Cessna 152 Aerobat

Advert

Well following a socially active bank holiday Monday and a stinking hangover yesterday it’s back to the job in hand. Its time to make the decking, start with a block of polystyrene foam.

dscn5785.jpg

Now mark out the blanks you will require, the Cessna has 5 decking’s so I will requires 5 blocks.

dscn5786.jpg

Once you have marked and drawn you cut lines on the foam you will need a couple of straight edges (I use two old light-ply fuselage sides from my Hammerhead kit) apply some double sided tape on one side of you straight edge, remove the backing tape and place on the cut line.

dscn5787.jpg

You will also need to add a few pins to hold your straight edge in place, one you have a straight edge on each side of the foam you are ready to cut.

dscn5788.jpg

Place some weight on the foam bock to stop it moving.

dscn5791.jpg

And cut.

dscn5790.jpg

Once you have cut out your decking blanks you are ready to cut out the decking’s, for this I build decking jigs with a cutting profile at each end, I do it this way because I will be cutting a lot of decking’s for my kit’s and they all have to be identical, however if you are going to be cutting one set of decking’s or indeed if you only require one deck then you can just stick (double sided tape and pins) cutting profiles at each end of the foam blank.

dscn5792.jpg

Once the deck is cut out trial fit it to the fuselage to check the fit.

dscn5793.jpg

Now we need to apply the decking skin to the foam deck. I use 1/16” soft balsa sheet for the rear decks and 1/8” soft balsa sheet for the mid and front decks, this is because the front of the Cessna is quite curvy so I will need to sand the 1/8” balsa to achieve a nice finish.

First apply two coats of white PVA glue to the foam decks allowing each coat to dry between coats.

dscn5794.jpg

Next sand the edges of your balsa sheets till they are nice and flat so that they can be joined.

dscn5797.jpg

Now lay your balsa sheet flat on your board and but them together holding in place with tape (I find brown packing tape works best)

dscn5798.jpg

Now turn the sheets over and place something underneath the balsa sheets so that they form a small V where they but together, now run some white PVA glue all along the V.

dscn5799.jpg

Lay the balsa sheets flat and scrape off the excess glue and leave to dry.

dscn5800.jpg

Once the balsa sheet have dried it can be glued to the decking’s. I use spray on carpet adhesive from B&Q.

dscn5821.jpg

Warning, this adhesive is solvent based so you can’t spray it directly on to the foam, this is why the two coats of white PVA were applied to the decks earlier.

The two photos below show the deference between applying the adhesive with and without the protective PVA glue. The first one show’s how the adhesive instantly eats in to the foam and the second shows how the two coats of PVA glue protect the foam and prevents the adhesive from eating in to it. You can get some none solvent based adhesive but I find that they just don’t have the same instant bonding qualities as the solvent based stuff.

dscn5803.jpg

dscn5805.jpg

First spray a coat of adhesive on to the deck.

dscn5807.jpg

Followed by a coat on the balsa, now leave until dry but still tacky.

dscn5808.jpg

Place the foam deck centrally on to the balsa sheet and roll until they bond together.

dscn5810.jpg

Trim off the excess balsa.

dscn5811.jpg

dscn5812.jpg

Place the deck back in to the foam blank and sand the ends and base flat.

dscn5813.jpg

dscn5814.jpg

Finally glue balsa sheet at each end of the deck to cap it off.

dscn5815.jpg

Here are the finished decks ready to be glued to the fuselage.

dscn5818.jpg

It is simple sir, if I can do it anyone can.

How’s the Fairey Fulmar coming along? Your little cartoon model has reignited something inside me for this old war bird, because I’m thinking more seriously about building a nice big scale one, though I will first, have to re-join the LMA and beg for my place back at our local LMA club Longhorsley, up here in Northumberland.

Then I will need to find a full-size to go visit, I think they have one in the Imperial War Museum Duxford, if not I might have to go for the firefly because they have one of those at Hendon. Some more research to be done on this one I think.

Richie

Richie, the Fulmar is in the Fleet Air Arm museum in Yeovilton. It's even more interesting because it's the original prototype. It was retained by Fairey and did a load of development work, it's to full production standard.

If you're looking for something else interesting while you're down there, among other things they've got one of the original Westland Wyvern TF1s fitted with the massive Rolls Royce Eagle 24 cylinder piston engines, 3,500 hp. It looks quite different to the production versions with the Armstrong Siddeley Python turbo-prop and is effectively brand new, because it was never flown.

Too many things to do.

Thanks Colin, if there is a Fulmar at Fleet Air Arm museum in Yeovilton, a Fulmar it is then, and you are right there is so much to choose from. Personally my two favourite aircraft are the FW190 A8 and the Hawker Typhoon Mk 1 but they along with most other fighters of WW2 have all been done to death, and I have already done them both so I’m looking for something quite different, something you don’t see everyday and as this will be my first real project in over 18 years so it has to be something special and I feel the Fulmar offers exactly that.

