Deutsche Museum Part 1

Erfolg

I have just returned from a short break, where I visited the Deutsche Museum in Munich. There is a much larger museum at Sinheim (I think that is how it is spelt) by a massive factor. None the less the DM will fill a good half day.

Hear are the pictures I took

star1.jpg

starwing1.jpg

Getting up close, you realise that this is one small wing for such a big aircraft. The other thing that strikes yo, is that this cockpit is for the short and very thin only.

vj101.jpg

vj101engine.jpg

This vertical take of aircraft was about the same size as a Starfighter. Quite a long video of the acyual aircraft taking of, hovereing, side slipping, rotaing in the vicinty of the ground. Apparently adandoned due to dubgety restraints, need, and a good USA aircraft deal.

Perhaps of more interest to UK modellers is a full size engine and ducting, partly sectioned of a Pegasus engine from a Harrier. A lot of kit, no wonder it looks a little porky.

The vertical take of transorter is at Sinheim.

storm.jpg

storm2.jpg

storm3.jpg

schwalbe.jpg

I touched this aircraft (263), naughty, but had to. Parts are sectioned so that the structure can be viewed. I do not know if the finish is as built, but is quite flat, no sheen, though smooth.

The Messerschmitt (163) above, seems to be in better condition than most I have seen previously.

junkers f13.jpg

Junkers F13, one of a number of Junkers present. Surprisingly to me, the corrugations are blended where surfaces meet, to produce a sharp but wavy trailing edge. There is also a machine near by that took flat dural sheets then rolled them into a corrugation. Just a long old fashioned cloths mandrel, that your great granny used. Claims to be the worlds first all metal passenger aircraft.

junckers a50.jpg

In the fore ground is a Junkers A50 a sports plane, not many built, holder of a number of records for the time.

A Klemm can be seen in the background, which influenced many other small time manufacturers, apparently built in some form in the UK by BAC.

hansajet1.jpg

Hansa jet, swept forward wing, as Clean Sweep!

gross gf200.jpg

grob 200-1.jpg

A Grob 200, prototype all Composite aircraft.

natter&tochter.jpg

A Natter and Rheintochter. Both have a history, that differs upon who you believe. Or it could be that the history is one where all sources have to be melded into one. The Rheintochter, apparently did not launch to the designed height. Followed by the Esian, which flew to a proximity, then used Doppler and UV to find its target. Neither entered service, although launchers were found by the allies in operational locations.