Slope Soaring on the Isle of Wight

A group of us have just returned from a fantastic slope soaring trip to the Isle of Wight. I just wanted to highlight the excellent choice of slopes available over on the Island and share some of the many videos we took both on the ground and from the air using wing mounted HD video camera's. The vertical chalk cliffs of Culver Down were amazing and the lift was so smooth given the light winds. Anyway if your not too far of a drive from Portsmouth or your having a holiday on the Island then its well worth the effort as there are many slopes and cliffs to fly. Before anyone asks - No I don't work for the Isle of Wight tourist board! Smiley
Here is a link to our Sussex Slope Soaring blog where you can see our videos and read more about our slope trip to the Island: **LINK**

Advert

Posted by Paul Hampshire on 03/06/2014 07:32:34:

The vertical chalk cliffs of Culver Down were amazing and the lift was so smooth given the light winds.

Thats what I like, a bit of gung-ho... lobbing a model off a vertical cliff in light winds!

Is Keith Humber (of the 'Kema' series of gliders) still around?

Edited By Phil Green on 03/06/2014 13:06:06

• 2 weeks later...

Nice videos Paul, I used to fly down there a lot it's a good site.

For anybody going down that way, Culver has nice slopes further back down the road towards the fort for south westerlies and around the other side facing the Bembridge airfield you can get away with a northerly, although I used to find that a bit unpredictable at times and occasionally found myself thankful of an electric motor

There is another nice cliff over in the west of the island if anybody is visitng over that way.

r.