don't know what I'm doing!

riverlandgirl.

Hi every one.

I've been given the task of setting up a quad copter for a friend, but I don't know the first thing about them.

I've got it all asembled and everything plug in, hopefully correctly, following some instructions from the net. When I pluged in the battery and tried to follow the set up instructions, nothing went as it should. So before i start making expensive wisps of smoke I thought it best to seek advice!

this is what happens:

plug in the battery and try to disarm the board by closed throttle and right rudder, as per instructions, and the speed controllers all start beeping, and the motors twitch, but nothing else happens.

I'm using an old mode one radio and a 3 cell lipo. Here are photos of my set up, so you can see if I've done something wrong

Many thanks

Lynn

dscf5802 (640x480).jpg

dscf5805 (640x480).jpg

dscf5806 (640x480).jpg

I've tripple checked that all the plugs are in the right place and all the right way around!

Advert

I'm not a quadcopter person either, but a couple of possibilities to start with...

Could it just be the usual Futaba issue with electrics, ie. the throttle channel needs reversing?

Or else, being mode 1, is the channel assignment correct, ie. elevator, ailerons, throttle, rudder outputs from the receiver going to the correct inputs on the quad board?

Hi, if all your channels are connected to the flight controller correctly, then it could be that as previously stated the throttle channel needs reversing. Sometimes I have also found that the throttle trim needs to be at its lowest point. do you have any idea which flight controller you have installed?

Also I hope you don't mind me mentioning this, but I notice that you have a 40mhz receiver installed, if you are in the UK you should not be using this as 40mhz is for ground use only.

Several things, first off I know nothing about quadcopters and don't want to but your radio set up, receiver aeriel doesn't seem to be properly extended and is the transmitter on the same frequency and crystal as the rx? Is there any significance in mode 1 ie are the throttle and rudder channels correctly connected?

Could you be getting interference in the cables there? I'd try it on 2.4 radio, purely for experimental purposes you understand.

Final point is the main connector set up with correct polarity? The photo isn't that clear.

Edited By Braddock, VC on 10/05/2014 05:37:56

Hi Lynn,

Im not familiar with that FC board, what is it? Some boards need setting up really accurately with respect to centre points and end points. Try extending the servo end points on the TX for throttle and rudder then try arming again.

Edited By Chris Jones 7 on 10/05/2014 07:37:24

Thanks for the replies.

I've tried reversing the throttle, no better.

The flight controller is Hextronic, other than that I don't know.

Not in the UK, so 40meg is ok (don't have 2.4) The radio is the same one I use for my planes,so no problem there.

The LED on the board flashes once only, so it would seem that it is not disarming. Also the only electrical connection between the flight board and power distribution board is via the speed controllers. Is this correct?

Here is a clearer photo.

dscf5804 (640x480).jpg

Hi Lynn,

There is a manual for your board here **LINK**

I have had a quick look at it and there is a section on throttle range adjustment that can be done on the board and not the TX. Hopefully it may get you running.

hope you didn't mind me asking about the 40mhz, it's just that I have seen several people in the UK using it on planes.

Cheers Adrian

Hi Lynn,

Has your friend got experience of flying helicopters? If he doesn't then I would not recommend this board for a novice as it is lacking in any self-levelling facilities unless an additional stabiliser is fitted, but then why bother when you can get something like a KK2 which includes self level for not a lot of money?

If he is comfortable flying helicopters then stick with what you have and try to adjust your Tx trims a bit at a time until it arms. I would suggest you do this with the props off.

I am not sure if you can connect the board to a GUI like Multiwii. If you can you can then see if your Tx inputs are having the correct effect.

Thanks Adrian, That's most helpful, I shall give it a try. No problem at all about you asking me about the 40 meg!

Tony, Neither Will or I have any heli experience, other than those little toy ones, which I'm sure don't count!

From the sounds of it, this board may not be at all suitable. I shall inform Will, and see how he wishes to proceed. Thanks.

Lynn,

Those little ones are great fun, but they all have some degree of self levelling. This makes them easier to fly as they stop when you release the sticks. This board does not. If you go left, the quad will continue to pitch to the left until you give an opposite command. I fly RC aircraft with ailerons (which have similar properties) so you would have thought I would be fine with no self level. Wrong! The first time I tried it I crashed! I was totally out of my comfort zone.

