Danny's "poor mans Spitty"

Danny Fenton

Advert

Hi John, regular filler tends to be either too heavy, or too weak. The lightweight filler we use for balsa would not be strong enough to shape. The sort of filler we could use is Isopon a polyester car filler, but it would be a bit heavier than I would like. Microballoons and resin is a good mix of weight and strength, and sands at about the same rate as the glassed fus. If you have a filler that would work then go for it, but remember weight at the tail needs 5 times as much at the nose to balance

I used lithoplate under a lot of the fairing to save weight, so not much filler was needed.

Have fun

Cheers

Danny

It is very malleable if you anneal it, rub hand soap on the back and waft a blow lamp on the other side until the soap blackens and then it is very soft. Although for gentle or single curves its better used without annealing

Give it a go Colin you will be impressed!

Cheers

Danny

• 2 weeks later...

Using the same concept, but in a slightly different way. Bit of an after thought really. I was gonna have the canopy fixed but I'm getting the scale bug, so have had to put the Rails in afterwards. I am pretty chuffed that I managed to cut the groove in the brass strip by hand, with nothing clamped. Hopefully I can merge the same thing into tail fin? Must admit, I would be clueless without your blog Danny. I'm really enjoying this. Just a bit at a time. wp_20160318_19_13_07_pro.jpg

• 1 month later...