Thanks again, you have saved me some time trolling the internet to find a full size to base my model on. Just some decent three view to find that I can scan in to my drawing software, I have some three views but at 1/72 they are not good enough for what I intend to do.

Richie

Good stuff Richie. A day at Yeoviltown is a great thing to do, you'll be amazed at what's there these days. You can get close up to the Fulmar as well, I've got a couple of pictures. Aerodynamically it's perfect for a model, a guaranteed flyer, I reckon. It was derived by Fairey from a small light bomber prototype designed by Marcel Lobelle as a follow on to the Battle.

Apologies for not posting on here for a while but I have had some problems with my old PC’s, I had two of them die on me last week, it was totally my own fault as I had installed one design software package too many resulting in total shutdown due to lack of memory. I have now binned the old ones and replaced them with bigger and better PC’s so the problem has now been resolved, I’m just in the process of installing all of the necessary software, so normal post will resume shortly.

Richie

Thanks for the links sir, I have just ordered both of them to add to the ones I already have, one can never have to many reference book can one, I just need to find a good set of three view scale drawings with details of the undercarriage angles, and that folding wing (which I am really looking forward to tackle) etc then I can start designing my model.

Richie

Thanks Tony, I already have a set of three views of the Fulmar which I could use to design the models airframe but they don't show any detail of how the undercarriage retracts or how the wing folds back.

I think a few begging letters or e-mails sent to the right people could be in order, you never know, if the gods are on my side I might be able to get my hands on some copies of the original blueprints, fingers crossed.angel

there's a saying up here in the frozen north ' shy bairns get nowt ' which means, if you don't ask something you will never get it.

Richie

Here we go again, on with the foam wings, for those of you who have never made foam wings, I think I should say at this stage that the Cessna wing is probably not the best choice of wing to use for your first attempt, this is due to the wing shape and the fact that it has to be made out of four panels.

Anyway start by cutting the required root, centre and tip templates out of 3mm birch-ply, you will need 8 in total. Now mark and cut out the wing blanks to the required shape.

Top tip, once you have all of your templates cut out, run some ZAP thin along the cutting edge, allow it to dry then sand with 1200 grade wet and dry (used dry) do this three times, this will help you achieve a super smooth cut.

dscn5866.jpg

dscn5867.jpg

dscn5868.jpg

Now mark the position where the rib templates are to be attached to the wing blanks.

dscn5870.jpg

Draw a centre line at each end on each of the templates, the vertical line in the photo indicates how much of the template you have to leave hanging over the edge of the foam block. This is the run in for the hot wire.

dscn5871.jpg

Now stick and pin the wing templates to the foam cores, stick the top templates on first then the bottom ones which are a mirror image of the top ones, this will ensure that you make left and right wing panels.

dscn5872.jpg

Set up your block so that you will be cutting at a comfortable height, use a couple of clamps and double sided tape and a suitable weight on top to stop the block sliding forward when you are cutting.

dscn5873.jpg

Always start cutting from the rear pulling the hot wire towards you, let the wire cut at its own pace don’t be tempted to force it to cut too fast or the ends of the hot wire will finish

cutting before the centre which will cause a dip in the leading edge of the wing.

dscn5874.jpg

Cut the top of the template first then the underside. Then turn the panel over and cut out the other one

dscn5875.jpg

Now you should have two identical centre panels.

dscn5876.jpg

Repeat for the outer panels.

dscn5877.jpg

You should now have the four panels that will make up the classic shape of the Cessna wing.

dscn5878.jpg

next you will need to bore some servo extension lead holes through the foam, to do this lay the inner panels flat on your board, next place some packing on your board so that the top of the packing is level with the bottom of the cutting hole on the rib template (sorry I should have mentioned earlier in the thread that you will need to drill these holes in to the rib templates) next use double sided tape to stick a straight edge on to the foam core, this is to guide your cutting tool through the foam.

dscn5881.jpg

using a length of brass tube sharpened at one end bore through the foam, ensuring that you tool is flat against the packing and running straight along your straight edge..

dscn5882.jpg

only cut a small amount at a time, removing the tool from the foam panel after each cut and cleaning out the excess foam with a length of wood. I find it easier to mark the tool so that you know when you have cut halfway through the foam, then turn the foam panel around and continue the cut from the other side until the holes meet in the middle.

dscn5885.jpg

there you go a perfect hole for running your servo extension leads through.

dscn5884.jpg

do the same for the outer panel but this time you only need to cut to the position where your servo box will be positioned. once the holes are cut you can remove the rib templates.

dscn5886.jpg

now you need to glue the inner and outer panels together, start by laying some packing tape on to your bench, this is to stop the panels sticking to the bench during gluing.

dscn5887.jpg

glue the outer and inner panels together using laminating epoxy (slow setting, because this will soak into the foam creating a stronger bond) now wrap the entire joint with packing tape, this will stop the epoxy running out of the joint and form a nice smooth finish, now lay the two wing halves topside down and leave to cure over night. Next job will be to skin the two wing halves.

dscn5888.jpg