Cambrian Spitfire Mk IX Build Log

Thanks for your comments gentlemen.

Peel ply has arrived so I have made a start on glassing the wing and control surfaces - another first for me.

I am using Z-Poxy finishing resin, which I am mixing by weight at a 1:1 ratio, applied with a foam brush. The glass cloth is a 18g/Sq mtr. I found that I had to be careful not to open up the weave when applying the resin - dabbing as apposed to brushing it on. It took longer than I had expected and I hope I got the peel ply on before it started to go off.

We will see what it looks like when I remove the peel ply.

img_2598.jpg

I have also obtained another pilot (painted) which is a bit bigger and longer in the body. Fits the cockpit better.

img_2599.jpg

More later...

Advert

• 1 month later...

Having finished the glassing I moved on to a bit of detailing.

The under wing radiators that were supplied with the kit seemed a bit fragile so I thought I would have a go at making some foam ones and will then glass fibre them.

I made a template from the plan.

img_2604.jpg

img_2606.jpg

img_2607.jpg

I placed a sheet of sandpaper on the wing and sanded the base of the radiator to fit.

img_2609.jpg

I also made the air intake for under the nose. This will hopefully help to cool the ESC.

img_2614.jpg

img_2615.jpg

Then onto the canons.

img_2618.jpg

These will be removable. I saw this method on the forum and thought I would give it a go.

The outer syringe will be glued into the leading edge of the wing and the canon can be slid in and out.

img_2619.jpg

More later...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

hi geoff

great job , i have been given one of these already built and want to convert to electric and am interested in the fitting of the retracts , you wouldn't have any measurements on the positioning of the holes in the wings as mine has been painted and don't want to do too much damage , have ya flown her yet

regards jez

thanks geoff

i will post some pics later ,as for the paint i have been using http://www.fighteraces.co.uk as the do a good range of realistic military colours ,i used on my vulcan and found them easy to get on with

jez

Hi Jez.

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

I have taken some measurements which are as follows:

The center of the wheel is 20cm from the wing joint and 11cm from the leading edge.

The center of the rear face of the retract unit is 7cm from the wing joint and 6cm from the leading edge.

Hope that makes sense.

Geoff...

img_2511.jpg

OK, I have started the painting phase of this build - this is something I have not tried before.

I have used Halfords Primer Filler and have sprayed two coats.

img_2694.jpg

img_2695.jpg

img_2696.jpg

I was expecting some filling and rubbing down but after two coats of filler primer, most of the weave is still visible.

img_2697.jpg

img_2698.jpg

Is this usual? I am mindful of adding too much weight with the paint finishing as I am very close to the 6lb A.U.W mark prior to painting.

Any comments gratefully received.

Geoff...

Hi Geoff,

I usually use wet and dry at this stage, by doing so you remove all of the high spots and then spray again and wet and dry again, this way you only keep the primer / filler you need thus keeping the weight gain down.

I have tried to down load some photos but the Geek internet is not too great compared to back in blighty. Have a look at one of my blogs,"building Tony's Beaufighter". Any further probs I'm back from hols in the next few days and have better internet connection.

Regards

Robert

Hi Robert.

Good of you to respond whilst you are on your Hols. Hope you are having a good time.

I will attack it with the wet and try - I was just a little disappointed at how little of the weave was filled with two coats of filler primer and wondered if I was doing something wrong.

I shall keep plodding on.

Geoff...

• 2 weeks later...