BP Defiant build

Advert

You'd need that many to replace the ones that got shot down. That'd give Terry something to "pine" about, you'd have to "branch" out into something different. I'm with Richie on the Fulmar, it's a great subject and the other one you don't see modelled is the Fairey Battle, it's a fantastic subject and got loads of atmosphere.

So much to do, so little time (sigh)!

Really? Is it that simple or is Tony a Balsa God who just makes it look easy?

It kinda looks as simple as drawing an outline, a couple of formers, some flat sheet tail feathers and a wing? Could it be made even more simple by a flat sheet wing? Will a scale drawing generally make a fly able model this way?

Chris (thinking of obscure models you can't get kits for!)

That's an interesting one Kevin. Might be worth a closer look.

Chris, I reckon if you are prepared to make a simple flat-sided fuselage to the right profile and depend on triangular balsa on the edges to allow for sanding in a bit of a profile, with a flat plate wing that we know works well on small to medium sizes, you probably can make a reasonable facsimile of most of the low wing monoplane types. I reckon up to 45/50" span is no problem, but of course this way 30" is perfectly ok as well.

In other words, exactly what you said!

thats the whole point chris and colin.

fast and simple to build cartoon scale models.

can be built almost completely from the scrap box.

went for 30" as it will fit in the car fully assembled.

could get half a dozen in is stacked.

small motors and batteries as well. so cheap to fit out.

just scale it up from a good 3 view, dont worry about it being not to scale, just have fun doing it.

A question Tony if you don't mind?

Can you explain how you came about the shape of the ribs? Have you just taken it from the line drawing? If so then how do you work down to the tips? Is it just the same profile cut short?

Im considering using the same techniques for a depron build and was considering a flat plate wing but yours looks fairly simple to build.

hello.

the rib is just a clark y .

to reduse them heading out to the tip i draw the wing plan first and then measure the length of each rib and draw it up reducing the height by a couple of mm on each one until i get to the tip.

its probably not the right method, but it works for me.

If it works why fix it Tony, yes my guess is that if each rib say is for arguments sake 10% shorter along its length than its inboard neighbour then its depth will also be 10% lower, but this will prob get you into the realms of micro decimals of a mm so some generalisation will be needed

Like I said at the beginning whatever works for you

Phil