Cub Conversion

Tom Wright  2

My old Piper Cub with wing damage had been neglected due to the fact that much larger Cubs now inhabit my hanger ,so following an evenings work making a wing mount plate mast and adding set of 450 rotors saw the model ready for a try the following day .

The first flight saw the model climbing away nice and straight with just a click or two required for roll and pitch trim with the coupled rudder giving a nice flat turn into the cross wind leg .She held directional stability well on finals and touched down smoothly despite the narrow track undercarriage ....more later.

cub gyro.jpg

Tom

Advert

Hi Chrisie

Thanks for the post , TBQH it was easy and it flies so well that I have now recovered the blades to match the Cub Yellow and have started on a mast mount faring to tidy things up,and might even re do the fin to improve the looks .

Just in case you get around to having a dabble with rotary wings all the tricky bits you need to convert a fixed wing are available from AJ Blades and Malcolm at Coolwind Models . The simple mast mount plate is held on by a front peg and two T/E bolts, so conversion back to fixed wing can be done at the field .

I know you like a challenge so why not have a go smile.

Tom.

Edited By Tom Wright 2 on 22/05/2014 21:42:55

Hi Steve

It looks similar to something DB did some time ago. Do you intend to ditch the wing and convert to a single rotor? if so its a matter of firstly predicting the AUW ,.This can then be used to establish blade size and rotor loading. It looks to be close to panther size or is it smaller?

Tom.

Edited By Tom Wright 2 on 22/05/2014 22:46:47

After covering the blades to match the rest ,today I found a better looking prop and spinner combo , finished off the mast and made a start on the mast base faring . As a finishing touch I might also add some to the U/C legs.

Incidentally this model has single axis head with pitch controlled by elevator so to optimise the mast angle the mast has a pivot bolt at the base and a through bolt fish plate slot above to facilitate adjustment between three and six degrees. The mast ,head ,and rotors are as per a standard CFL , but with a cosmetic addition to stream line the roll servo .

Will get a photo of the tided up version tomorrow.

Tom.

Tom,

Your getting the taste for it again! nice work as always.

Steve,

Tom is correct, what you have is a David Boddington designed 'Gyrace', there are two types of blades shown on the plan. The first is a 4 bladed rotor made with 1/8" sheet hard balsa overlapped in the centre to give incidence as per his earlier DB sport Gyro. With the second version having 3 lifting blades as per what you have, these have an alloy blade holder which is twisted to give the profiled blades a tad of negative incidence. Not really a true autogyro but alot of fun!

A single rotor conversion would be a pretty easy, as you can see from the photo it is pretty similar in size to the Panther. If you copy the panther mast and shoe horn it to fit the Gyrace I am sure it would work.

img_3905.jpg

And here is a video of my friend Joe Waldo with his Gyrace conversion being flown back in 2008 at the US's gyro meet in Morris Illinois. He has several including an enlarged version, clever chap who helped me a lot when I first started out  with these contraptions!

Sorry for the crash on the thread Tom.

Rich

Edited By Richard Harris on 23/05/2014 19:39:41

Edited By Richard Harris on 23/05/2014 19:40:31

Nice one Rich , I prefer the "Gyrace" as a wingless single rotor , Steve could have the conversion done ready for Winterton wink 2.

Flew the Cub again this evening and was quite surprised at how it coped in the blowy conditions , I am now contemplating converting a 72" 182 .

Tom

Thank you Richard , For the reply ,

And the info and especially the Video .

As i do not have the plan nor do i wish to buy the plan for the Gyrace, as i would much prefer a true Auto gyro .

And so now i know of a mast and blades i can copy / use . and also the video shows how the landing gear needs to be set-up so that my prop is at 90 degrees to the ground when sat on the ground .

And i presume that the angle of my blades should match that of the panther ? .

Cheers Steve ,

Ps i few my AutoG again the other week so i am officially the 1st person to successfully fly a auto gyro at are field and it was witness by our club secretary and other club members smiley .

Although i only managed a couple of circuits before the battery started to lose power and so landed .

I am thinking of strapping a 2200Mah battery between the under carriage to give me more air time .