Design & Build Short Stirling

img_20150302_090525.jpg

Hi Colin,

My feeling is that each and every modeller has got his own skills and lacks. The best tool we have nowadays is the web, as it allows us to share our skills. It's like music: if you compose a wonderfull tune and nobody can hear and enjoy it... I have my own lacks and have to turn around them all the time. It's a real thrill and a good way to fight versus aging (nit senility yet). Here is all the lot of high technology tools I used to build the LG. If I can do it, anyone can do it.

Advert

Yes Colin,

Very distracted indeed and like you lacking in certain skills. I failed my CSE metalwork, fate had other plans for me and I spent 3 days in hospital after a bad cycle accident and missed the practical as a result, apparently being in hospital was not a good enough excuse to do a re-sit.

That aside David's work is fantastic especially looking at the tools used. I have most of them but alas my knowledge / skills are lacking.

As I'm on here's a little update,

I have fixed the nacelles and fitted the motors along with the wiring for the ailerons and sheeted the rear section of the wing.

dsc00753.jpg

Aileron servos placed in position and wired. I'll mount the servo on a ply plate later.

dsc00754 (800x533).jpg

Rear sheeting done.

dsc00756 (800x533).jpg

Motor alignment in pairs

dsc00878 (800x533).jpg

Nacelles glued in place and motors fitted.

That's all for now

Next I'll wire the motors and retracts plus start building those nacelles and start to think about the cowls

Regards

Robert

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

Another update and I still haven't started the nacelles. They will be next but work has been and is busy also family life and a bit of working on the house take up my time.

But still progress is being made.

With 4 motors and 4 speed controllers takes a bit of soldering, but all done now except the final wing connections, leads have been put in place for the retracts and the bottom sheeting completed, leading edges shaped and wingtips added and shaped.

dsc00882 (800x533).jpg

dsc00884 (800x533).jpg

Wingtips from two laminations of 12mm balsa joints staggered. When cut out each weighed 23 grams before shaping.

dsc00885 (800x533).jpg

Fitted and shaped overall wingspan 73"

dsc00883 (800x533).jpg

Jumping back to the fuselage my first attempt at making a plug for the bomb aimers canopy I have also started on the main cockpit canopy.

I also got a great book from ebay at a good price Stirling in Combat, this is very interesting plus some flying tips, like ground looping and the fin and rudder are blanketed by the fuselage whilst starting take off due to the high undercarraige plus the full size could out turn a spitfire!! love to have seen that also it would not spin just a slow spiral unlike the eary Halifaxes, all very good to know before the maiden.

That's all for now.

I hope to make a start on the nacelles soon.

Regards

Robert

Edited By Robert Parker on 16/03/2015 18:56:04

Regarding canopies, turrets, blisters etc, always keep an eye out for any clear plastic packaging, it's amazing what just happens to be suitable.

I recently scratch built a Lancaster, and just about all my 'glassware' came from salvaged and modified clear packaging or plastic bottles.

You may have already decided, but I run the inner motors to one battery, outers to another, in the hopes that it will stop any asymmetrical power problems.

My 'fours', a Lancaster, Sunderland, and B-17.

Nice build, don't loose faith, I regularly had to walk away from a build for a while, but always got back, eventually. That first flight always makes it worth the heartache. wink

Ray.

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

I have tried to make best use of time in what little modelling time that I have had over the last few weeks and having had to work my Easter leave this did not impress me or my wife, and a busy work load coming up for the next few weeks.