My advice is to replace the flight board with something like a KK2 flashed to firmware 1.5 or 1.6. These are so easy to set up and fly real fine. They are also cheap! You can switch self level on or off, so when you get proficient you can turn it off and start doing aerobatics. If you get one that is not flashed there are several people here who can talk you through it or even do it for you.

Later on you can get a more expensive flight controller that allows things like return to launch and mission planning etc but this will also require GPS to be fitted with additional cost. If all you want is a bit of quad fun the KK2 wont disappoint.

Hmmm, I have a friend who has been setting up a quad on a very simple radio and to be honest it's a real pain in the backside. Digital trims are a real benefit, on my friends quad he is running a KK2 board and a least with that he can go into the reciever test and ensure his trims are zero before takeoff. With your board and an analogue radio I think it could result in quite a bit of heartache!

If changing the radio is not an option I would definately go with Tony's suggestion of a KK2 board. The new one has actually seperated the LED screen and control buttons from the board so if you buy one you only need more boards, very clever!

Chris is spot on. Flight controllers are sensitive to trims. You need to get everything as close to zero as possible. Without linking to a GUI or having a LCD screen its trial end error until it arms. Then you need to tune the gyros until it flies like you want it too. A bit of a curfuffle. That is why something like the KK2 is great for beginners. Unless something is wrong with the quad it should be able to fly right after the firmware is loaded.Other flight controllers are available of course, and I don't have shares in the KK2 (wish I did though!).

I have not noticed any on your quad, but the other thing you should really do is add a load of LED's, say white on the front, red on the rear or what ever you want. A quad looks the same from any direction and it is very easy to loose orientation. Don't ask me how I know. wink 2

I'd add another vote for the KK2 board. Very easy to use and simple to program. One thing I have found that is very different in approach with quads compared to planes is that really you do hardly anything on the Tx - its better to do it all on the FC. With the first quad I tried I was forever trying to trim it - and never really succeeded! Once I switched to KK2 (and trusted it!) all was honky dory!

BEB

A good point from BEB, I have 4 quads a tricopter and a Hex all flying on the same model memory on my Taranis! Might have to move the Hex when I add the gimble but just illustrates that the TX does next to nothing, all the settings including Expo, end points, sub trims etc are all done on the Flight Controller, and I'm using three different types - KK2, MultiWii and a Naza lite!

Hi there.

Thank you everyone for your very appreciated advice!

It would seem that we are indeed trying to do everything the difficult way. It would seem that a KK2 would be the way to go.

Shows the value of asking for advice before starting a project, don't it!

I shall forward this entire thread on to Will, and let him make the executive decision! (or shall I say nothing and build four planes?)

Again, many thanks

Lynn and Will

Are all the stick movements set to zero?----I copied the transmitter flight characteristics of an IC plane (Cougar) on my Futaba gear for an electric plane (YAK 55). Of course all the the wing/tail functions were OK but it was necessary to set the throttle movement to zero adjustment otherwise the motor would not start.

MJE

Just to clarify, the 'copied over' throttle settings were for the Cougar engine (Enya 35) to idle. So the trim on this setting had to be set to zero and of course the throttle stick held at the zero position for the electric motor to start in the YAK 55.

The 10 memory Futaba transmitter I have as a time saver, allows you to copy the characteristics of plane 1 for the sake of argument to a plane to be newly set up,say plane 3. This is useful if plane 3 is similar to plane 1. Then all that is necessary is to change the name of the plane on plane 3 set-up and set all the trims to zero if necessary but especially the throttle setting trim if plane 3 is electric. Of course other adjustments are necessary.

Sorry if this is basic knowledge and not applicable to this blog.

MJE

• 2 weeks later...

Those beeping ESCs and twitching motors remind me of what happened when I powered on my first quad (bought second hand). In my case I fixed it by calibrating the boards Acceleremoters and my Radio with the ESCs (have a KK2 board).

FWIW I totally agree about the KK2 being the most sensible choice for a beginner (speaking as a beginner ).

Good luck