Penn Models Four-Channel Super Sixty.

penn models super sixty (3).jpgpenn models super sixty (5).jpgLong before ARTF trainers were commonplace and even foam veneered wings were a rarity, back in the days when you had to build your own trainer, there was at least one ARTF option available to British aeromodellers. Penn Models of Kingswinford in the West Midlands would build a Keil Kraft Super Sixty for you which differed from the standard Super Sixty in that it was a four-channel model with inset ailerons.

I was fortunate enough to acquire what certainly appears to be a Penn Models Super Sixty just before Christmas 2013. The model was offered on eBay but there were no takers. As the owner lived less than thirty miles from my home, I put in an offer, £70 IIRC, which was accepted. For this I got a Penn Models Super Sixty, a spare wing, all of the servos, a switch and Magnum 52 fourstroke.

How do I know it's a Penn Models model? Well, apart from the inset ailerons, (most modellers when converting a Super Sixty wing would fit strip ailerons as per the Ben Buckle option,) it was the colour scheme which gave it away! All Penn Models Super Sixties, apart from a few made to special order, were finished with Cub Yellow fuselages with red wings. One of my wings has yellow bands presumably to cover up old repairs. I had a spare set of decals for "Dick Barton," the Super Sixty I built for the 2012 Greenacres Event, so they went onto the other wing.

I have not flown it yet but I have installed a receiver and bound it to my new DX9 transmitter. Finding out how to set up the rates was a bit of a problem for one educated in the liberal arts, there was a distinct lack of instructions in what I would call clear and concise English, but by muddling through I eventually found out how to set them up.

Does anyone else have a Penn Models Super Sixty? There was one at the vintage event at Cocklebarrow last year powered by a red Irvine 40.

Maybe we could start an informal club!

penn models super sixty (4).jpg

Advert

It's obviously been well-flown and I suppose it's a bit of aeromodelling history. I confirmed with Penn Models on Friday that nearly all of their Super Sixties were finished in red and yellow.

Before I acquired this one I contacted Penn Models to see whether they would build one for me. It appears that they might still build one for you if you ask them.

I've run up the engine manually and it goes very well.

Just waiting for this wind to drop before flying it.

Maidened it this afternoon as well as my new DX9 transmitter! Pleased to report that all went well. It wanted to turn right all of the time but I sorted it on the trims and will adjust it mechanically tomorrow.

The engine ran faultlessly; I didn't have to touch anything.

I think that Penn had them built by a chap near me who used to make and sell them. They were all finished in the same colours and all featured rubber band secured under carriages and a choice of regular or aileron wing.

Loads of people from our club had one from him and they are very well built.

I recently rescued one that was destined for disposal and turned it into this

img_0149.jpg

Posted by KingKade on 22/05/2014 20:51:57:

If we're talking interior design, surely the bin in the doorway would be a bit obstructive?

cheeky

I had to move the bin to make space for the model! cheeky

I agree with your point about the model being an excellent trainer King Kade. It makes even my landings look good, that's why the wooden prop hasn't broken!

For those who are interested, the Super 60 flies more quickly than a Junior 60. We proved it at the flying field on Wednesday. I put it down to the Junior 60's undercambered wing section. That means however, that the Super 60 will handle a breeze better than its older cousin.

Edited By David Davis on 23/05/2014 06:14:38

Well, how about that then. I am 73 years old and I built my first Super 60 when I was stationed in Germany in 1960.

It was covered in plain an coloured tissue, and I used to stink the block out when I was doping the thing down. In those days I only had the option of rubber powered escapements for rudder and elevator, with the two winders down the back in front of the tail-plane. I have got an old Super Sixty in my garage now waiting for a refurb, and a Ben Buckle kit with the aileron wing plan, waiting to be built. I just need to find some time from my other builds that are in progress, then I will have two of them to fly.

I doubt whether my refurb job was a Penn Model's build. Its all in red Solartex. Am gonna spray it in brighter colours and give it new servo's and possibly an NGH9 petrol engine, waiting in my shed.

We should consider a Super Sixty "Fly-in".