However, here's what I've managed to do so far, as well as doing something I do not normally do and that is start another model, just to have a break from all the planking, the other plane is a 72" DH Chipmunk, it's been in the attic since forever.

dsc00921 (534x800).jpg

Formers and ply plate for the undercarriage

dsc00920 (534x800).jpg

Planking, lots of planking with 1/4 x 1/8 to form the curves

dsc00922 (800x533).jpg

dsc00923 (533x800).jpg

Some of the curves did not look right at this stage

dsc00927 (800x533).jpg

Very fiddly finishing off the planking

dsc01001 (533x800).jpg

But once sanded looks a lot better

dsc01002 (800x533).jpg

The outers were a piece of cake compared to the inners and if I'd sheeted them would have been even quicker

dsc01003 (800x533).jpg

Now the Stirling has quits a bit of curves around here

dsc01004 (800x533).jpg

To keep the weight down I used these scraps turned it round and

dsc01007 (800x533).jpg

Ended it like thisdsc01008 (800x533).jpg

Very pleased with the out come.

Next, I'll have a go at the cowlings and cut out for the retracts.

Also, now that the kids have eaten their Easter eggs I now have plenty of material for the canopies.

Edited By Robert Parker on 18/04/2015 17:17:41

Hi All,

Just a very brief update, managed to grab half an hour this evening and to use an old carpenters adage "it fits straight off the saw", well almost.

I'm feeling quite chuffed at the momentsmiley, it all lined up nicely just a tweek on the wing seating.

dsc01027 (800x533).jpg

dsc01028 (800x533).jpg

dsc01029 (800x533).jpg

The wings are just placed in position, when I looked side on it looked right with the motors tilted slightly upwards

Feeling very relieved and pleased with myself, almost a year since drawing began.

That's all for now

Regards

Robert

Hi All,

Thanks for the positive feedback.

Simon, most of it will be cut away when I install the retracts, when retracted about a third of the wheel protrudes out of the nacelle as per full size, well that is my plan anyway. I wanted to fully sheet the underside to ensure the curves flowed into each other.

Regards

Robert

Edited By Robert Parker on 22/04/2015 20:03:05

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

Just a quick update after spending most of the day working in the attic making shelves and racking to hold my fleet of aircraft.

I started on the "blanks" for the canopies.

Just need to add the "framing" then work out how I'm going to make them, any ideas??? which works best???

dsc01030 (800x533).jpg

I'm happy with the shape of the main cockpit

however,

dsc01031 (800x533).jpg

I think a bit more shaping is needed on the bomb aimers position, it's not a million miles off though

Regards

Robert

Hi Robert

Dennis Pritchard told me about your Stirling this AM. Wow very impressive especially as I have always had a yen to build one. I do have Towners plan of the rubber powered model and keep thinking someday! My other favourite is of course the Beaufighter. I had a colleague who flew them during the war and he was not complimentary!

Look forward to hearing about your progress

Regards

Jim Andrews

Hi Jim,

Thanks for your comments. I have a set of plans for rubber power as well, and did have them blown them up to 72" but I thought against it. I am enjoying the build but it has thrown some issues at me now and again and quite a bit of head scratching plus a bit of "I'll put that aside till later...", but overall it's not been to bad a build. This evening I have fitted the wings to the fuselage and glued in the dowel on the wing leading edge to locate in the fuselage.

However, I was told today that I'm working over the weekend, again so not much will be done over the weekend period and I see flying is out this Sunday as well.

Hope to see you at the patch one Sunday come and say hello, Dennis will point me out.

Did you mention the Beaufighter ? I built one last year,Take a look at the thread "Building Tony's Beaufighter", it's a lot easier building someone else's plans I can tell you that. One day I will maiden her when I've got the courage.

When I manage to get to the patch next I'll be maidening my Astro Hog fitted with an RCV 58 weather permitting, I flew one of these years ago and loved it.

dsc02529 (1280x853).jpg

dsc02534 (1280x853).jpg

Regards

Robert

Hi All,

I have had to re-locate my modelling room after much kicking and screaming, I am now in the attic, hopefully as a temporary measure whilst I do some building work on the house later on in the summer.

I have fitted the wing dowel and wing bolts, only 1mm difference from wing tip to tail, not too bad and I have fitted the belly pan, still not sure if to make it a structural item the fus seems still very stiff even with a large chunk taken out of it for the wings.

dsc01123 (800x536).jpg

dsc01124 (800x533).jpg

My new work bench in the background with a Chippie well underway. I considering using tissue and dope to cover the Stirling.

