium).jpg

Now Giantcod do some really small brushless setups and cheap servo's, and Flair do some slightly larger stick and tissue kits ( I had the FW 190 for crimbo). Might be worth taking another look at it.

Cheers,

Chris.

One recent discovery (like today) concerns the servos sold by Hobbycity.com the HXT900's, they always appeared to be a bit steppy and rough to me but for tqwo quid each what can you expect? then today I plugged them into a decent RX and they work fine.

No roughness at all and pefectly responsive so it isnt the servo's at all but the micro receivers I have been using from Sunip or summat like that, a word of warning about these servo's by the way - theere is a SG50 and SG90 but dont touch either of them.

Go for the SG500 and SG900 which have Japanese resin gears and last a lot longer, the SG50 and SG90 have nylon gears and are made for the Chinese home market and cost a lot less than the 500 and 900 in China so the sellers particularly on eBay buy them for about 60p each and flog them out at around 2 quid,

Regards.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 years later...
Hi Chaps,
Just started building a West Wings Wingleader series Hurricane and want to convert it to RC EP - needs to link to my DX7.
Looked at the forum to see if anyone had posted a similar job and I found this thread but it seems to start at the end and I can't view pics….
ANy thoughts…?

Chris,
Thanks. You're a star! I'm sure that's where they were pointing. Looks just the ticket and I'll now start looking at where I need to make a few amends to my kit.
Now I'm really looking forward to the Christmas break. If only Santa will bring me a few days peace and quiet..

In the process of sourcing the right Rx, servo, motor, prop and battery for my conversion and I re-read the original article. I guess it's a typo but for it to say that both models came in at under 10g is pushing the bounds of credibility!!
I'm guessing it means 100g….
Although it's an interesting article I'd love some more details after all, it would be a shame to end up not learning anything from Paul's experiences.