first heli ?

Phil 9

there are a few first helicopter threads but there are a number of new models available since they were written

Blade 120

Blade 200 with safe

Align trex 150

are the models I have been looking at but I cant really choose between them.

or is there a cheep and cheerful option I could go for?

I've had several coax heli's and had better luck than with my IC helis. My Blade 120 is the heli I have enjoyed the most (only indoor so far). Stable and seems to fly itself , can reccomend it. I've seen Align Trex 150's fly and seem very stable.

John

I have also seen a few eflight msr x models on the bmfa would they suite?

I know the three I mentioned in the OP have 3 axis stabilisation with the blade 200 having "safe" system with a return to level flight panic button (a feature I am tempted by)

MCP-x is the way forward, as it can be dummed down to be docile or set up to be a real hooligan and in either mode its tougher in a crash than any other collective pitch helicopter I have flown and they can handle the wind too so great for indoors or out.

Best advice I can give to a newcomer is invest in a decent 6, 7 or 8 channel computer transmitter and if Blade helicopters are your favoured brand then a Spektrum Dx6i, (or the newly announced Dx6) Dx7 or Dx8 are the ones to go for.

Barry

Posted by Barryorbik on 26/05/2014 22:05:41:

MCP-x is the way forward, as it can be dummed down to be docile or set up to be a real hooligan and in either mode its tougher in a crash than any other collective pitch helicopter I have flown and they can handle the wind too so great for indoors or out.

Best advice I can give to a newcomer is invest in a decent 6, 7 or 8 channel computer transmitter and if Blade helicopters are your favoured brand then a Spektrum Dx6i, (or the newly announced Dx6) Dx7 or Dx8 are the ones to go for.

Barry

I do have a very good tx but it is futaba fasst

Sorry to be late on parade but have been away.

My History...........own 40 plus Helis of all types, have trained more than 400 11-17 year olds to fly Helis since 2007, and helped a large number of adults.

Absolutely no way is a excellent in its way MCPX the ideal raw beginner Heli. The AS3X affects lift off through the spool up stage, actually applies a learning penalty, and while yes you can set it super stable once its up there, the correction reaction needed to stop it once its off balance is far higher than ideal for a raw beginner.

Ideal first try Heli for indoor use is the JPerkins Twister Sport, a complete 2.4GHz package for less than £40, spares availability, separate battery for quick changes and re-flying (buy HK Nano-Tech's and a multi charger lead), ultra light and well capable of surviving the rough and tumble of initial flight training. (I run six).

I'd also suggest buying a Hubsan Quad X4. Yes, its a Quad, but its cheap, super robust, well made, and flies superbly. (I run four of these)

Either will get you through the basic fear factor and orientation learning curve faster and cheaper than any other way.

Posted by Dave Bran on 06/06/2014 07:33:12:

Sorry to be late on parade but have been away.

My History...........own 40 plus Helis of all types, have trained more than 400 11-17 year olds to fly Helis since 2007, and helped a large number of adults.

Absolutely no way is a excellent in its way MCPX the ideal raw beginner Heli. The AS3X affects lift off through the spool up stage, actually applies a learning penalty, and while yes you can set it super stable once its up there, the correction reaction needed to stop it once its off balance is far higher than ideal for a raw beginner.

Ideal first try Heli for indoor use is the JPerkins Twister Sport, a complete 2.4GHz package for less than £40, spares availability, separate battery for quick changes and re-flying (buy HK Nano-Tech's and a multi charger lead), ultra light and well capable of surviving the rough and tumble of initial flight training. (I run six).

I'd also suggest buying a Hubsan Quad X4. Yes, its a Quad, but its cheap, super robust, well made, and flies superbly. (I run four of these)

Either will get you through the basic fear factor and orientation learning curve faster and cheaper than any other way.

Or a v911 from WL Toys. Around £40 delivered from various ebay an amazon sellers with the TX it's very robust, has good spares support - if you are OK with ordering from China, flies well.

i love my MCPX but it's a bit of a handful the first time you fly it. If you do go for it with the MCPX switch to to bullet blades...they are more stable and the heli doesn't jink around as much.

oh blush

I have already spent my money on the MCPx. What is the best way to make that work for me? I guess finding someone who can trim it out for me would be a good start

I do now have a sim and will wait until I can fly the sim reasonably before I fly the model

My mcpx just arrived and I could not resist giving it a go.

It came with a DX4e that will now be used for the sim only

well I can confirm it is a robust machine it took me 4 crashes before I managed to break it and then it was only a linkage. But not it is packed away awaiting a better tx more sim time and a friend who can help set it up for me.

Posted by Phil 9 on 06/06/2014 13:32:19:

My mcpx just arrived and I could not resist giving it a go.

It came with a DX4e that will now be used for the sim only

well I can confirm it is a robust machine it took me 4 crashes before I managed to break it and then it was only a linkage. But not it is packed away awaiting a better tx more sim time and a friend who can help set it up for me.

The MCPX is too small to learn on really, hence my suggestion.

It s very hard to get to grips with, initially, but it does get easier once the penny drops. Why get a "better" Tx for the model? The Dx4e is perfectly fine and does the job.

For help with heli flying try here: http://www.rchelicopterfun.com/rc-helicopter-training-gear.html.

Edited By John F on 07/06/2014 07:57:31

Posted by John F on 07/06/2014 07:56:07

Why get a "better" Tx for the model? The Dx4e is perfectly fine and does the job.

only because it was suggested earlier in this thread with a programmable Tx I could lower the rates to make the MCPX a little more docile

I have a HK450 GT and it is a very reasonable price but there were a few quality problems and I had to replace some parts with original align, mainly the tail slider, main gear and I used a set of original align screws to assemble the kit because the HK screws are made out of butter.