For those of you that recall that I had a some work being undertaken by others and was top secret well I.m still waiting for the items and getting very miffed with the whole thing, seemed a good idea at the time, I first contacted the company just before Christmas and I paid for them back in February angry , I'm starting to loose my patients a bit to say the least and not a happy bunny, it is starting to slow down my building progamme. I was hoping to fly her this summer but this is looking a little doubtful

sorry just needed to have a little rant

Regards

Robert

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All,

Having returned from a weeks camping in sunny Cornwall, I'm feeling very positive smiley and have had a good weekend working on the Stirling, I had hoped to fly today but too wet and windy sad.

I have made the undercarriage legs and was inspired by David Toureille's scale undercarriage which can be seen on previous comments above, in using oleos rather than straight wire legs, adding some scale bracing did give me some thinking and it took me three attempts to get right but I'm happy with the outcome.

dsc01498 (800x533).jpg

Started with some 12mm stock bar and drilled the holes at 4.8mm, yes the center ones are off center this brings the bar just to miss the main retract unit, learnt that from my Beaufighter build.

dsc01501 (533x800).jpg

Having heated up the bar to cherry red the 5mm pins were fitted and the 130mm oleos slide onto the pins.

dsc01502 (800x533).jpg

After two attempts of making clamps for the bracing I opted to drill the oleos slightly to accept the brass tube and soldered them together. Metalwork is not my best subject and I am pleased with the finished item although not totally true to scale, bracing wise anyway.

dsc01503 (800x533).jpg

Also, I made the tail wheel assembly and in keeping with the full size using twin wheels, hope it handles OK.

Next, I will fit the legs to the retracts and check that they work OK and then see how she looks the right way up standing proud on her new legs, hope I've got the angles right!!!

Following that it's out the the tissue and dope.

Regards

Robert

Hi Robert,

Great job!

Your oleos look fine, where did you get them from? Dis you solder the brass tube fairings to the oleos or only pull them into the holes you drilled?

I will soon make an attempt of soldering alu parts. If I can do that, I will rebuild the entire undercarriage using only alu tubes (witn some carbon inside). This should surely make it lighter.

Here is my first attempt with tail wheels. As you can see, I really can't make the things as simple as you do.

I like to make it complicated.

img_20150601_090753.jpg

img_20150601_091019.jpg

The retract system comes from a broken servoless. I have to think more about steering. It needs another shape for the bellcrank to allow well steering when down and no steering when up.

I'm looking for new wheels for the main undercarriage. Those I have are only 4" and should be 4,5" and 45mm wide. Have an idea?

Regards

Hi David,

I got the oleos from Hobby King, USA took about two weeks to arrive. With the bracing, I drilled the oleos pinched in the cross piece and added a small amount of epoxy then fitted the diagonal braces in and again a small amount of epoxy in the top hole and then soldered the brass tube.

You have put a lot of work and effort in your tailwheel assembly. I used a retracting tailwheel on my last project and it took me a little thinking on how to steer when down and not to steer when retracted, I used a closed loop control setup which when the wheels are retracted the closed loop goes slack and although attached to the rudder servo no steering is passed onto the wheels until lowered and the cables go taught again.

As for the main undercarriage wheels, I got mine from e-bay, just happened to come across them whilst looking for something else.

Regards

Robert

Hi All,

Well she's now standing proud on her own legs.

dsc01506 (800x533).jpg

Looking good and the "sit" is about right too.

dsc01510 (800x533).jpg

As you can see I've putting off making the cowls and canopies, now starting to run out of other jobs

dsc01504 (800x533).jpg

Gear up

dsc01505 (800x533).jpg

I may re-make the tail wheel assembly a little too flimsy

That's all for now, just received the tissue and dope today so hopefully this weekend I'll start the wings.

Regards

Robert

Edited By Robert Parker on 03/06/2015 20:53:01